Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Engine/transmission (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Fuel filter (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=5280)

David_17 24th October 2010 06:58 PM

Fuel filter

I forgot about my fuel filter when fitting my pump and tank, i've cut it in here, which is fine, but it hasn't got a support bracket. Is that an IVA fail?

It's nowhere near touching anything and has no weight, so can't see it being a problem, but i know how fussy they are.

Anyone know?

Cheers

Locky 24th October 2010 07:14 PM

It may get more weighty with fuel in it and road vibration. Maybe you could put a pipe bracket from the chassis to the filter. you can get stainless ones with a rubber on the bracket, industrial pipe fitters use them they would be the people to get in touch with.

SeriesLandy 24th October 2010 07:16 PM

I dont know if you would have to but can you not weld a u bracket to the one holding the fuel pump? I'm sure you don't want to weld to the painted chassis.

HandyAndy 24th October 2010 07:38 PM

I agree with Locky & Steve, I,d get it supported somehow, how about an even longer exhaust clamp using a couple of nylocs to hold the clamp brace in place under the filter housing to keep the filter away from the pump?

Just a thought Dave.........where do you intend securing the roll bar back stays? I know you have the Saturn GRP tub, & that you,ve seen where my back stays attach to the chassis ( in the same place your fuel pump is situated).

cheers
andy

David_17 24th October 2010 07:46 PM

Thanks for the quick replys guys. I'll make some sort of bracket for the sake of it. Better safe than sorry.

Andy, i'm going to have the rear support between the pump and the tank. (hopefully) :P

There's more room than the pic shows.

HandyAndy 24th October 2010 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David_17 (Post 47418)

Andy, i'm going to have the rear support between the pump and the tank. (hopefully) :P

There's more room than the pic shows.

:o Ah, ok :D

soon be having a little test drive eh? ;) :cool:

cheers
andy

David_17 24th October 2010 08:39 PM

Still a short while off that :(

Still need brake hoses and shoes, propshaft etc. Then needs mapping, doesnt even idle yet :P

On a side note, does £50 seem a reasonable price for the materials to make a set of 4 braided hoses (delivered)?

If not, does anyone know anywhere cheaper?

flyerncle 24th October 2010 09:24 PM

Make a new bracket and mount both on it, the fuel pump bolted solid will do your head in vibrating on the chassis.

SeriesLandy 24th October 2010 09:33 PM

More like £60 from russ on locost builders.

Linky

flyerncle 24th October 2010 09:38 PM

A new thought, two jubilee clips and some rubber to the nearest rail.
I paid near that for enough stainless braided pipes and fittings to do both ends,mind your finger ends when you are fitting the ferrules to the end of the pipe.