Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Chassis (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Chassis Kit Sent to Aus? (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=4903)

Zebra288 30th August 2010 07:34 AM

Chassis Kit Sent to Aus?

Hey guys, first post So G'day from Australia :)

Just wondering if there are any kit suppliers in the UK who would send a flat pack kit to Aus (Canberra if it matters)

Just priced up some materials locally and the price of steel here is ridiculous :(

So i may be worth getting a pre-cut kit plonked on a boat and sent to me.

Had a look at buying kits locally and well...they want $10k+ for a bare bones kit :mad:

Sooooooo anyone know of kit suppliers that ship internationally?

Thanks

Andrew

twinturbo 30th August 2010 07:39 AM

Most will do it, it's probably best to go for the most comprehensive package in one go. I think a full body set was recently shipped to Auz by one of the roadster suppliers.

TT

twinturbo 30th August 2010 07:40 AM

http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showt...highlight=body

Ok it's NZ, and of course the body is lighter that the chassis pack but it should be doooable.

Do you have suitable Sierra Donors?

TT

Zebra288 30th August 2010 07:55 AM

Nah no sierras here in Aus apart from the odd RS Cosworth Import.

Ill be using a 20V 4AGE, and hubs/brakes/wheels off my old R33 skyline racecar, and ill find a diff that will fit lol.

Goo to know that they will ship, seem to have found 2 kit suppliers on here, Saturn racecars or something and talon something or rather.

Might try and find some contact details and shoot them an email.

twinturbo 30th August 2010 08:04 AM

There's a user ( eternal ) building a Nissan based car, or at least he's using the straight 6 from his crash damaged one ( can't remember the name but it's a 4dr thing with similar running gear to a Skyline ).

I would probably recommend considering having the Sierra hubs shipped over along with other suspension components. The Roadster has been designed around these and modding what you have may cost more than it's worth. Selling on the Nissan stuff may well cover a nice proportion of the costs. The more you can get in the shipping crate the better value it will be.

Are gearboxes readily available for the Toyota engine over there? We have a limited and expensive supply. There are a couple doing it here though.

TT

locostkiwi 30th August 2010 08:25 AM

Zebra.. how hard is it to build over in Oz with all the legal tech
have you had to apply for approvable before you build ( as over here in NZ )
or can you build then go over the pits to get it safety checked?
By the way steel over here in NZ is bloody expensive ( thank god i work for a engineering firm).
Any way best of luck for your build
cheers Tony:)

Zebra288 30th August 2010 09:17 AM

The toyota boxes are fairly readily available over here, also plenty of adapter kits to mate up other boxes

It wont be road registered, just going to be a track day warrior :D Hence the 296mm 4-pot front skyline brakes :p

Im gonna stick with the skyline hubs as I know a guy who is building a Skyline Sport sedan so I have a steady supply of knowledge and stuff to mate Double wishbone arms to the skyline hubs/ball joints.

And ill prob just use a live rear axle from a 2wd hilux and run a 4 link rear end to keep it simpler, was thinking of using the Diff and rear hubs from the skyline for the rear end but a R200 diff is a little overkill for 150-170hp and 700kgs :rolleyes:

flyerncle 30th August 2010 10:43 AM

As you say Saturn Sports cars or Talon Fabrications will supply you and Handy Andy does the pre-cut kit.

ozzy1 30th August 2010 12:51 PM

Dunno why steel is so expensive for you? I bought all mine from Midalia and probably cost less than $300 for complete chassis.
Maybe worth looking in old post from 7ish as he is in NZ and went a slightly different route to the sierra donor.
Unfortunately we have to apply for permission from DPI to build the car here and also get it inspected at various stages along the way by an engineer and then a final inspection when completed. :eek:

3GE Components 30th August 2010 12:57 PM

We've shipped to several builders in Australia & New Zealand. The downside is that the cost of shipping is expensive, but that is offset partially by the fact that VAT isn't chargable on the items leaving the country.

As the prices on our website include VAT you can take 17.5% off of them.

For example, export wishbone sets, including uprights, are only £315 & bush kits are £89. Quite a saving.

Kind regards

John