Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Bodywork and interior (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   My dashboard attempt (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=8382)

rpjg1975 17th August 2012 06:56 PM

My dashboard attempt

2 Attachment(s)
After an original attempt and then a bit of finishing touches this is my final dash attempt. Just rear fog light switch to fit but want to source a nicer one rather than use the sierra standard unit

After seeing a couple of westfield dashboards at the newark kit car show I decided that I wanted to do some kind of thicker section to go round the edge to finish it off a bit nicer

Attachment 1497

Attachment 1498

Hope it meets with you guys approval

Russ

deezee 17th August 2012 07:36 PM

Looks great. My dash is one of the areas I'd like to improve.... Especially as I have no IVA rules to comply too.

alga 18th August 2012 12:36 AM

Very nice indeed!

Spikehaus 18th August 2012 07:43 AM

I am working on mine today, what did you use to pad it? I am thinking about using a roll camping mat. Also not sure how to make the rounded bottom edge?

voucht 18th August 2012 08:34 AM

Very nice work :cool:
What brand are the instruments? I like the chrome rings around.
Thanks.

rpjg1975 18th August 2012 02:51 PM

Spike, it is exactly that. Camping mat from morrisons for the bargain price of £3 and if when u cover the mdf u carry on with the mat and staple/stick it to the rear it gives u a nice rounded soft edge so u can get away with a better radius because it isnt solid. I stuck it to the mdf with spray adhesive but the trick is not to stick your vinyl/faux leather on the front just stick/staple it to the back so you don't get any creases!

Voucht, The gauges are custom made ones from a company called greengauges on the tinterweb. I actually got the second hand from ebay but they had never been fitted.

Spikehaus 18th August 2012 04:40 PM

Where did you get your vinyl / leather from? I still need to purchase this

rpjg1975 18th August 2012 04:48 PM

I got mine from ebay seller bargain_fabrics. I got 2 metres by 1 metre and there's enough to do about 3 dash's! Was about 12 quid from memory

robo 18th August 2012 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rpjg1975 (Post 77055)
After an original attempt and then a bit of finishing touches this is my final dash attempt. Just rear fog light switch to fit but want to source a nicer one rather than use the sierra standard unit

After seeing a couple of westfield dashboards at the newark kit car show I decided that I wanted to do some kind of thicker section to go round the edge to finish it off a bit nicer

Attachment 1497

Attachment 1498

Hope it meets with you guys approval

Russ

Thats my kind of dash:cool: Like the glovebox but where are the heater controls:o

Bob

rpjg1975 18th August 2012 10:53 PM

Couldn't bring myself to fit a heater :rolleyes: