Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Chassis (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   My chassis build (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2189)

geeman 24th June 2009 02:25 PM

My chassis build

Well i thought i may as well post the progress of my build. So id call today day 1 of my build as yesterday i waited until 4ish for the steel to arrive so didnt do much. Ive So far cut all thebottom base lengths and tacked them together. some difficulty i did have was getting it all to fit to the specified dimensions, as wehn i screwed the wood blocks in to the build board, i had to really force the metal in place to get it to fit, but got there in the end. Also today is the sencond day ive had a working tig at home and am loving it, but in trying to save money im being really stingy about how much gass i can use and set the gas flow rate as low as possible every time. :rolleyes:

Pics of today:

AshG 24th June 2009 02:38 PM

looks like a nice big work area :D

your not hanging arround on the chassis either.

geeman 24th June 2009 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AshG (Post 16751)
looks like a nice big work area :D

your not hanging arround on the chassis either.

Lol, yeah, i knew it would be a tight fit, but i guess ill have to live with it. :D

The rage 3 compound mitre saw is literally saving me hours though as i had to cut br8 and br9 with a hacksaw as they have 70 somthing angle on it which the rage3 wont do and it took me ages and was painful so id rather stick to using the rage 3. It should make the building of the front bits ff1-ff4 a breeze and i hope to finsih that today as well. However one downside o the saw is the ammount of metal swarf and in my size build area i keep on having to vaccuum to stop stepping of leaning on it. I even have a pair of tweezers for removing metal splinters as my hands re full of em'.

jasongray5 24th June 2009 03:26 PM

Looking good mate! Realy good feeling isnt it?
Keep up the good work!

HandyAndy 24th June 2009 04:17 PM

well done Geeman, looking good :cool:
the space will get tighter by the day ;) :D

enjoy your build.

andy

AshG 24th June 2009 05:07 PM

dont worry about the space im building in a smaller area. in fact i think i have the smallest build area on the whole froum lol

as for the swarf! wait until you have to grind the welds back! thats the horrible messy bit.

mark 24th June 2009 05:23 PM

Im tight on space too! building in my garage which is in a modern house ie not big enough for a modern car! but im managing. As AshG said grinding for long periods in a confined space is messy:eek:

i rigged up an extraction system with a small centrifugal fan and some 4" flexible hose with a clamp to hold it near work piece which helped alot, especially when welding up chassis.

geeman 25th June 2009 10:14 AM

Ok well i tacked together the nose )ff1-ff4) yesterday afternoon, but it was arel pain to get the angles on ff2,3 right as i kept cutting them wrong as i got abit confused and ended up wasting some(about 80cm) metal. Well ill probably continue with the build later today and lets see where i get then.:D As far as i can see im progressing well.:D :)

Edit:
forgot to add pics

Here we go

HandyAndy 25th June 2009 10:26 AM

well done Geeman, don,t worry..... i think the front frame has caused lots of builders a few head scratching moments, it certainly did for me :o :eek: .
its a great feeling as the chassis starts to gain in height.
well done mate:cool:

andy
( you,ll be dreaming/nightmare of FF1 to FF2 To aaarrrggghhh ) :D

geeman 25th June 2009 10:30 AM

yup, it really is a great feeling, i just heald the nose in place for a few minutes and just stared at it...:o :rolleyes: , but really the kind of 2d to 3d transition really makes you feel good.

(we really should abbreviate the phrase 'really makes you feel good' as the ammount of times we all say it is going to get out of hand:p :p )