Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   SVA/Legal (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   How to register in England a ”Gibbs roadster’ (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1650)

jesse 8th March 2009 09:27 PM

How to register in England a ”Gibbs roadster’
I’m French and I bought the french version of the ”Build Your Own Sports Car on a budget” book a few months ago. In this version, all the information about the registration are for passing the car in France (in fact, very difficult or nearly impossible except), and although I nearly read all the forum discussions in the ”SVA-legal” topic, it’s hard for me to understand the correct procedure about the car registration in England.

 Is that procedure well explained in the english version of the book because MoT, SVA, IVA, VIN numbers, Q plates, engine emissions according to the year and so on are like ”chinese language” for me.

 Is it possible to have a left hand drive car registrered in England ? The donor car must be an english registered vehicule ?

 Can some kind people explain me, as clear as possible for a foreigner, how to register in England a ”Gibbs roadster’’?

Thanks for your help,


fabbyglass 8th March 2009 09:37 PM

Yes mate build the car to suit the SVA IVA then book a test here then trailer it over and hopefully pass the test then with a nice friendly forum member as a postal address register the car here then take it home to France...:)

jesse 8th March 2009 11:07 PM

register rules

One of my brothers has been working in England for about 10 years so the problem is not the address but the information I've asked for...

Thank u for your interest,


dogwood 9th March 2009 08:38 AM

Hi Jesse

First question, Is your car finished and ready for its test?
If so then be quick and you may be able to get it SVA'd

You need to download the SVA1 form ( I don't have the link but someone will add it i'm sure)

Then you need to send it off along with pictures of your build ( This is to prove you have built it)

Also you need to send off all the receipts of the parts for the car, along with a receipt for your donor car.

And a cheque for £190 i beleive it is.

As for the VIN number, this idealy should be 17 caracters long and stamped onto the chassis.

Hops this is helpfull
I'm in Angouleme 16 where are you?


SeriesLandy 9th March 2009 05:23 PM


Originally Posted by jesse (Post 11771)
 Is that procedure well explained in the english version of the book because MoT, SVA, IVA, VIN numbers, Q plates, engine emissions according to the year and so on are like ”chinese language” for me.

  • mot-A Test to see if the car is road worthy (you don't need one for the 1st 3 years after it is registered
  • sva-Single Vehicle Approval Current test to get the car registered
  • iva - Individual Vehicle Approval approval coming in soon
  • vin - chassis number stamped in the car (if your car is a sierra there are two, one under the bonnet and 1 next to drivers seat under a plastic flap in the carpet.
  • q plate - A non transferable registration plate if you cannot prove the age of the donor car.
  • engine emissions - All depends on the engine that you will be using

jesse 9th March 2009 06:06 PM

Thank you for your answer Dogwood,

Before building the car, I need to know how to comply with the english register rules as they probably will determine the engine choice as well as others components and even the donor car. So I guess it will be to late to pass the SVA because I read somewhere that it's going to be replaced by the IVA but I don't know more about it.

Your answer is helpful but it's not enough yet to begin the very first welding point. I've checked in the DVLA and in the Department for Transport websites and haven't to found the SVA1 form.

I live near Marseille (13).

Have you built a car ?


dogwood 9th March 2009 07:04 PM

Hi Jesse

If you haven't started building yet then you won't be able to go for the SVA
That is due to finish the end of April

You will have to go for the new IVA.
I cannot help you with that,
At the moment I don't think any one can help you as it has not been finalised.

All I can suggest is you take plenty of pictures whilst you are building
And get as many English receipts as you can.
This will help with getting your car registered.

Yes I have finished my car

Hope this helps

jesse 9th March 2009 07:05 PM

Thanks a lot Steve,

I'm gonna read the 200 pages IVA draft. I don't know the SVA test, is someone knows if the IVA test is going to be harder, compared to the SVA's.

What I need to know to choose the engine ? Must I use the donor car's engine ?

How to choose the VIN number for an amateur built vehicule ?


dogwood 9th March 2009 07:13 PM

No you don't have to use the donor car engine.
But it could be easier to use it and change it after the IVA.
depending on what engine you are intending to use.

The VIN number usualy is 17 numbers and letters.
You can use your own made up one, but some DVLA offices don't like it.

I used my own numbers, made up from my birth date and the date I finished the build


flyerncle 9th March 2009 08:44 PM

Off the subject Dogwood, the van in the background of your picture of that ace roadster is it a 2cv or Diane,I have been looking for one in England but hard to find.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.