Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   SVA/Legal (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   anti theft! (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=7569)

michael92 27th December 2011 08:02 PM

anti theft!

hey all, im a little confused to what is acceptable as anti theft... i have had a little search and learnt a tiny bit but nothing clear.

my scenario:

i dont have an ignition lock and barrell on my sierra column but i will be having a seperate ignition switch and a batt cut off, is this acceptable or will i have to fit an electronic immobiliser?

thaughts? :confused:

Michael

skov 27th December 2011 08:47 PM

From my reading of the IVA manual you need either a steering lock, or an electronic immobiliser.
It specifically says a manual battery switch is not considered an anti-theft device, so yes I think you will need an electronic immobiliser (unless you find a new column with the barrel / key intact).

michael92 27th December 2011 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skov (Post 69182)
From my reading of the IVA manual you need either a steering lock, or an electronic immobiliser.
It specifically says a manual battery switch is not considered an anti-theft device, so yes I think you will need an electronic immobiliser (unless you find a new column with the barrel / key intact).

Thank you :) i was more biased to getting an immobiliser anyway :) might get a transponder type , thatll do the trick ;)

minicountryman1961 28th December 2011 03:25 AM

The latest is here, Butt Print Recognition. No Joke!

http://www.aol.com/video/protecting-...c1_lnk2|123128

Cyberbeej 28th December 2011 09:49 AM

Butt Print technology, they've got to be having a laugh.

It MIGHT make it into some specialized vehicles but the first person that fits it to a kitcar should be shot as a warning for others.:eek:

robo 28th December 2011 10:30 AM

I dont think I could be arsed with that:rolleyes: :)

Bob

flyerncle 28th December 2011 01:39 PM

Make sure you have a certificate for the fitting of the imobiliserthey may want to see it.

baz-r 28th December 2011 01:45 PM

the good book says

A vehicle MUST be fitted with either a mechanical anti – theft device or an electronic immobiliser
If fitted to the Vehicle, a anti – theft device
a.
must be operational
b.
must not operate on any part of the braking system
If it incorporates a mechanical part that acts upon a system used to control the vehicle
a.
It must Deactivate before the engine can be started
b.
It must be deactivated while the engine is running
c.
It must have a actuation which is a distinct and separate function from that of stopping the engine
Where the vehicle has no mechanical anti - theft device fitted:
An electronic immobiliser must be fitted

monsterob 28th December 2011 10:07 PM

Wish mine didnt have a bleeding immobilizer tried to fire it all up yesterday got fuel but no spark ! Paperclip test and i get three codes

Secondary air pump failure
Another insignificant one
AND the good old immobilizer control unit failure ( no signal)

Bugger ! All seems to point to cam sensor supposedly quite common !
Still pi$$ed on my chips

michael92 28th December 2011 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monsterob (Post 69212)
Wish mine didnt have a bleeding immobilizer tried to fire it all up yesterday got fuel but no spark ! Paperclip test and i get three codes

Secondary air pump failure
Another insignificant one
AND the good old immobilizer control unit failure ( no signal)

Bugger ! All seems to point to cam sensor supposedly quite common !
Still pi$$ed on my chips

i see! is your's a vauxhall system? because mine will be and im kind of running myself into great difficulty if it goes wrong as techincially im using 2 transponder systems. ie the factory ecu barrell (with the transponder secured to it) and then a thatcham type immobiliser :p I certainly hope all goes well!