Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Bodywork and interior (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Just what the roadster needs (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=6327)

leroybrown911 20th April 2011 10:32 PM

I will defo be getting one of these when I get my bodywork, any ideas on price yet?

vmax1974 21st April 2011 07:47 AM

i will have one of them too

Finally something i know anything about

in order to get the ground effect you will need to break the airflow up by adding a vertical lip to start the air swirling towards the undertray then the fins speed the air up pulling the rear end towards the floor

flyerncle 21st April 2011 09:01 AM

Vortex generators,also fitted to aircraft wings !!!!;)

spud69 21st April 2011 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vmax1974 (Post 57417)

in order to get the ground effect you will need to break the airflow up by adding a vertical lip to start the air swirling towards the undertray then the fins speed the air up pulling the rear end towards the floor

That could easily be added at this stage, i will look into it during having a few beers on Sunday.

Cheers...Andrew

Deanno 21st April 2011 09:51 AM

I was planning on doing a rear defuser out of carbon fibre.
any news on prices?

alsoSpud you have a PM

vmax1974 21st April 2011 09:54 AM

I was going to pop in this morning but instead i went to stockton to let real radio smash the wifes ornimental plates :eek: lol may pop in later

cornishmaid 21st April 2011 10:20 AM

Will this fit with the rear panel section that was made by Triton? Our car is fitted with the full Triton body panels which we purchased back in 2008, we had a few extras done at the time which Triton intended to put into production but don't think they did so it makes our car rather special.:)

deezee 21st April 2011 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vmax1974 (Post 57417)

This might sound like a daft question, but how fast does a car need to go to gain any appreciable effect from aerodynamic aids? I.E. Is there enough gain for road use, or is it more track related?

vmax1974 21st April 2011 10:34 AM

should have a small effect on the road but the real benefit will always be on track and on motorways and as spud said the rear panel will not act as an airbrake to slow the car down other things you could do is some vents in the top rear of the rear arches to unload the pressure build up in them that will reduce the airbrake effect too so should also help with fuel costs

cornishmaid 21st April 2011 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vmax1974 (Post 57430)
should have a small effect on the road but the real benefit will always be on track and on motorways and as spud said the rear panel will not act as an airbrake to slow the car down other things you could do is some vents in the top rear of the rear arches to unload the pressure build up in them that will reduce the airbrake effect too

Caterham spent a lot time and money in wind tunnels on this very subject a few years ago. I believe the model that uses the findings is the CSR version.