Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Running gear (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Flexible Brake Pipes (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12837)

Josh 29th July 2013 09:30 AM

Flexible Brake Pipes

Hello, I'm ready to get my brake pipes fitted and have already stumbled at the first hurdle. The book just says to 'fit the flexible brake pipes'. I didn't start with a donor car and have sourced donor parts from all over the place so the book isn't being very helpful here!

Do I just need to buy a standard set of Sierra flexi brake pipes, or is there another kit that would work, or do I need to get custom pipes made up?

Thanks, Josh

voucht 30th July 2013 12:13 AM

Hi Josh,
The OEM "rubber" brake lines from the Sierra will be too short, I'm 99% sure of that.

Almost everybody fits "racing" flexi brake lines which are made from stainless steel braided Teflon hose. They look much nicer on the Roadster than the OEM ones. They are thinner and lighter. They are also much more resistant to pressure thanks to the stainless steel braid, and don't swell under heavy braking as the OEM "rubber" ones have tendency to do. So definitely recommended for sport/fast road driving.

I supply these kind of brake lines, please check my website (address in my signature) if you are interested and send me PM if you need more info or to order.

My brake lines come with 100% stainless steel fittings, and ss lock nuts for the bulkhead fittings. They are fabricated on order, so 100% custom. 26 colours of PVC cover on the hose are available, so you can make them match perfectly with the colour of your car, but you can also choose to keep the natural colour of the stainless steel braid (clear PVC cover), that is the choice I've made.

I've already supplied a big dozen of kit car builders, most of them being Haynes roadster builders from this forum, and they looked quite happy with the product :)

If I can be of any help, do not hesitate to contact me.

Cheers.

K4KEV 30th July 2013 01:13 AM

Hi Josh ....I have no doubt that you will have seen my build thread and I can hand on heart say that this is the bloke you need to use for brake lines, and very competitive prices ....give him a go bud and you will not be dissapointed.

alga 30th July 2013 02:09 AM

Or you can buy the braided hose and Euroquip fittings on Rally Design or other places and build your own. The cost is about 60 pounds, plus shipping. But then you don't get the nice things such as the vynil top cover and the angled fitting for the rear hose to go around the upright. And Euroquip fittings are galvanised, not stainless.

Stot 30th July 2013 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alga (Post 92201)
Or you can buy the braided hose and Euroquip fittings on Rally Design or other places and build your own. The cost is about 60 pounds, plus shipping. But then you don't get the nice things such as the vynil top cover and the angled fitting for the rear hose to go around the upright. And Euroquip fittings are galvanised, not stainless.

I'm sure I've read that self build brake lines are no good for IVA.

Cheers
Stot

jps 30th July 2013 11:34 AM

Sylvians brake lines do look seriously good - and his website is excellent - the diagrams etc are a great resource for thinking about routing piping, etc...

Josh 30th July 2013 12:49 PM

Thanks for the help everyone - Sylvain you have email! :D

voucht 6th August 2013 01:39 AM

Thank you for the very nice comments on the brake lines my friends!

Josh's brake lines are on their way :)

Josh 8th August 2013 08:28 PM

Suggestions please for reliable sources of the following...(no donor car available).

Brake proportioning valve for a rear discs roadster
M10x1 brake T piece
M10x1 brake pressure switch

Thanks

voucht 8th August 2013 08:46 PM

Hi Josh,

Brake proportioning valve for a rear discs roadster : the one from the Sierra donor is enough. If you want an adjustable one (knob), Rally Design sells the Wilwood one. It's a shame, because I could have send you one with the brake lines at a good price as we supply them too.
M10x1 brake T piece. members from the UK will tell you the cheapest supplier in your country I'm sure. I know Rally Design sells these parts too. Same than for the BPV, I could have supplied you one too.
M10x1 brake pressure switch : as a lot of us, I use the one from the VW Beetle, it is very cheap, easy to find, and fits perfectly. You can find it on ebay I'm sure.

Hope this will help :)