Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Chassis (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Is this chassis too small??? (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=4140)

Balidey 22nd April 2010 11:41 AM

I keep pestering my boss to get us one. It would be so useful at work for rapid prototyping.
But I know we would all abuse it for 'home-work' too.
Very cool chassis though.

TOLiSGR 22nd April 2010 03:59 PM

That's awesome... looks much better than my balsa one!! When are you going to make a few more?

MightyMouth 22nd April 2010 11:03 PM

Can you use it to print all the parts in the printer? It would virtually be a Von Neumann machine.

John Marchant 23rd April 2010 12:00 AM

Really need to get a CAD file with solid tubes before printing another as it is very fragile. May help to build it a little bit bigger. Probably look better with grey resin aswell.

I will try and get a price together for anyone that wants one but the materials are very expensive.

Hoybi 23rd April 2010 06:19 AM

One for me please .....

Hello John,

if you could get me one at a decent price, I supply the matching bodywork vacuumformed for no price, transparant or not.
And while I'm at it, making a few more is no point.
That means I can easily make extra bodies. Without cutting and finishing.
Have a look at my website.

Eddy
www.alfaprojects.be

Enoch 23rd April 2010 10:01 AM

Very cool. All we need now is a really big one of those machines that can pump out liquid steel instead of resin - a chassis in half an hour:D
Nice job.

HandyAndy 23rd April 2010 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enoch (Post 36762)
- a chassis in half an hour,
Nice job.

oooh I wish that too :D
Think how many I could "cut" in a week :)

I,m up to my ears in steel at the mo, 5 flatpacks in 7 days ,,,, :eek: :cool:

I think the resin chassis John has made is a great bit of kit.

cheers
andy

Balidey 23rd April 2010 01:25 PM

You shouldn't be using this process to make several. Its 'rapid prototype' technology. The clue is in the title :D . If you are going to make several then you should really make a mould from 1 and then cast several.
I am sure Tamiya did a Caterham kit a few years ago, but a 'true' model of a Haynes Roadster would be a cool thing to have.

John Marchant 23rd April 2010 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enoch (Post 36762)
Very cool. All we need now is a really big one of those machines that can pump out liquid steel instead of resin - a chassis in half an hour:D
Nice job.

Funny you should mention that. There is a similar machine that can rapid prototype in Titanium, but I haven't got one of these:(

John Marchant 23rd April 2010 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balidey (Post 36768)
You shouldn't be using this process to make several. Its 'rapid prototype' technology. The clue is in the title :D . If you are going to make several then you should really make a mould from 1 and then cast several.
I am sure Tamiya did a Caterham kit a few years ago, but a 'true' model of a Haynes Roadster would be a cool thing to have.

These machines although traditionally used for prototypes are being used more and more for manufacturing and are part of a group of technologies known as additive layer manufacturing (which is what we will be using it for). This is because every part that we make is bespoke.