Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Donor cars (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   I'm new, so be nice. (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=4240)

David_17 8th May 2010 10:00 PM

I'm new, so be nice.

Hi everyone.

I've just joined up to gain some knowledge, before starting my build.

I've got the book, i've got the enthusiasm, my problem is workspace. I only have access to a single garage, so having a donor isn't really an option for me.

I plan on using a zetec engine, so won't be needing the engine from the sierra anyway. Anyone have an idea of how much the sierra parts i need would cost roughly, if buying seperatley? Eg. uprights, gearbox etc.

Thanks in advance.

Dave.

*EDIT* thinking about it, what else would i need off the sierra, besides brakes, uprights, gearbox (+ diff) and steering column?

HandyAndy 8th May 2010 10:15 PM

welcome to the forum David, :)

you can get most parts needed from ebay but takes time to source them all,
gearboxes are approx £50 to £70, uprights / brakes etc tend to sell as a job lot, you can of course buy brand new front uprights from Rally Design, i think they are £99 a pair.

good luck with your build, any questions then have a search on here or ask away, its a very friendly forum & everyone is willing to help .

cheers
andy

David_17 8th May 2010 10:37 PM

Thanks for the welcome and quick reply :)

I think that's how i'll go about it then, instead of buying a donor car. Saves the hassle of getting rid of the scrap left over too :p

twinturbo 8th May 2010 10:37 PM

A not fully comprehensive list of sierra parts is...

Front Hubs
Steerign Column + UJ Shaft
Front Calipers
Rear Shafts
Rear Drums or calipers
Handbrake
Diff
Stalks
Dash
Gearbox
Engine
Engine Loom
Steering wheel
Handbrake cable

You will find some bits cost a fair bit unless your luck ( steering column for example )

Good luck on the build

TT

Tatey 8th May 2010 11:21 PM

David, where in the north east are you located?

I am building my car in a single garage at the moment and decided to go down the buy parts separately route. I managed to pick up the following in one go for £125:

Engine
Gearbox
Driveshafts
Diff
Front hubs
Front callipers
Rear hubs
Rear drums

I then managed to pick up a complete sierra column the other week for £12.07. So the bargains are out there.

I was going to be going down the CVH engine route as I got it chucked in with my donor parts, but it was going to prove too costly to get running again as it required a lot of work. I managed to pick up a 94 1.8 zetec engine with 70,000 miles for £40 from someone local to me. It is a known runner as he was going to be putting it into his car.

So if you are local to me then feel free to come round and have a look at my build as it sounds as if you will be going down a similar route to me.

David_17 8th May 2010 11:24 PM

Hiya.

I'm in Redcar (cleveland).

That sounds like an amazing bargin all that lot! Where did you manage to find that?

Tatey 8th May 2010 11:29 PM

What is it with Roadster builders being located in Cleveland? :p.

There are a few other builders near by you, including Spud69 of Saturn Sports Cars, so you're sorted for a local supplier of Roadster parts and no doubt inspiration if Spud takes you out in his car, as I can tell you, once you've been out in the real thing, you really want to get yours on the road.

It was a tip off from a fellow builder on here, the guy was going to be building his own kit car but then never got round to it, so decided to sell it all. I was initially struggling to find donor parts, and I was going to be going down the donor car route until that deal popped up.

David_17 8th May 2010 11:31 PM

I'll have to keep my eyes out. For bargins and fellow builders on the roads :D

MightyMouth 8th May 2010 11:36 PM

You don't really need a garage for the donor, if you have a drive or even a front lawn you can park it on you can have it stripped over a weekend.

HandyAndy 8th May 2010 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tatey (Post 37809)
What is it with Roadster builders being located in Cleveland? :p.

:D there,s a few of us in Cleveland building..... must be something in the air .

I,m local to you david, happy to help in any way I can, my car is getting close to being finished, welcome to pop over & talk " Roadster" anytime :cool:

cheers
andy