Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General discussion (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Vmax's build (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=7534)

alga 18th August 2012 09:35 PM

You don't need acid, sodium carbonate (washing soda) will do fine if not better. It will not attack metal surfaces, just rust. Also, don't use a battery, use a dumb battery charger (with the ammeter, without the control circuitry).

Here's a good summary:

http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/ru..._derusting.htm

Avoid stainess electrodes, as chromium salts are extremely toxic, leaving you with several gallons of toxic waste. It's unclear whether the chromium dissolves, but better safe than sorry. Sacrificial mild steel anodes do the job just fine, just need replacing after a lot of use.

The V8 Files 18th August 2012 10:27 PM

I plan on trying this myself and have read a few write ups which all say very similar to Alga's link, if IIRC one suggested a battery with a charger on can give good results, although this might have been to beef up a low powered charger. Asda do soda crystals for 90p a kilo.

vmax1974 18th August 2012 10:32 PM

my charger is one of these so called smart charger's so wont work without the battery

Will try it without the acid

Does make the garage smell nice though

alga 19th August 2012 12:33 AM

I didn't find any washing soda (sodium carbonate), so I made it out of baking soda (sodium hydrocarbonate) by heating it on the kitchen stove. When a certain temperature is reached, the powder starts "boiling" with little eruptions. I used just two or three table spoons for ~10 gallons of water. I used the solution for more than a year, the results are magic :-)

vmax1974 19th October 2012 04:16 PM

Just an update it has felt like christmas last week or so have taken delivery of my wishbones made by johno and gotta say work art got my bushes but still gotta make crush tubes and just waiting on a very nice set of cv boots in the same green as the rest of my flexible bits
Have also been busy in the workshop I now have a transmission tunnel so have had a sit in my chassis to make brum brum screech noises

Hoping to be rolling in the next month or 2 I will provide photos once rolling cause there is not much to show till Then

Thanks all

Johno 22nd October 2012 08:42 PM

Hi dave...
Glad you are happy with them but sorry about some of the paint runs...:eek: :eek:
Had a few problems with the light and the spray gun...LOL... well that's my excuse and I'm sticking with it.....:D :D

vmax1974 22nd October 2012 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johno (Post 79459)
Hi dave...
Glad you are happy with them but sorry about some of the paint runs...:eek: :eek:
Had a few problems with the light and the spray gun...LOL... well that's my excuse and I'm sticking with it.....:D :D

The light must have been bad cause I cant find any runs on them lol

vmax1974 22nd November 2012 09:53 PM

Well today was a good day for the build

All the chassis plates turned up so I was able to go and have a play got the rear shock mounts put together and all looking awesome but then disaster I run out of mig wire again so will purchase some more over the weekend and get going again next week

So then I decided to clean up a little so put a few bits under the table stood up and the front frame got in the way of my nose quick trip to a & e to confirm what the crack I heard was I am ok just not having a very good week with doctors

Also having problems with kidneys and nobody seems to know what lol

Anyway I hope to have it rolling in a month so all in all very happy man

P.s has anyone got a front frame jig I could borrow

The V8 Files 22nd November 2012 09:58 PM

Lol Dave, must be a Red Nose day, I managed to burn the inside of mine :o

Look forward to seeing it rolling :)

robo 22nd November 2012 10:04 PM

I would liked to have been a fly on the wall of either of your workshops today:eek: With earsmuffs on of course:p

Bob.

Warning Roadsters Can Damage Your Health:D
------------------------------------------