Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Electrics (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Megasqiurt (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1607)

Bonzo 12th March 2009 11:58 PM

A stim is a simulator.

This plugs into the megasquirt ECU. It enables you to test the functions of the megasquirt, simulate engine loads & allows you to set the basic settings via the tuning software.

If all goes well. The engine should at least start once you have pre-configured the ECU with the stim.

That's the theory anyways :confused: :o :o

If you have bought a ready built unit it would have been set up using a stim. :)

Danzetec 15th March 2009 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonzo (Post 11442)
Hi all.
Having tried the msextraefi web site I find it is no longer available. :confused:
:)

Your looking for www.extraefi.co.uk - good quality ECUs that come with warrenty and if you provide your spec he will load a base map to get you started :)

Bonzo 15th March 2009 11:09 PM

Finished

I have finished the constrution of my Megasquirt unit this evening.

It took 4 good evening sessions to complete. Mainly reading, reading & more reading.

All I need to do now is to set it all up on the stim :eek:

It was quite realaxing work to be honest, it has been a long, long time since I have done any electronics work.

Didn't even get close to chucking out of the window :D :D

HandyAndy 15th March 2009 11:13 PM

looks good Ronnie, maybe not out of the window ??, but possibly a few harsh words thrown at it??????:D :D
i wouldn,t know where to start:o

andy

Bonzo 15th March 2009 11:34 PM

The construction was quite easy, the component locations are very well defined on the board, all of the component packs were also very clearly labled. :)

I did chuck a few F's when I wired up a set of jumper wires up to use the EDIS 4 module.

A bit further on I had to change them all around. :confused:

A bit further on, I found that they were in the right place the first time :D :D

HandyAndy 15th March 2009 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonzo (Post 11979)

I did chuck a few F's when I wired up a set of jumper wires up to use the EDIS 4 module.

A bit further on I had to change them all around. :confused:

A bit further on, I found that they were in the right place the first time :D

:D whats that old saying????? " measure twice , cut once" sort of applies me thinks, smiles, ah you can build mine if i ever need one;)

andy

AshG 16th March 2009 03:18 AM

bloomin heck that didnt take you long. mine is still in all the little baggies until sometime in the future when i need it. your not f'in and blinding now but you will be when the stim turns up. what stim did you go for as there are a couple.

as for the manual its a bloody good read if you want to understand how modern fandango things work. only wish i had the manual when i was at uni as it would have come in usefull for the ecu and interface that i designed for my disertation lol.

fabbyglass 16th March 2009 09:15 AM

What a right box of devil sent bits....gives me a headache just looking at the picture:o

Bonzo 16th March 2009 09:19 AM

I went for the version 2.2 stim.

Yes I am saving my finest language for when I connect the stim :eek: :D

I did read the construction manual several times before I began.
What I did not do was to cross-reference all of the ignition options available properly :o

The small transistors were rather delicate to solder, so, so easy to bridge the pins with solder.

I was there with my glasses on & using a magnifying screen, still was unable to see 100%.

I ended up asking my eldest to check them for me. :o All ok though.

Bonzo 16th March 2009 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fabbyglass (Post 11986)
What a right box of devil sent bits....gives me a headache just looking at the picture:o

That's what I thought when I first opened the box.

OMG it's a kit, kit, kit :eek:

My eldest said " I think you should throw that in the bin before you start " :D

The constrction followed quite a logical sequence & was relatively easy to follow.

After being stung for the VAT by customs, I have probably saved just over £100. :o

Not that saving money was at the top of the list. I feel that I would now have the insight & confidence to adapt the unit to suit other things that I may want to do in the future.