Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Announcements (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Stots Build Thread (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12492)

Stot 5th March 2013 09:59 PM

Hmmm. Difficult to change the pivot points at this end, may be easier to change it at the throttle body.

How much would you say it is out? Is there say twice as much travel as you would expect?

Cheers
Stot

Davidbolam 5th March 2013 10:33 PM

I would say twice as much. It may be ok if you don't put any grip tape on the peddle as you can slide your foot forwards and let it slip under your foot. I've got grip tape on mine and it feels really awkward. (If that makes sense).

Stot 6th March 2013 10:24 AM

I cant really change the pivot distances at the pedal theres just not the space, so I guess there are 2 options

Turn a smaller pulley for the throttle body.
Put a pulley on the bottom of the pedal and loop the cable back to the backplate. This will create twice the cable pull for the same pedal travel. I would need to use a longer cable but they are cheap enough.

I think option 1 is easier.

Cheers
Stot

Stot 6th March 2013 12:27 PM

Heres how the throttle body pulley can be modified.

This would give 1/2 the pedal travel to WOT and really simple to turn one up on the lathe.

Cheers
Stot

ayjay 6th March 2013 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stot (Post 88909)
I cant really change the pivot distances at the pedal theres just not the space, so I guess there are 2 options

Turn a smaller pulley for the throttle body.
Put a pulley on the bottom of the pedal and loop the cable back to the backplate. This will create twice the cable pull for the same pedal travel. I would need to use a longer cable but they are cheap enough.

I think option 1 is easier.

Cheers
Stot

Not sure about the mathematics on that one:confused:

Stot 6th March 2013 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ayjay (Post 88913)
Not sure about the mathematics on that one:confused:

Every 1cm of movement of the pulley the cable is wrapped around would require the cable at the top of the pulley to be 1cm longer and the cable at the bottom of the pulley to be 1cm longer, so 2cm of cable total. As the cable is attached to the back plate at the bottom the 2cm required has to come from the top by pulling on the throttle.

I think the TB linkage is a better idea though. :D

Cheers
Stot

ayjay 6th March 2013 03:42 PM

Yep --got it .Old age creeping in:rolleyes:

Talonmotorsport 6th March 2013 04:50 PM

Have you considered making a bell crank which would give you you a 2:1 or 1:2 ratio?

Stot 6th March 2013 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talonmotorsport (Post 88922)
Have you considered making a bell crank which would give you you a 2:1 or 1:2 ratio?

That would work but it would need a more complicated linkage and bracketry along the way as well as extra cables or control rods.

I'll give the TB pulley/linkage a go first,its a 10 min job on the lathe and mill.

Cheers
Stot

Johno 6th March 2013 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davidbolam (Post 88901)
Both skov and myself noticed on he mx5 the accelerator pedal moves a long way. It might be an idea before its installed to see if it can be modified in some way.

Hi,
Didn't Skov say that Nathan supplied him with the wrong pedal and this is what caused the long travel? Not quite sure now....

Stot 13th March 2013 06:57 PM

Got something delivered today. One of the only things I will be doing to the engine other than a lick of paint on the block!

Cam cover from America - $$$
Shipping to UK - $$$$
Customs costs - $$$$$$
Unique look and no Mazda Logo - Priceless :D

skov 13th March 2013 07:54 PM

Very nice :) Looks far too clean!

Is it off a 323 gtx?

Stot 13th March 2013 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skov (Post 89029)
Very nice :) Looks far too clean!

Is it off a 323 gtx?

No the 323 one has a Mazda logo one side and the DOHC 16VALVE on the other.

This one is from a Mercury Capri XR2. A car designed in Italy using Japanese parts to be built in Australia and then sold in the USA.....

Cheers
Stot

skov 13th March 2013 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stot (Post 89030)
A car designed in Italy using Japanese parts to be built in Australia and then sold in the USA....

Makes perfect sense, lol

Don't know why I didn't guess it was off one of those!

Stot 15th March 2013 10:23 AM

20 mins with some sandpaper.

Cheers
Stot

Stot 20th March 2013 02:31 PM

Went to pick up a body kit from Equinox today. It all fit in my Hilux, which was nice.

Obviously im not ready to fit it but I wanted a nosecone and scuttle for positioning purposes and in the interests of colour matching and a deal I ordered the whole set, with clam shell wings even! :p

Cheers
Stot

Davidbolam 20th March 2013 04:00 PM

Can you put up some photos of the body kit without the bubble wrap. I am looking into bodywork and cannot decide who to use.

Stot 20th March 2013 04:56 PM

Im sure my wife will be pleased to help me set it up in the kitchen tonight... :D

Cheers
Stot

Stot 20th March 2013 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stot (Post 89139)
Im sure my wife will be pleased to help me set it up in the kitchen tonight

Who thought I was kidding?

Cheers
Stot

ayjay 20th March 2013 09:04 PM

Looks good:)

Is it Metallic BRG?

Stot 20th March 2013 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ayjay (Post 89143)
Looks good:)

Is it Metallic BRG?

No just standard RAL6005. Gelcoat with a good polish on it can give a really deep colour. :cool:

Cheers
Stot

alga 20th March 2013 09:16 PM

Colour code KAR120C :)

Stot 21st March 2013 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alga (Post 89145)
Colour code KAR120C :)

Well, its got to look right next to this in the garage.

Cheers
Stot

Not Anumber 21st March 2013 09:25 AM

Let me know how you get on with the clamshell wings, ive been thinking of moving over to them.

Stot 21st March 2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Not Anumber (Post 89148)
Let me know how you get on with the clamshell wings, ive been thinking of moving over to them.

Will do.

Dave said he doesnt know how they fit exactly as he has only sold one other set of them.

They need a bracket fabricating about 2/3 of the way up as well as bolting to the sides so Ill probably weld in a 3mm strip to the chassis so that they are bolting into metal rather than just onto the GRP sides.

Cheers
Stot

Not Anumber 22nd March 2013 08:52 PM

Amazing pace on your build and its always great to see use of the traditional colours and styling.

Stot 22nd March 2013 10:18 PM

Thanks! I think i'm lucky enough to have a lot of the tools I need to save a lot of time on it so far.

I'm looking at the dash at the moment. I was thinking of some classic Smiths dials or something like that but its cable drive and 1024 revs per mile so not all that common, and besides I have a perfectly good dash from the MX5 and there's a guy on MX5Nutz who does custom dials. Only problem is the shape of the instrument cluster doesn't flow nicely, but it does upside down so I'm currently designing some dials.

I'm going to have bezeled bulbs/leds for the warning lights.

Moving the position of the needles is easy, major problem is the odometer would be upside down. So I took it out and flipped it over. Just had to fettle the back a bit to allow it to fit.

And while i was there I zeroed the odometer.

Only initial problem is I don't have a way of resetting the trip meter a the moment because the reset button would be where the indicator tell tale is.

Not the end of the world, I could do without a trip meter.

I should note. That last photo is just me playing with paper dials, not the finished items!

Cheers
Stot

Johno 24th March 2013 07:45 AM

That's dammed impressive :cool:
I think the layout of the Mx5 suits the car well.
Look forward to more photos.

Stot 24th March 2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johno (Post 89217)
That's dammed impressive :cool:
I think the layout of the Mx5 suits the car well.
Look forward to more photos.

Cheers, It looks to fit real nice.

I have refined my design a bit as I realised I have a 140mph speedo and I have included KM/H on the speedo for DVLA registration.

Need to check I have all the required tell tale lights, these are all the ones that are currently on the dash so should be ok.

Cheers
Stot

flyerncle 24th March 2013 12:06 PM

There has been a lot of changes to the MOT as of last week so I would think we will see a change to IVA manual as well.

Stot 26th March 2013 10:15 PM

Getting closer

Cheers
Stot

Not Anumber 27th March 2013 11:38 AM

Excellent work. What software did you use to produce those dial graphics ?

Stot 27th March 2013 11:53 AM

I use CorelDraw as I have been using it over 20 years now. Adobe Illustrator would also be a good choice as both of these are vector (math) based and would give the best results.

You could use a Photoshop or Gimp type program as long as you work at ~600dpi and keep everything on layers.

Cheers
Stot

alga 27th March 2013 12:06 PM

Inkscape is the open source vector drawing program. http://inkscape.org/ I used it to bang together the logo in my avatar.

Stot 27th March 2013 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alga (Post 89287)
Inkscape is the open source vector drawing program. http://inkscape.org/ I used it to bang together the logo in my avatar.

Yep that would be perfect.

Cheers
Stot

ayjay 27th March 2013 05:38 PM

I was wondering if a badge could be produced from your avatar design?

Stot 27th March 2013 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ayjay (Post 89291)
I was wondering if a badge could be produced from your avatar design?

Yeah it can. I'll be doing a bonnet badge and wheel hub badges. I have a small CNC mill so ill be able to knock them up but DIY CNC is a slow process.

Cheers
Stot

ayjay 27th March 2013 10:51 PM

Looking forward to that:)

Keep us all posted on it;)

Cheers

alga 28th March 2013 12:43 AM

Ooooh, CNC'd brass polished and painted with enamel? That would be ace.

twinturbo 29th March 2013 09:00 AM

Nice Dials...

TT