Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Bodywork and interior (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Sneak Peak : Equinox new nose cone (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=8470)

Ben_Copeland 17th September 2012 06:16 PM

Sneak Peak : Equinox new nose cone

Got some sneak peak of the buck for the new equinox Nosecone

You asked and Dave has created it.

Took these today :

UPDATED PICTURE see others later in thread

Plus a picture of the bodywork fitted to a customers car (old nose cone)

Dave hopes that people will like the new nose and welcomes feedback.

robo 17th September 2012 07:19 PM

You have to be impressed with the way dave responded to that nosecone request. When you think we have been waiting years to see the vindaloo body products. Anyway you asked for a critical eye to be cast over it and here it is,in my opinion which is humble and worthless:p i think the whole thing is brilliant till it gets down to the oil cooler aperture. I think it needs more of a radius on the two bottom corners and slightly reducing the width of the cooler hole and again more of a radius in the aperture to stop it looking letter box like.

Bob

ayjay 17th September 2012 07:31 PM

I think it looks good -a vast improvement.
However I think the opportunity may have been missed to design something a bit different eg flowing the two shapes into each other :eek:

Ben_Copeland 17th September 2012 07:47 PM

Ok so if it flowed into eachother and the radius at the bottom corners changed it would be spot on

DRCorsa 17th September 2012 07:54 PM

It looks nice but it would be better if the sides were wider and covering more the wishbones when you look at it at the front.

robo 17th September 2012 07:55 PM

yep:) Carefull how you tell him cos you might end up wearing it for a hat.

Bob

Ben_Copeland 17th September 2012 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRCorsa (Post 78057)
It looks nice but it would be better if the sides were wider and covering more the wishbones when you look at it at the front.

It's not a very good picture tbh. They do cover the wishbone mounts well. The picture makes it look narrower than it is.

Ben_Copeland 17th September 2012 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robo (Post 78058)
yep:) Carefull how you tell him cos you might end up wearing it for a hat.

Bob

I think helpful criticism is likely to result in a product that everyone wants.

robo 17th September 2012 09:43 PM

It might also pay for the aperture to be set back a bit more as well because when the blank is cut out there wont be enough of a lip to clean up the edge and fit an edging strip. just thoughts.

bob

Davidbolam 17th September 2012 10:22 PM

Looks good. I like the way the rear arches on the customers car fits the wheels nicely.

whos car is it?

Ben_Copeland 18th September 2012 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davidbolam (Post 78077)
Looks good. I like the way the rear arches on the customers car fits the wheels nicely.

whos car is it?

I'm not sure but I'll ask Dave.

I saw that kit going out and the quality is absolutely spot on. Dave is very fussy about his grp quality and it definately shows!

My bodyworks on order and will be taking loads of pictures once it's all on.

Ben_Copeland 18th September 2012 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robo (Post 78074)
It might also pay for the aperture to be set back a bit more as well because when the blank is cut out there wont be enough of a lip to clean up the edge and fit an edging strip. just thoughts.

bob

That should be simple enough to do. It's the only nose I've seen with any type of return on it too. Plus the box on the bottom is ideal place for a number plate lol

MikeB 18th September 2012 11:39 AM

That looks a lot better.
The kit looks really good on the customers car.
I still don't like the high scuttle but that's probably just me :)
Credit to equinox for making the changes, the bonnet bulge does look like a direct copy of the old saturn one, but then the whole seven concept isn't exactly unique!

Ben_Copeland 18th September 2012 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robo (Post 78051)
You have to be impressed with the way dave responded to that nosecone request. When you think we have been waiting years to see the vindaloo body products. Anyway you asked for a critical eye to be cast over it and here it is,in my opinion which is humble and worthless:p i think the whole thing is brilliant till it gets down to the oil cooler aperture. I think it needs more of a radius on the two bottom corners and slightly reducing the width of the cooler hole and again more of a radius in the aperture to stop it looking letter box like.

Bob

Radius has already been cut into it this morning. He's on the case :)

baz-r 18th September 2012 03:43 PM

think its nice
the lower section could do with a more organic rounded shape in my opinion

MikeB 18th September 2012 04:31 PM

Most people will have a number plate covering the lower oil cooler bit unless its just a track car.

DRCorsa 18th September 2012 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben_Copeland (Post 78059)
It's not a very good picture tbh. They do cover the wishbone mounts well. The picture makes it look narrower than it is.

Thank you Ben!
For those of us who have not welded the headlight brackets yet, maybe it could be a possibility to innovate a bit and make a shape that will incorporate the headlights? This way the nosecone will be more wide and improve the aerodynamics a bit.
I attach a pic from an example of a US kitcar. I don't quite like that particular design but it could be made a bit more delicate and smooth.
Just a thought! :)

rpjg1975 18th September 2012 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeB (Post 78114)
Most people will have a number plate covering the lower oil cooler bit unless its just a track car.

I believe you don't actually need a front number plate as you can get an exemption from dvla due to there not being enough of a flat surface to mount it to :)

Ben_Copeland 18th September 2012 07:30 PM

Couple of new pictures.

I don't think the pictures will do it justice. More pictures tomorrow from better angle.

Ben_Copeland 18th September 2012 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRCorsa (Post 78118)
Thank you Ben!
For those of us who have not welded the headlight brackets yet, maybe it could be a possibility to innovate a bit and make a shape that will incorporate the headlights? This way the nosecone will be more wide and improve the aerodynamics a bit.
I attach a pic from an example of a US kitcar. I don't quite like that particular design but it could be made a bit more delicate and smooth.
Just a thought! :)

Not a chance of that. It's too much a radical redesign. The bodywork is for a Haynes roadster. That's something else I'm affraid.

DRCorsa 18th September 2012 07:48 PM

Ben, yous pics are not showing up mate.

Ben_Copeland 18th September 2012 08:14 PM

Should be working now

SeriesLandy 18th September 2012 08:28 PM

[/quote]

I was just sick, that is hideous

DRCorsa 18th September 2012 08:31 PM

@SeriesLandy
I agree, it's BS (Boring Shape.. :D )

Cyberbeej 18th September 2012 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rpjg1975 (Post 78120)
I believe you don't actually need a front number plate as you can get an exemption from dvla due to there not being enough of a flat surface to mount it to :)

Anybody got some more info on this?
I would rather not fit the front plate as i think it doesn't look right and i'm not fitting a stick on one.

Ben_Copeland 18th September 2012 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyberbeej (Post 78137)
Anybody got some more info on this?
I would rather not fit the front plate as i think it doesn't look right and i'm not fitting a stick on one.

It is against the law to not have a number at the front. Your car will have enough area to fit one so even if it was possible to get excemption, you wouldn't get it.

Just cos it looks crap doesn't mean you don't have to fit it unfortunately

DRCorsa 18th September 2012 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben_Copeland (Post 78140)

Oh Jesus... :D

Dualist 18th September 2012 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben_Copeland (Post 78127)
Couple of new pictures.

I don't think the pictures will do it justice. More pictures tomorrow from better angle.

That is way better and quickly modified.
What size cooler will that now take.?

Ben_Copeland 18th September 2012 09:41 PM

13 inch cooler apparently.

Not photoshoped either ;-)

ayjay 18th September 2012 09:46 PM

that looks sooo much better:)

What about trying to fl---------naaah:D :D :D

Ben_Copeland 18th September 2012 09:57 PM

Dave was quite excited with this latest shape.

skov 18th September 2012 10:19 PM

Quote:

It is against the law to not have a number at the front. Your car will have enough area to fit one so even if it was possible to get excemption, you wouldn't get it.

Carl Knight seems to have got an exemtion letter from the DVLA for his - have a look here:

http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=7975

rpjg1975 18th September 2012 10:29 PM

Quote:

There is already at least one forum member with the exemption letter from the dvla!!!!!

The saturn nosecone that many builders will already have actually doesn't have enough of a vertical flat surface to fix one to, and if you did fit one then you would smash it off everytime you got close to something. This is the same reason as a motorbike only has to have one fitted to the rear.

Incidentally how would you fit one to the new equinox nosecone if one had to be fitted as it would just cover the extra bottom slot, and if it was fitted over the new slot then what would be the point in even bothering having it???

Ben_Copeland 18th September 2012 10:36 PM

Presumably he wrote to DVLA saying he couldn't fit a plate and they responded with exception.

He could quite easily fit one and the BiB would read that excemption letter see there is space and fine him suitably. As they should.

Now if he'd sent pictures of the car and DVLA agreed it didn't need a plate, then that's another story..... but I doubt he did.

Personally it's not worth the hassle of getting stopped regularly.

Ben_Copeland 18th September 2012 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rpjg1975 (Post 78151)
There is already at least one forum member with the exemption letter from the dvla!!!!!

The saturn nosecone that many builders will already have actually doesn't have enough of a vertical flat surface to fix one to, and if you did fit one then you would smash it off everytime you got close to something. This is the same reason as a motorbike only has to have one fitted to the rear.

Incidentally how would you fit one to the new equinox nosecone if one had to be fitted as it would just cover the extra bottom slot, and if it was fitted over the new slot then what would be the point in even bothering having it???

Across to openning of the larger hole. There's space to drill a hole either side. I've done this on my old Nosecone and it's fine. Lines up with the corners of the number plate.

rpjg1975 18th September 2012 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben_Copeland (Post 78153)
Across to openning of the larger hole. There's space to drill a hole either side. I've done this on my old Nosecone and it's fine. Lines up with the corners of the number plate.

Would that not block a lot of the air flow?:confused:

Ben_Copeland 18th September 2012 10:51 PM

Not enough to worry about if your careful where you fit it.

skov 19th September 2012 11:17 AM

Think we're going a bit off topic here...
Interestingly there's a dedicated section in the IVA manual for the rear registration plate, but I can't find any mention of it needing a front registration plate!

robo 19th September 2012 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben_Copeland (Post 78127)
Couple of new pictures.

Thats the nuts :cool: and more:cool: .Me likes me wants. F@@k that boy is quick. Wonder if he will be making some fat bastard bucket seats for the roadster in the near future. hint hint

Bob

Ben_Copeland 19th September 2012 11:46 AM

More pictures as promised.

Bit more exciting news on the horizon, which I'll put a new thread up for :)