Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Announcements (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   rob jones build thread (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12509)

robj 2nd March 2014 08:42 PM

bit of an update got the engine and gearbox mounts made up this weeek.

Also does any body know the size and pitch of the starter motor bolts, seem to of misplaced mine.

cheers

Rob

robj 16th June 2014 11:24 PM

A little more progress I've been working on my pedal box. Still need to drill the fixings for the master cylinder and for the cables but its getting there.

Next on the list is to get the steering on and the suspension sorted.

Oscar 19th June 2014 09:23 AM

Well there's a pedal box that's not going to flex! :eek:

Are those brackets machined out of solid blocks?

robj 21st June 2014 10:31 AM

I'm hoping it won't I used voucht plans he posted. I made the brackets out of box section. I drilled the holes first to keep it square then cut the ends off.

voucht 14th July 2014 07:59 PM

A bit late to comment but i hadn't seen your post before. how could I miss that :eek: ?

It is a very neat adaptation of my design you've made here. All aluminium and TIG welded? Nice, strong and light, I like it :) Congrats!

robj 30th November 2014 10:35 PM

Been a while since my last post. I've not been able to get much done lately had a little accident with an angle grinder.

Managed to go through my tendons so a bit of surgery and six weeks in a splint.
I've made a bit of progress now though so a quick update for you all.

not sure if I've fitted the steering wheel a bit high though.

Cheers for looking

robj 30th November 2014 10:37 PM

Also managed to get my exhaust mount finished.

TheArf 1st December 2014 10:31 AM

Love the exhaust mount, spill the beans where from

Arfon

robj 1st December 2014 11:29 AM

Cheers Arfon. Its a homemade effort out brass flat plate, bit of work with a hamer and some tig welding and a lot filing. Hoping it'll pass the radius test .

Dualist 1st December 2014 10:19 PM

A steampunk exhaust mount, love it. Is the rest of the car gonna follow suit.?

TalonMotorFabrication 1st December 2014 11:12 PM

That is a very nice piece of work well done.
That little rubber bobbin is intended to be used in compression not in shear as you have used it. As the car bounces and the exhaust vibrates the rubber and steel parts will part company after awhile.

garyt 1st December 2014 11:28 PM

Love the exhaust mount :)

robj 2nd December 2014 09:59 AM

Cheers everyone I thing it'll be a theme through the car.

Its ok Talon there's another mount under the silencer that takes most of the weight, with the mount the right way .

SeriesLandy 2nd December 2014 09:04 PM

Can you get the column bearing any higher, that should help with the steering wheel height.

Do you find that the gear lever hits the handbrake? I had that problem with my extension.

robj 2nd December 2014 09:37 PM

There seems to be enough clearance for the gear lever it just seems a bit long might have to cut it down a bit. I can't raise the bearing much it means the column hits the manifold. Bit of a re think on the cards I think.

robj 21st May 2016 11:37 PM

been a while since I've done an update so I thought show you where I'm at.
I've stripped the chasssis back to get body work done.

Thought I'd take it into work as it'll give me a bit more room. I gave it a sand blast and a repaint while I was at it.

Started by doing the trans tunel and seat back thought It'd give me more room if the floor wasn't in the way.

Then I stuck the floor in.

Thought I'd have a go at the rear panel next.

robj 21st May 2016 11:42 PM

Then the side panels.

Thought I'd have a go at an alloy scuttle so I bought myself a metal shrinker/stretcher.

robj 21st May 2016 11:52 PM

Cut the bulk head out more work to do on that though. Next up was the bonnet.

Hopefully I'll get some more done in the week and won't leave it so long for an update.

TheArf 22nd May 2016 12:21 AM

Good to see you back up and active Rob, your ally body work is outstanding mate, I dont think I have seen anything on here to match it

Arfon

garyt 22nd May 2016 08:57 AM

great to see your updates and that craftsmanship is outstanding it really is nice to see, will be waiting for the next pictures, ally nose ????
seriously good work

SteveH1 22nd May 2016 09:46 PM

Thats some epic bodywork fair play.
how many hours have u in it.

Rosco 22nd May 2016 10:11 PM

Only just read through your build, cracking! Love the bodywork, sort of wishing i had of gone the aluminium route!

robj 22nd May 2016 10:51 PM

Cheers everyone for the comments. Garyt I think an alloy nose is a bit beyond my metal working skills I think I'll end up making a glass fibre one. I thought it would only take me a couple of weeks to do the body work Steve but that was two months of evenings ago and I've still got a fair bit to do yet. I'll get some more pics up as soon as I can.

SteveH1 22nd May 2016 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robj (Post 103712)
Cheers everyone for the comments. Garyt I think an alloy nose is a bit beyond my metal working skills I think I'll end up making a glass fibre one. I thought it would only take me a couple of weeks to do the body work Steve but that was two months of evenings ago and I've still got a fair bit to do yet. I'll get some more pics up as soon as I can.

Ah you have to make an ali nose cone after all that work

robj 23rd May 2016 12:01 AM

Maybe I have a go. I'll have to see if I can improve my skills first though, it's the curves on more than one plane that'll make it difficult for me.

RichardH 23rd May 2016 07:06 AM

that car is screaming to be all alloy. if it was me and i couldnt make the nose i would pay someone to make it.
the sevenspot page on facebook has some really stunning all alloy cars that appear on it

vmax1974 23rd May 2016 09:20 AM

I will +1 on the alloy nose although I would love to sell you a nose I would like to see you car finished how it should be an all alloy will look awesome

TheArf 23rd May 2016 09:32 AM

Hey vmax, you had better hope he doesn't start doing the ally bodies full time mate:D

vmax1974 23rd May 2016 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheArf (Post 103717)
Hey vmax, you had better hope he doesn't start doing the ally bodies full time mate:D

LOL yeah that could be an issue :eek:

robj 23rd May 2016 11:38 AM

I think I might try my luck and have a go but I don't have worry about it for a bit need to get it back as a rolling chassis first so I can make a buck.

garyt 23rd May 2016 01:16 PM

sounds like not a lot of choice on the alloy nose going by the replies and I know you wouldn't want to disappoint us all.... would you :rolleyes: I'm sure it will be a tough nut to crack but boy will it look the mutts wotsits when done :)

robj 7th June 2016 11:12 PM

Made a bit more progress over the last couple of weeks.

Done a bit more work on my bulkhead need to get some dome head bolts to finish it off. Also finished the support for the front edge of the bonnet/ nosecone.

Also made a press for louvers so started work on a under tray for the engine bay. Needs a lot of finishing but not to bad for a first atempt.

robj 7th June 2016 11:13 PM

I'll get some more pics up shortly.

SteveH1 7th June 2016 11:43 PM

Ohhh thats nice. Any more info on how u made the press and how it works
Lookin good

robj 8th June 2016 12:04 AM

Its not as fancy as some presses I've seen, its only made of mild steel so I have to cut a slot first don't thick it's up to cuttting the metal as well. I just tap it with a hammer to press the shape seems to work ok. I made it from 12mm plate cut on the band saw at work and welded the bits together. Took a lot of trial and error to get the fit right for the socket I kept crushing the sheet.

SteveH1 8th June 2016 08:48 AM

Cool seems to do the job though.
What do u do for a living

RichardH 8th June 2016 08:49 AM

your definitely not getting to put a fibreglass nose on that now

TheArf 8th June 2016 09:23 AM

Totally agree with the previous post, you have now set the bench mark for body work and a fibreglass nose just won't make the grade. Joking aside your body work is stunning but I know that an ally nose cone would be an absolute nightmare to fabricate.

keep up the stunning work

arfon:)

garyt 9th June 2016 12:27 PM

sorry but I have to agree with everyone ... You just can not put a fibreglass nose on there now, yes it will be tough but think of the end result.
I really take my hat off as the craftsmanship is simply outstanding. The attention to detail is very impressive I mean how easy would it have been to simply put the cushioning rubber in a strip but no you did it your way and it really looks good, its the little touches that really take the work up another level.
Keep at it :)

robj 18th September 2016 10:12 AM

thought its about time I got moving again so it loading up time to get it home.

And back in the messy garage needs a good sort out.