Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Electrics (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Gearbox sensor? (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=8038)

rpjg1975 9th May 2012 03:03 PM

Gearbox sensor?

When stripping my donor (sierra 1.8 cvh) I carefully labelled the plugs as I removed them so i knew where everything went back to. One is labelled gearbox sensor but im damned if I can see where it plugs into. It's not the reversing light switch as i have that one...not that I can find the connector that plugs into...I have a choice of 2 so will just try each one when I have it eventually wired up!

Hopefully someone can help, either that or I have cocked up and miss labelled it!

Cheers

Russ

HandyAndy 9th May 2012 03:06 PM

Hmmm, I only recall the reverse light switch/socket connector :confused:

I can,t remember if yours is the Type9 or MT75 box ?

Any chance of a photo of the sensor you mention ?

cheers
andy

rpjg1975 9th May 2012 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HandyAndy (Post 73409)
Hmmm, I only recall the reverse light switch/socket connector :confused:

I can,t remember if yours is the Type9 or MT75 box ?

Any chance of a photo of the sensor you mention ?

cheers
andy

Sorry andy, its the sensor I can't find, I just have the plug with my label on it. It actually looks like the same type of plug as the two connectors on the inlet manifold.

It's a type 9 gearbox and I am thinking similar, cant remember any others on it except from thw reversing light one...

The plug has 2 brown wires going to it if that helps at all?

Cheers
Russ

HandyAndy 9th May 2012 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rpjg1975 (Post 73411)
Sorry andy, its the sensor I can't find, I just have the plug with my label on it. It actually looks like the same type of plug as the two connectors on the inlet manifold.

It's a type 9 gearbox and I am thinking similar, cant remember any others on it except from thw reversing light one...

The plug has 2 brown wires going to it if that helps at all?

Cheers
Russ

Sorry Russ,
I meant to say the socket / connector that plugs into the so called sensor .

Ermmm...just thinking.....wouldn,t it be spooky if its the same plug/connection to what we found on the underside of my air filter housing last night?
I,m pretty certain that has 2 brown wires too.

maybe its the air filter sensor thingymebob :D :confused:

cheers
andy

rpjg1975 9th May 2012 03:25 PM

I was wondering exactly that Andy, trying to think if I still have the stock air filter knocking about or if it got binned in the house move. It is certainly that type of connector! The wires are brown and brown with yellow stripe if that helps shed any light on it?

flyerncle 9th May 2012 09:05 PM

Defo no sensor on a type 9,and it sounds like the sensor that does go in the air filter.

Round plug with round pins and odd little dog leg on the side if I remember.

twinturbo 9th May 2012 10:09 PM

If it's up near the carb, and I think a white plug, then it's the IAT that should be in the original air box.

Idealy it would be incorporated to allow the ECU to correctly time and trim the engine.

TT

rpjg1975 9th May 2012 10:26 PM

Excellent, cheers guys, just been looking at the photos I took of the engine before removal and it definitely looks like it is the one that goes up to the air box......now if only I could find the airbox!!! Think it may have been dumped in the house move....bugger!