Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Chassis (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   MX5 gearbox into standard chassis (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=13587)

Ianr 29th January 2015 05:52 PM

MX5 gearbox into standard chassis

Hi - I am just fitting my 1.6 Mk 2 Mazda engine and box into my standard chassis and I find that the clutch slave clashes with U7 at the side of the tunnel. I have angled the engine slightly to the left which helps but still leaves the possibility of the clutch mechanism fouling. I have thought of welding some 25mm box onto U7 and cutting it away to avoid the problem.

How have others who have fitted the MX5 box got round this issue?

Stot 29th January 2015 06:19 PM

My engine and gearbox is only as far back as it can be without fouling there, that was my reference for fitting.

Cheers
Stot

Ianr 29th January 2015 07:25 PM

Where does that leave your gear lever Stot?

Ok - just had a look at your build photos and answered that one - and - I can see your engine is mounted lower than mine is at the moment, I'll have to lower mine and make another gearbox mount I suppose to make it fit under the bonnet more easily.
thanks - I'll see about relocating it all again.
I'll get there in the end :-)

Stot 29th January 2015 07:30 PM

A little behind the slope of the scuttle. Just right really.

Cheers
Stot

johnl63 30th January 2015 01:20 AM

i did this, not in a haynes but same issue
john

Ianr 30th January 2015 02:31 PM

Now that is something a bit like I was thinking of doing John. I think I may be remaking my gearbox mount and moving the engine forward a little like Stot has as it seems to be a little less work.
Thanks

TalonMotorFabrication 30th January 2015 04:06 PM

You could move the slave cylinder further round and under the gearbox using a drop plate made from 30x5mm plate. If you cut the clutch fork in half and weld it back on at 90' so it points down, then just increase the size of the clutch master cylinder to get round the leverage difference.

Ianr 30th January 2015 04:22 PM

Thanks Phil - I am amazed at the solutions you come up with. This one is probably a bit too late for my car. I've just remade the gearbox mount to move it forward by 20mm or so and the engine now fits with room for the clutch to operate as on Stots car. It makes the engine a bit forward of where the Pinto used to sit but its still well behind the front axle so thats ok I suppose.

TalonMotorFabrication 30th January 2015 06:44 PM

When you spend as much time as I do walking round these things it becomes a case of what can I do next to put things where I want them rather than where do they fit easily......

johnl63 2nd February 2015 03:45 AM

yeah I was told never move the engine forward just more back! My recess gives me a nice foot rest also:)