Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Chassis (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   1 piece floor vs 2 piece floor (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=13440)

jps 18th August 2014 01:06 PM

1 piece floor vs 2 piece floor

I posted over on Locostbuilders just to see what kind of advice I would get as to the process to follow when riveting/bonding an alu floor panel onto my chassis. (whether to rivet in a certain pattern/etc)...

Interestingly I got feedback from some respondents to say - don't use a 1 piece floor panel:

"Having the tunnel panelled just means it fills with cr@p from the road and there's reduced route for engine heat to exit.

Keep it simple and lighter, and just panel in each person's half. "

"I wouldnt worry about the tunnel either i had a Tiger with propshaft and i wouldnt have wanted the floor in the way for if i needed to check/work on it."

"My advice to this chappie (as another has said) is the *keep a separate tunnel floor section*. This can then be removed for prop inspections, etc., as well as getting the rubbish out. "

What do actual Haynes builders have to say about this though?

Davidbolam 18th August 2014 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jps (Post 98367)
I posted over on Locostbuilders just to see what kind of advice I would get as to the process to follow when riveting/bonding an alu floor panel onto my chassis. (whether to rivet in a certain pattern/etc)...

Interestingly I got feedback from some respondents to say - don't use a 1 piece floor panel:

"Having the tunnel panelled just means it fills with cr@p from the road and there's reduced route for engine heat to exit.

Keep it simple and lighter, and just panel in each person's half. "

"I wouldnt worry about the tunnel either i had a Tiger with propshaft and i wouldnt have wanted the floor in the way for if i needed to check/work on it."

"My advice to this chappie (as another has said) is the *keep a separate tunnel floor section*. This can then be removed for prop inspections, etc., as well as getting the rubbish out. "

What do actual Haynes builders have to say about this though?

Ive got 2 different panels as you can work on it without removing the tunnel top. (which is a right PITA)

alga 18th August 2014 05:39 PM

I went with two separate pieces. Some material/weight economy, more straightforward to cut out, easier access to the prop and diff, less crud gathering in the car. The only downside is slightly lower chassis rigidity.

Badger 18th August 2014 09:15 PM

I've gone for one big panel, but am planning to panel the bottom of the engine bay and diff cage also.

jason 82 19th August 2014 04:39 AM

My view on the subject is that surely a 1 piece floor adds more strength to the structure, weight wise, it's a small cut out really, we are talking a few kilos extra on a 100bhp + car, it's nothing. As long as you can access the diff to drop the bolts on the driveshaft, and slide the prop out, no problem !:D

flyerncle 19th August 2014 10:27 AM

Unless you are building a race car where 10ths of a sec count two piece will save you hassle,make a splitter panel to cover the rear diff/boot area.

jps 19th August 2014 02:35 PM

Good to hear the thoughts. I'm going to stick to my guns for now - and go with 1 piece floor - and a removable tunnel top (fitted with rivnuts).

However - I am aware I may come to regret this decision - so will work on the basis that I can easily drill a couple of holes and use the jigsaw to take out the 'centre' section of the 1 piece panel if I decide to do so in the future...

TheArf 20th August 2014 09:45 AM

At the end of the day it's your build, build it the way you want it

Arfon

flyerncle 20th August 2014 02:28 PM

Used steel sheet too, 120 kg at last medical :eek:

jps 20th August 2014 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TalonMotorFabrication (Post 98416)
the extra £200+ on ali

Good point - but don't forget - mine is the womble car - my ali was free!!!!! :D :D http://meandthekitcar.files.wordpres...11446308_n.jpg