Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Announcements (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Gingea1pom's Build Diary (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2840)

gingea1pom 20th February 2010 05:19 PM

20 Feb

Not quite full steam ahead as I didn’t get into the garage until 1pm.

I have finished the other engine mount, I forgot to take any pictures with it in situ, but suffice to say the engine and gearbox was in the chassis, supported by its own mounts.

I then stripped it all out put the engine by the garage door had a good tidy up finally getting two coats of etch primer on the mounts.

[IMG][/IMG]

Not sure what to do tomorrow but I should imagine it will involve welding the underside of everything I have welded so far, oh and fitting the handbrake cable guide CP14, then I will either have to pick the good book up or start cleaning Sierra parts.

twinturbo 20th February 2010 05:40 PM

Aldi Digital micrometer go mental over 10mm...

Their Wireless doorbell packed in after a couple of months too..

TT

twinturbo 20th February 2010 05:41 PM

Mounts look good.

TT

Davey 20th February 2010 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinturbo (Post 32040)
Aldi Digital micrometer go mental over 10mm...

Their Wireless doorbell packed in after a couple of months too..

TT

So take 'em back, they've got a 30 day no quibble in store money back guarantee backed up with a 3 year send it off to base guarantee. Aldi stuff is no worse than any other budget brand but it does have a genuine 3 year guarantee.

D.

GraemeWebb 20th February 2010 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dogwood (Post 31998)
I bet I hold the record for the most grinders burnt out during the build......:rolleyes:
8 so far and still counting.......:eek:

Admittedly they were cheap as chips..7.50€ each:eek:
I know I know, I could have bought a good one instead of loads of cheapies.
But I also burned out my best Bosch one.

My B&Q cheapy went to angle grinder heaven about 15 mins ago, just when I was thinking that it was lasting well. That will teach me. Thinking - its just not me.

HandyAndy 20th February 2010 06:03 PM

my grinder is the cheapo Machine Mart one , £22 , its been well used, built my car & it now gets serious use at Saturn, a great bit of kit for the money :)

cheers
andy

Bonzo 20th February 2010 06:32 PM

Looking good

The engine mount's are looking tidy Ginge :) :)

Don't remind me of cleaning donor parts .... Can't say I am looking forward to that Job :eek:

I guess that's why it hasn't been done yet :o

adrianreeve 20th February 2010 07:11 PM

Electrolysis is your friend!! Donor parts came up like new, and all you have to do is wipe them under running water when done, then get some paint on them PDQ!

Actually turned out to be a pleasurable experience, and had me looking for more rusty stuff to do!!

Cheers

Adrian

twinturbo 20th February 2010 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adrianreeve (Post 32064)
Electrolysis is your friend!! Donor parts came up like new, and all you have to do is wipe them under running water when done, then get some paint on them PDQ!

Actually turned out to be a pleasurable experience, and had me looking for more rusty stuff to do!!

Cheers

Adrian

Can you clean 20 years of gunge of an engine?

TT

Bonzo 20th February 2010 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinturbo (Post 32069)
Can you clean 20 years of gunge of an engine?

TT

Errrr well yes ..... That's what de-greaser and a pressure washer is for. :D

Electrolysis is a method of removing heavy rust scale .... very effective too ;)

Going to need a MF Electrolysis tank to fit an engine in, dread to think of the damage you'll do to the engines internals :eek: :D