Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Running gear (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   shocking question? (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=5820)

fabbyglass 6th February 2011 11:32 AM

Funny how folk post a comment then it disappears........:D

RAYLEE29 6th February 2011 07:21 PM

Must have missed that one was someone being naughty lol
Ray:)

fabbyglass 6th February 2011 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAYLEE29 (Post 52792)
Must have missed that one was someone being naughty lol
Ray:)

No it wasn't rude, naughty or even taking the piss that's why I thought it was funny the post vamooooshed...:rolleyes:

snapper 6th February 2011 09:57 PM

Surely this is development , this is people developing a very good idea and making it better, move back from the conspiracy theory and take the engineering development further.

fabbyglass 7th February 2011 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snapper (Post 52807)
Surely this is development , this is people developing a very good idea and making it better, move back from the conspiracy theory and take the engineering development further.

Life is a conspiracy you know, we all live in a poota cos I've seen the "matrix":D

spud69 7th February 2011 10:05 AM

Had a day and a half away from the 'puter so i think its time to add my experience / thoughts.......:cool:

Springs are rated at whatever poundage / inch of travel irrespective at what state of compression they are in as long as they don't become fully compressed they will always react the same. So, 14" dampers with 9" springs will react the same as 13" dampers + 1" extension with 8" springs just with the 14" dampers you will have more travel. The length of the springs governs the ride height of the car thus screwing the ring nut up and down the damper adjusts the ride height of the car / corner weighting rather than adjusting the handling. Cheaper, 14" springs, will be fine with the correct length, 9", springs on.

From my own cars on the road the rear of the car is ideal with 14" damper + 8 /9" springs, whether 13" + 1" (8" spring) or 14" (9" spring), allowing plenty of adjustment for ride height. Car runs well on 4" front and 4 1/2" rear allowing enough clearance for most speed bumps. The front, however, with 13" + 1" with an 8" spring is at it's lowest setting for the front ride height at 4". Obviously when it comes to track time i would ideally like to lower the car as much as possible so next time i'm going for a 14" damper (for longer travel) with an 7 / 8" spring to give the lower ride height when required. The rear there is plenty of adjustment available.

Ideally, for the cost of springs, i think i'll go for a stiffer track set of springs and also the standard road going springs (350 front and 250 rear). They are easy to change and would make a big difference on the track.

Just my thoughts.....Andrew

baz-r 8th February 2011 09:21 PM

so what spring rates you useing spud (my book says 350lb/200lb for std so i take thats for a pinto)

fabbyglass 9th February 2011 09:45 AM

Matt at Procomp has a good section on his webby about shocks, Something I never realised that no two shocks ever seem to be the same so Matt dyno's them so you get matched pairs...clever stuff :cool:

http://www.procomp.co.uk/shockdyno.html

chriseyj 9th February 2011 12:02 PM

Hi Baz r where did you get a price for the off the shelf 14" gaz coilovers? I've been looking at different suppliers.
From what people have said It sounds like the top hat was just a fix for those who had already bought 13" coilovers therefore I'd love to buy some £110 cheaper.
Whats the normal advised spring rates for a BEC for I have a zx9r engine?
Also do we need longer springs with the 14" units?

Cheers chris

baz-r 9th February 2011 01:48 PM

ok people im not a suspension expert or a shock supplyer so please please stop pm'ing me about shock supply and what spring rate is right for your car. when i have a solid quote and supplier im can let you know im not doing a group buy to find out when your car is finished the shocks are not quiet right! you can buy your own at your own risk
im just tring to find a better option that you might want to go for yourself
price was given for 4 std locost/westfield dampers and springs with a length and spring choice after speeking to the supplier it looks like the orignal pack options at £247+vat might be no good but a simular price could be available
buy picking standerd size shocks and springs .
also you can go buy them from anywhere and of almost any make not just gaz or protech (that was the real idea)
avo,spax and meny others could be used as it looks like thay all make the same sizes.