Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Chassis (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Welding Tools (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=4379)

SimonC 31st May 2010 04:14 PM

Welding Tools

Hi Guys

Newbie here.

I'm in the early stage of planning at the moment, and am leaning towards buying the flat-pack kit so as not to have to get hold of a decent band saw, and risk mucking up the angles. However I'm rather keen on welding it together myself for the sense of achievement :P.

Just wondering whether anyone has any tips on getting hold of a MIG welder? Is it better to go down the route of hiring one or buying one?

Cheers

Simon

David_17 31st May 2010 04:18 PM

I'm in exactly the same position as you, and would reccommend getting a chasis kit from handyandy, then investing in a welder. (make sure you practice first, before starting the chasis ;))

A 150A mig gas welder is what most people reccommend. ;)

Bonzo 31st May 2010 04:59 PM

Welcome to the forum Simon

A very warm welcom to the forum Simon :)

If you are not fancying cutting all of that steel, I would highly reccomend one of HandyAndy's flat pack chassis kits.

It will save you a great deal of time & will get your build off to a flying start, besides the money saved by not having to buy cutting equipment could be put towards a better quality welder ;)

On the subject of welders, the Clarke 150 amp ones are very popular.

Enjoy your build :)

Josh 31st May 2010 06:36 PM

Hi Simon, welcome to the forum!

Had the flat pack chassis kits been avaliable when I started my build I think I may have gone for it. I ended up hacksawing and grinding all my tubes to length on a wonky 'workmate' on the front (sloping) drive - not the easiest way to do it! I'd go for one of HandyAndys kits :rolleyes:

Where abouts in Surrey are you? If your close to Bromley your welcome to come round and have a look at my build, may help with understanding how it all goes together. Also before I started my build I mocked up the basic chassis on CAD, I'd recommend it as it helped me get the build process settled in my head.

Cheers
Josh

HandyAndy 31st May 2010 07:23 PM

Welcome to the forum Simon, lots of helpful builders on here :cool:

As for sourcing a Mig/hiring one.....
If poss try to get your own Mig, the reason being....you,ll be surprised how useful a tool it becomes, its not just about welding your chassis together, it,ll be there for when you need to "just add a bracket" here & there later in the build, nothing more annoying than not having a Mig available to do that "5 minute" job ;)
Plus once you own your own mig, you,ll get "a feel for it", how it responds etc & end up using it with confidence like using your favourite spanner etc:cool:

I bought my mig from a for sale thread on the Mig welders forum , its a 151te clarke gas mig, even came with 2 pub style gas bottles too, all for £50.
Make sure you get a good auto darkening helmet, really does make the world of difference when welding.

Thanks to all with regards my chassis flat packs:) ,
Whichever route you take Simon, I wish you all the best for your build.

cheers
andy