Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Announcements (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Stots Build Thread (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12492)

Stot 13th May 2013 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johno (Post 88846)
Any thoughts on how you are going to mount your diff yet? It's been a topic of much debate in the past on which way to mount it.

I had a think about this at the weekend. I want to solid mount the nose as its solid mounted in the MX5. I was going to do a bracket like Phil has drawn in the past that welds into where the CP10s would be on the Sierra build.

While I was thinking about that I realised that I actually had a pair of CP10s I wont be using so thought I would come up with something using them.

I think it should work well, and it can be unbolted for diff access.

Cheers
Stot

Talonmotorsport 14th May 2013 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ayjay (Post 90149)
Love to have a go!:)

Just one small snag---a minisnag-----snagette-----snagbach(thats a Welsh snag):o

ANYONE GUESS WHAT IT IS:confused:

You don't have your own CNC milling machine and the software to run it to hand by chance???

Stot 14th May 2013 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talonmotorsport (Post 90238)
You don't have your own CNC milling machine and the software to run it to hand by chance???

Thats why I made this post... :p

Cheers
Stot

ayjay 14th May 2013 06:01 PM

Quote:

Well guessed Phil:D

Stot 15th May 2013 06:25 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ayjay (Post 90249)
Well guessed Phil

Just for you guys, heres how to do the rest of it without a CNC machine. :rolleyes:

I superglued the photopolymer versions onto some discs of MDF the right size and cut round them then wrapped some electrical tape around to give a clean edge.

Put them in some molding forms and poured silicone onto them, left it to cure and demolded.

Stot 15th May 2013 06:26 AM

Perfect copies, a lot less finishing needed on casts from these molds as they are flat, my CNC one had a slight dome to it.

The larger one is for my wheel centre caps.

Heres the first casts out of the molds.

Cheers
Stot

Stot 15th May 2013 08:56 PM

Heres a wheel centre fitted. Spray it wheel silver again, jobs a good un.

Cheers
Stot

Stot 16th May 2013 08:12 PM

Here my first attempt at colour infill. I filled with coloured gelcoat up the edges.

Its really thick so hasn't really settled in the recesses. I'm going to try and overfill and sand down on the next ones.

Cheers
Stot

Stot 18th May 2013 05:48 PM

Hi All,

I got some real car stuff done today. I wanted to mount the diff and get the engine in. I did OK.

I got the engine in and in position with the sump ~40mm below the bottom rail. It may be a little lower but thats OK. I can always shim it up under the rubbers If I have any problems and I plan to shorten the sump at some point.

Saying that with the bonnet in position I couldnt have got it any higher anyway!

Where it is positioned it is not fouling the steering column either.

Stot 18th May 2013 05:51 PM

Diff went in easy enough.

I will be putting 2 holes where the yellow circles are to bolt the nose hanger I made in.

I could weld it but the diff is hard enough to get in and out of the cage as it is so being able to unbolt it will be great.