Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Running gear (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Rear suspension - wheel fouling (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=4322)

Josh 22nd May 2010 10:55 PM

Rear suspension - wheel fouling

3 Attachment(s)
I was getting my head round the rear suspension/drive arangement this evening and came across what I hope isn't a problem! I'm using 14" wheels and the gap between the wheel hub and lower wishbone/bolt seems veeery tight? :confused:

I'm yet to cut the bolts down to length so there's quite a bit of thread sticking out and at the moment theres no way its gona get in there?? I've got the rear upright sitting 73mm off the face of the wheel (measurment I took from the rear drive shaft assembly). See photos...

Are people using 14" wheels on the rear?? Can anyone post a photo showing me what it should look like?

Cheers
Josh

RAYLEE29 22nd May 2010 11:10 PM

Hi, if your using 14"s and book uprights then you will have a clearance issue.
this was covered ages ago so you prob werent around then. i modded my rear uprights by moving the lower hole up about 6mm. if you search the original thread should still be here somewhere.
Ray:)

Josh 22nd May 2010 11:34 PM

ahhh... this is probably going to mean I just make/buy new uprights. My mounting plate is fully vertical not at 45 degrees and I would rather not have 14" on the front and 15" on the rear, or 15" all round for that matter.

By moving that lower hole up 6mm (or there abouts) will I alter the suspension/handelling characteristics?......... Actually thinking about it the top dimensions of the upright are what matter for the rear suspension. Altering the lower hole position should only effect the camber, which can be dialled out with the top camber adjuster?????????? :confused:

Any other issues I should be awear of before I spend more money/cut more metal?! :o

Cheers
Josh

twinturbo 22nd May 2010 11:40 PM

Why not 15's?

TT

Headshot 23rd May 2010 07:29 AM

Just my opinion, but isn't going up from 14" to 15" a very minor change, if you are dropping a profile in tyre size, you won't have a bigger rolling circumference either, and it will stop the hassle with the uprights :confused:

(p.s. its nuggets of info like this which make this forum invaluable to a fresh starter like me! )

Josh 23rd May 2010 09:05 AM

I can think clearer now its the morning, was a little annoyed last night at the prospect of having to buy/make new uprights! And as Headshot says 14 to 15's isnt a big change at all, and lower profile tyres would probably look better too! Just a shame as I already have a nice set of 14" alloys of my sierra - no doubt they'll shift on eBay though :rolleyes:

Only issue now is the disc calipers but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it...

Cheers
josh

twinturbo 23rd May 2010 09:15 AM

TBH, Alloy wheels unless they are something special don't realy sell these days.

Tyres on the other hand do.

So, don't pay a lot for 15's with shot tyres and then have to wrap them.

Apart from the ones on my galaxy ( they are Heavy Duty ) I have only bought 1 tyre in 8 years. I just buy alloys with good tyres and swap em round.

TT

Josh 23rd May 2010 10:10 AM

Cheers for the heads up TT, your knowledge is invaluable as ever :cool: !

HandyAndy 23rd May 2010 10:48 AM

I paid £40 for my 15inch alloys( for all 4 ), admittedly the tyres are shot but I wanted these particular wheels ( Ford Puma "prop style" ) as i think they cover the weedy discs & drums nicely :)
I,ll be buying 4 new tyres for £125 & have a friendly local tyre place that will fit them for me ;)
Tho it depends on your budget etc but Halfords have some good deals on wheels/tyres combinations for around £300

cheers
andy

Big Vern 23rd May 2010 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinturbo (Post 38671)
TBH, Alloy wheels unless they are something special don't realy sell these days.

TT

Really? guess I've been lucky then - I've been getting between £25-£50 per rim depending on condition and desirability.:)

BV:)