Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General discussion (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   TwinTurbos Build Diary.... (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=4335)

deezee 2nd May 2013 12:15 PM

Roadster is looking good, coming along a charm.

twinturbo 2nd May 2013 06:32 PM

Cheers... Been concentrating on the Sierra these last few days whilst off work which means I am goosed by the evening so little progress on the roadster. But going to try and keep chipping at it now that The rear wings are done, and the dash layout is done..

TT

twinturbo 12th May 2013 04:10 PM

It was difficult to get the camera far enough away to get a shot... but this is what it looks like.

And the new rear fog/reverse light fitted.

In the process of clearing up the garage a bit too so it's all a mess. And bits of sierra all over the place too as I keep on at that project(s)

TT

Johno 12th May 2013 05:01 PM

That's looking really sweet TT...:cool:
I think I'm going to go down the black wing route now also....:)
Where did you get your lights from and I guess they are LED?

twinturbo 12th May 2013 05:46 PM

Bolt-on-bits.

the stop/tail/indicator are fillament. The rev/fog were originally fillament but the fog was not "F" Marked so they swapped them for the LED ones.

TT

twinturbo 15th June 2013 10:34 AM

Almost no progress this month due to

1) Having to be tight with the pennies.
2) Being on holiday
3) Taking up Cycling
4) Doing some work on the XR4x4
5) Garage being a mess..
6) RSI's in my wrists
7) Not being bothered.

I did start on mounting the casing for my fuse box, which took some thought and swearing then striking luck with my thoughts and solving a few problems in one go. The reality at the moment is that I can't be bothered to finish the dash wiring which realy is the step that needs finishing before moving on.

Trying to sell some bits and bobs from my garage spares to make some funds but they will probably go elsewhere anyway!

TT

robo 15th June 2013 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinturbo (Post 90221)
It was difficult to get the camera far enough away to get a shot... but this is what it looks like.

And the new rear fog/reverse light fitted.

In the process of clearing up the garage a bit too so it's all a mess. And bits of sierra all over the place too as I keep on at that project(s)

TT

I know how you feel rob, I had been hoarding stuff for years and thought sod it the space is worth more to me than the shite I have gathered. Living on a farm means you gather more things than perhaps you should so I had a mass sort out. 180 tons of old tractors,machines,engines and vehicles went to the scrap yard over the period of a month:o Upside is it has given me space for my toys and a man cave to be proud of. happy days.

Bob

twinturbo 13th October 2013 09:00 AM

Garage is now tidy, and one sill on the XR4x4 is now almost done. Too dark to cycle on an evening...

But it's getting cold!

Time to take a look at what to get on with.

TT

twinturbo 19th October 2013 03:43 PM

Garage now untidy.

Change of plans on my wiring. I was going to build a bespoke fuse box and loom. But that was going to be £70-80+++

I was picking up a spare 2.9 V6 for the XR4x4 and the guy gave me the remains of the loom from the car. So the plan now is to do what I have advised most people not to do........

Fortunatly I already know sierra looms very well and can identify which sections are not needed quite easily. And I have the official diagrams.

I will cut out the junk, and then shorten the runs that are needed adding in multiplugs at the fuse box so that it can be removed easily, it's one thing that many sierra owners curse ford for being cheap when designing the fues box.

TT

alga 24th October 2013 07:13 PM

I was going to make an original loom just using the Sierra fuse box, but ended up basically replicating the Sierra layout of the fuses and relays for the things that remained. This way the fuse ratings and wire gauges are right everywhere, and most of the crimped connections inside could remain. It's not a bad option if you don't find the Sierra fuse box fugly. The Sierra wiring is relatively pedestrian (I had a 1993 Mondeo loom to break apart, too, that was way more complex), but you get a couple of spare relays and fuses for stuff you might want to add (ECU, fuel pump, rad fan and such in my case).

Here's the diagram I pasted inside the fusebox lid. Maybe you'll find it any use.