Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   SVA/Legal (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Chassis number issues. (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=7130)

rdodger 18th September 2011 01:08 PM

Chassis number issues.

So I might be a little ahead of myself since I don't even have a chassis kit yet but I thought I would get things moving with a chassis number.

I used the standard letter from here and sent it to my local DVLA office (Trafford)

In return I received a letter telling me I couldn't have a chassis number until the car had been inspected at their office or the local VOSA station along with form V627/1 Built up vehicle inspection form. This for relates to rebuilt cars using a replacement body or chassis of the same construction. ie a reshell. Not a kit car. They also sent a form to apply for a first tax disc.

I wouldn't mind but the reference they put on the letter is Lotus 7 Kit car.

So do I write back explaining it is a kit car and needs IVA etc or just try a different office?

I believe I can make my own chassis number up? Does this lead to potential problems?

Cheers

steve8274 18th September 2011 10:11 PM

hi
i`m having a little trouble with dvla at trafford at moment.
rang them up, told them what i was building (near the end of build now if only i could sort my electrics out!!!)
they sent me a chassis number and few forms out
few weeks later, they said they needed to see iva inspection report.
after ringing and unable to get through, i sent them a letter again explaining the situation.
they rang me up and said they cant keep the file open for so long (only been couple of months) and i would have to reapply when i apply for iva.
strangely on my letter, they keep referring to my donor vehicle.
and the guy at the office said chassis number would still be valid!
no idea whats going to happen when i finally get my car inspected
i found them to be very unhelpful
good luck
steve

rdodger 18th September 2011 10:31 PM

Weird they seem to think they are reshelled cars perhaps?

I think I will try a different office.

Ashtonr 19th September 2011 09:51 AM

Can anyone clarify? You need your chasis number stamped on the Offside of the chassis somewhere easily visible you also need a vin plate whch can be bonded or somehow permanently fixed to the car where does this need to go ? The IVA manual is vague as is the letter from vosa I have do I only need the VIN on this additinal plate or anything else ?

Cyberbeej 20th September 2011 07:52 PM

Response?

this thread has just reminded me that i sent a letter to my local DVLA office (Glasgow) about 6 weeks ago and i haven't heard andthing back yet........?

I think i phone call may be in order. How long has everybody else had to wait for a response?

Ashtonr 21st September 2011 02:37 PM

Got mine four days after writing the letter

ayjay 21st September 2011 08:50 PM

Got mine by return from Chester.

rdodger 21st September 2011 09:34 PM

I will give Chester a go.

ayjay 21st September 2011 09:41 PM

I used Ash,s draft letter its on a sticky somewhere;)

rdodger 22nd September 2011 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ayjay (Post 65342)
I used Ash,s draft letter its on a sticky somewhere;)

That's what I used :mad:

Lets hope Chester see sense. I have used my girlfriends address in N Wales so it shouldn't look odd that I am using a different office.