Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General discussion (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   How much use is a plasma cutter? (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=8540)

The V8 Files 6th October 2012 11:03 AM

How much use is a plasma cutter?

Ok I'm still selling bits of my donor and using the money to buy tooling etc, one of the things I was looking at was a plasma cutter, initially for cutting the donor up and then using for the build.

I'm just wondering though how much people have actually used a plasma cutter during the build and if its a worthwhile investment or if I'm better putting the money into other things.

spud69 6th October 2012 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dad_of_Seven (Post 78839)
Ok I'm still selling bits of my donor and using the money to buy tooling etc, one of the things I was looking at was a plasma cutter, initially for cutting the donor up and then using for the build.

I'm just wondering though how much people have actually used a plasma cutter during the build and if its a worthwhile investment or if I'm better putting the money into other things.

I had a hand held plasma cutter for a while which i thought i would use for cutting CP plates, i thought it was a decent purchase at the time but i could never get away with it to get a nice clean cut - just couldn't do it. Might have been me but sure we'll see what other peoples experience with them is. Grinder with metal cutting discs and flap discs was easier.

Andy

The V8 Files 6th October 2012 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spud69 (Post 78842)
I had a hand held plasma cutter for a while which i thought i would use for cutting CP plates, i thought it was a decent purchase at the time but i could never get away with it to get a nice clean cut - just couldn't do it. Might have been me but sure we'll see what other peoples experience with them is. Grinder with metal cutting discs and flap discs was easier.

Andy

Thanks Andy, that kinds of confirms my suspicions that actually it might not be worthwhile. I'l most likely use GRP bodywork and the only other things that came to mind to use it for was the CPs and floor pans etc. As you say floor pans can easily be cut with grinder/jigsaw, both of which I have and CP's (grinder as well), but if thats the only other use then its probably more cost effective to get them pre cut.

I've been looking around at plasma's, and you can pick cheapy imports up for £250 - £350, R-Tech seem to do a nice 40A and one of their shop soiled one's you can get for £500. Second hand they seem to sell for nearly new prices! There's lots of other bits I could buy with that money.

Anyone else had any experiences?

Talonmotorsport 6th October 2012 12:12 PM

I have a cheap cut40 £150 that I use on 1-3mm sheet and it works well enough with a little practice,any thing over 4mm and it struggles to make a clean job of it. You have to use a straight edge or a curved guide fence and be very smooth with your movement, you have to drag the torch across the material not push. They are sensitive to the balance between air pressure and amps much like welding is. Great little tool if you use it say 2-3 times a week but you may better off with a 4" and 9" angle grinder if your only going to use it to build a Roadster.

The V8 Files 6th October 2012 12:29 PM

Yep already got both 4" and 9" grinders, thinking I might get 2 more 4" ones so I can have them set up with cutting, grinding and flap wheels without having to keep switching discs. I've only been playing about a little bit and found that's a pain in the arse already:p

vmax1974 6th October 2012 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dad_of_Seven (Post 78845)
Yep already got both 4" and 9" grinders, thinking I might get 2 more 4" ones so I can have them set up with cutting, grinding and flap wheels without having to keep switching discs. I've only been playing about a little bit and found that's a pain in the arse already:p

Its is a right pain I have been thinking along the same lines about having extra grinders but as someone said to me the other day I only got 25 more pieces to cut then I can get on with welding up and getting her rolling

ozzy1 6th October 2012 01:44 PM

Plasma cutters are good BUT the hand held type wont really be that good for cutting the cp plates with as it needs to move at a fair rate of knots on thin plate and would be better off being cnc controlled.So i would say save your money and use it for something else and either cut the plates with a grinder or buy them ready cut.:eek:

baz-r 6th October 2012 01:56 PM

i used to sell and demo plasma cutters and my opinion is you really need a unit man enough for the job to get a nice clean cut and the price realy ramps up as you get bigger and your limited on a 240v domestic supply.
bit of an expensive toy for building a roadster but a very handy tool in a everyday workshop.

Dualist 6th October 2012 06:03 PM

^^^^ as Baz said, you need to fork out a lot to make sure it can do a smooth cut.
I've got a 3phase Zeta 60 in my workshop and when cutting above 10mm it starts to need a bit of tidying up afterwards but 3 and 5mm plates cuts are sweet.

Eternal 6th October 2012 06:17 PM

I have to admit i love my one. Used it to cut the steel 2mm floor sheets and took no time at all!