Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Announcements (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Mikeb's Builds Thread (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=5501)

MikeB 29th November 2010 08:33 PM

Mikeb's Builds Thread

Well I thought i'd better start with the build thread.
Think its been 3 months since I got my chassis pack from Handy.
The chassis is nearlly there, need to finish fully welding and add suspension brackets.

Picked up donor parts at the weekend and have some shiney wishbones from talon so rolling chassis soon... well heres hoping

shh120m 29th November 2010 08:41 PM

Looking good mate, getting the suspension brackets on is a massive milestone.

MikeB 21st December 2010 08:06 PM

well not lots done but started tacking the rear suspesion mounts on, and there was a nice delivery of shiney shocks!
Added the metal panels in the drivers footwell, started fully welding parts of the chassis. Welder decided to start cutting out a lot thought this was the cold or the fact the welders getting on a bit. End up the connections in the plug had come loose, I guess the plug gets thrown around a lot as I only have two sockets in the garage.

Spikehaus 21st December 2010 10:26 PM

Hey Dude, your TVR has the same engine that I have installed into the Roadster, (with a degree of difficulty)! What engine are you planning to use?

MikeB 27th April 2011 11:35 AM

Small update on the build hopefully a bit more progress as I think I may have a couple of days in the garage coming up!

I've tacked on one side of the front suspension brackets and trial fitted everything. Thanks to Andy for getting my mushrooms modified (note anyone with 3ge mushies they will probably need modifying to get a full nyloc on the thread of the drag link).
Theres also a bit of gap at the front edge (the back edge it touching) of the upper front wishbone mount where it sit against the front frame, from recollection this is to be expected.

So with a bit of a push the chassis should be finished soon. Can't wait to get it painted and panelled so I can start to actually build the car.

So after starting this build in September I'm nearlly back to where I was with my firts build, moral of the story if you sell up keep your chassis somewhere you don't get much for them anyhow!

adrianreeve 28th April 2011 06:19 PM

Mike

Glad you're building again! If you look in my photobucket photos below, you can see that I put all the bits from your last build to good use! Nearly finished now, so thanks!

Actually, I need an exhaust for my Zetec install, so can you change your engine plans to Zetec. That way when you give up this time, I can get a bargain exhaust!!:p :p :p :p

Good luck with the build!

Cheers

Adrian

twinturbo 28th April 2011 07:45 PM

I think it's funny how we all tackle stuff in different orders.

My chassis is floored and tunneled, and the engine mocked up before I do the suspension :)

That's next on the cards..

TT

MikeB 29th April 2011 12:27 AM

First wheel on, never managed that with my last build

Also mocked up the engine and box, gearbox mounts are in engine mounts nearlly there will finish that tomorrow.

Its then finishing welding a few bits and bobs, cutting some ali panel and painting, not to far our of order twin! I use the actual suspension components and cut down jig to put the brackets on.

Glad the builds going well Adrian, can't find a pre 95 zetec for love nor money so sticking with the boat anchor for IVA then swap back to zetec.
Heh those wheels look just the job, wish I still had them and a load of other bits now!!! but heh I'll catch up soon enough, does the engine run always wondered if it was a good one? (maybe I shoudn't ask!)

Like the seats are they westie ones?

adrianreeve 29th April 2011 09:22 AM

Mike

No idea if the engine runs, only just wired the megasquirt up, and still waiting for an exhaust, but if it's a duffer, I know where you live!!! Sure it'll be fine, it's unusual for them to wear out. Hope so, cos like you said, trying to find a pre 95 one is getting really hard!

MikeB 6th May 2011 02:18 PM

Did some more welding on the chassis including tacking the the steering rack frame mounts on. I'm sure there is a dimension wrong in the book for the steering rack mount spacing

Got bored with welding so made some interior panels out of the ally I had knocking around the garage, it will be more difficult to cut once the build table has gone so a good job out of the way just need to order a new peice for the floor and bulkhead. I used a jig saw with a ali blade in it (I think wood blades work ok to) this seems to give a nice neat cut and a lot better than the angry grinder or aviation sheers.

I found this picture of my old chassis just after I sold it, a lesson to all if you have to sell up keep your chassis somewhere for the amount of cash you get for it you might want to build again. The good news is I'm nearlly back to where I was!

MarkB 6th May 2011 03:24 PM

Wood blades in a jig saw work well on ali, fine blades just clog up that's why angle grinders and cuttings discs are no good. Pendennis use what look like small woodsaw blades in 4" angle grinders, now they are scary things to use:eek:

ozzy1 6th May 2011 04:42 PM

Quote:

I'm sure there is a dimension wrong in the book for the steering rack mount spacing
I think there is an amendment from the book angle to 108' i recall.

MikeB 6th May 2011 10:33 PM

its not the angle, your right there is a mod for that, its the spacing between holes, .

MikeB 31st May 2011 12:48 PM

Chassis chassis, oh chassis, hope your happy now that you nearlly b*****y finished.
Well there we have it, chassis number 2 finished. A massive milestone. Really looking forward to the next phase of the build, a lot less angle grinding and welding. I'm proud having done the chassis but its a long slog!

Painted it with epoxy mastic from rustbuster, just used the cheapy spray gun that came with my compressor, it looks good. The standard finish is a gloss black, I bought the starter pack but will need another to do underneath and a second coat. I used some wet and dry/wire wool to rub down the chassis finished with a wiper over of thinners, note to self don't leave a big roll of wire wool around when grinding, well that is if you value your garage!!!!

IMAG0224 by mjb22001, on Flickr

IMAG0218 by mjb22001, on Flickr

IMAG0219 by mjb22001, on Flickr
I've also added a second plate for the zetec engine install after IVA from recollection its in the right place so should save me welding come upgrade.
I notched the top rail to clear the cvh thermo housing and added a 25mm rail behind the notched one to add the strength back into the chassis.
I've also left off two of the diaganols at the rear to fit a bigger fuel tank, the roll bar rails will add the necessary support in this area, its pretty tough as is!

MikeB 31st May 2011 01:23 PM

carbon carbon mmmm

Talking about carbon wings, forgot to say I have got these beauties.

IMAG0225.jpg by mjb22001, on Flickr

They are very very light (not that FG weighs much) and they look niceeeeeeee.
There's a guy on locostbuilders that makes them.
I believe they retail around £170- £200 for fronts.

MarkB 17th June 2011 03:09 PM

OOO pervy wings aye:)

baz-r 17th June 2011 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkB (Post 58244)
Wood blades in a jig saw work well on ali

i use cutting fluid for drilling and jigsawing ali works wounders and cuts like lighting :D

cooling with duck oil/wd40 also works as when the blade gets hot the alli welds its self to the blade keep the blade cool and the sh1t dont stick simples

i got air shears tho :cool:

MarkB 17th June 2011 06:11 PM

Another neat trick is a dry bar of soap rubbed on the blade...:D works on grinding discs too so ali doesn't clog the disc..:D

John.W 17th June 2011 08:10 PM

Another neat trick is to buy a cutting disc for aluminium.

MikeB 4th July 2011 12:10 PM

CVH Exhaust Manifold

A bit of an update for you.

Finally started to attach something to the chassis, this time brake lines.
I've ran the the front to rear brake line in the chassis, its looking really good
I also got hold of a ebay manifold from a westfield, its a well made stainless number for a 1.8 cvh so it will suit my zetec upgrade later.

IMAG0233 by mjb22001, on Flickr

It will foul against the diaganol though, where it exits the side of the car,
The picture shows the manifold but it needs to move to teh right inline with the current central engine mount.
Raising the angle of the diaganol should give it the clearance and not affect the chassis stiffness much. I also need to mod the engine mount, on the exhaust side of the cvh there are two possible positions for the engine mount, a central one (fouls this exhaust manifold) and a forward one off the old alternator bracket. If I use the alternator bracket this will be identifical to what is needed for the zetec to so may as well do the mod now. I 'd already put the plates on the chassis so not a big job.

twinturbo 4th July 2011 06:19 PM

looking good.

But running the brake line in the chassis may be an IVA fail :)

TT

MikeB 5th July 2011 12:01 PM

Now you have me worried! best take it all out again!

AshG 5th July 2011 12:39 PM

brake and fuel lines in chassis rails is a big no no.

MikeB 5th July 2011 01:22 PM

Woooooaaaa guys, does my pic looks like I have put them IN the chassis rails!
Same as everyone elses so don't panic! :)

MarkB 5th July 2011 02:15 PM

Nope I saw them running down the tunnel.....just like witches at black masses...:D

MikeB 9th August 2011 11:02 AM

Right hoping to make some progress on my build this weekend.
If my sheet of ali turns up I want to try and get the floor in!
With a good run at it I could even have it on its wheels! but lets not get carried away!

MikeB 17th August 2011 11:01 AM

Well i finally got my floor cut, ordered the ali from aluminium warehouse which I liked as its all on line, uk delivery no messing and i think the price was reasonable £70 delivered for a large sheet, it came on a wooden pallet and was coated both sides with plastic.

Laid the sheet on my build table, placed the chassis on top and marked out the floor. 15 minutes with the jigsaw job done.

I got some sikaflex from screwfix and ordered some countersunk pop rivets, some people have reported the glass fibre side panels need a lot of work to fit so I think countersinking the rivets will make this a lot easier.

50 rivets later and I have RSI in my hand and the drills flat! should finish the job tonight.

Then, there might be a slight chance of getting it on its wheels and the engine and box in! Can't wait, that will be a massive milestone for me!

deezee 17th August 2011 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeB (Post 62968)
Well i finally got my floor cut, ordered the ali from aluminium warehouse which I liked as its all on line, uk delivery no messing and i think the price was reasonable £70 delivered for a large sheet, it came on a wooden pallet and was coated both sides with plastic.

2500mm x 1500mm 2mm 5251 H22 (210MPa Tensile Strength) grade aluminium cost me around £35 from Aalco in Liverpool. I had to collect it though.

MikeB 17th August 2011 12:47 PM

It was 49 less VAT, a bit hard to collect without a van though! lol
Still thats a good price you got.

MikeB 18th August 2011 11:42 AM

The floor is in!
It only took about 150 pop rivets with a standard hand tool!

So surely it is time to get my chassis rolling??
I need to weld up the diff brackets
Cut slits in the handbrake bracket.
Other than that I think she is good to go.
Getting excited, dont want to be in work just at home working on the car!!

HandyAndy 18th August 2011 11:58 AM

Nice one Mike , soon be rolling it in and out of the garage :cool:

I remember the pop rivets too ....160 of the blighters :eek: had biceps like Popeye afterwards :D

get some pics up of the day she rolling :cool:

cheers
andy

MikeB 18th August 2011 02:54 PM

hopefully at the weekend, not sure I have all the nuts and bolts I need but we'll see!

twinturbo 18th August 2011 03:08 PM

Mine Rolls, and steers (just) but when it comes out of the garage it will be to allow the Old Mondeo in finaly for it to be broken up. But I can't do that in my current condition so will potter on doing little bits and bobs. Need to take the passenger side panel off to do the exhaust.

Will be good to see yours out in the open :)

TT

MikeB 21st August 2011 09:25 PM

Its a Roller

Can't believe it nearlly a year to this day my chassis kit arrived and she rolled out of the garage!
Manage to get the gf to help get the chassis out of the garage and spend saturday morning building it up.
Managed to get the engine and box in as well.
Other than being completed knackered I'm well chuffed massive milestone, it actually looks a bit like a car now when people come round!

Big question what next, get the engine running (need megajolt, carbs manifold and some wiring) sort the brakes, bodywork???

IMAG0269 by mjb22001, on Flickr

IMAG0268 by mjb22001, on Flickr

twinturbo 21st August 2011 10:11 PM

Always cool when they are rolling, I am doing my exhaust once that's done I am driving it out of the garage ( with no brakes :rolleyes: )

TT

leroybrown911 21st August 2011 10:42 PM

Well done Mike! I hopefully wont be far behind you!

You aiming for IVA next year?

MikeB 22nd August 2011 11:09 AM

yep hoping for IVA next year hopefully in time for the summer! Its cash dependant though!

K4KEV 22nd August 2011 11:43 AM

That smile sez it all...nice one Mike:cool:

wylliezx9r 22nd August 2011 11:47 AM

If i were you Mike i would fit all brake lines, fuel lines and wiring harness next, while there is a minimum amount of parts on your chassis. That will make your life a lot easier, I didnt do it in that order but i wish i had lol. Also if you havn't done so already i would fit your steering coupling and fuel tank as well.

All just my opinion though.

Cheers Dan.

HandyAndy 22nd August 2011 12:16 PM

Nice one Mike , a great milestone of your build & as Kev says " that smile says it all":cool:

Its alot easier being able to roll it out onto the drive to work on it rather than on the build table etc .

I look forward to the first start up video :cool:

cheers
andy