Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General discussion (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Another build thread (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=5830)

skov 9th July 2012 02:19 PM

Yeah, I know it's going to be pretty hot there!
My plan is to bolt some ducting like this to the intake side of the airbox and route cold air into it from somewhere else:

skov 10th July 2012 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davidbolam (Post 75425)
Hi Skov,
The pictures are looking really great there. I have a question. I noticed you had put up a post a few weeks ago showing the accelerator cable. Did you use the original one or purchase a new item. Thanks David

Hi David, just finished my throttle cable, here's the details as promised:

The cable I used is a Sytec 1m universal cable, which I cut down to the length I needed.
To link it to the pedal I used a 'classis' trials bike brake clevis (sold on ebay for use on BSA/Norton/Triumph/etc.) which seems to fit both the pedal and the cable nicely.

At the throttle body end, I used a 10x5mm solderless nipple.

At the pedal box I used a bicycle brake cable adjuster to hold the cable outer in place, and at the manifold I reused the adjuster from the MX5 cable.

To get it to fit under the bonnet I had to reposition the braket on the manifold by grinding the top hole off the manifold and drilling/tapping a new one futher down.

One thing I did notice is that you need a massive amount of pedal movement to get the full travel on the throttle body.
Not sure if that's a good thing or not!

Hope that helps.

Davidbolam 10th July 2012 10:50 PM

Thanks for the update re the cable. I was thinking a shorter accelerator pedal would be better as mine feels like its been designed for a size 15 shoe!

skov 4th August 2012 07:24 AM

Haven't done a massive amount on the roadster lately, but have been slowly knitting together the spaghetti under the scuttle.
Got to the point last night where I could tentatively connect the battery up.
Well blow me down - no fires, smoke, or blown fuses!
All the relays seem to switch, and the engine turns!!!
Might have to stick some fuel in soon and see if she runs.

Davidbolam 4th August 2012 11:58 AM

Don't forget the video!!

The wiring under the scuttle looks really tidy. I am worried that there won't be enough space under mine as there is that much!!

Hope it starts first time for you.

David

skov 4th August 2012 12:47 PM

Don't worry, I won't forget the video!
Have you managed to get your's started yet David?

Davidbolam 4th August 2012 08:13 PM

Not yet. The fuel pipes that I got off eBay need to go back as they were just sent in a plastic bag and are full of dents. Looks like the postman sat on it!

skov 4th August 2012 08:19 PM

She Lives!!!!

Just started her for the first time, woot woot! :D :D :D

Here's the requisite evidence:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjKb0...ature=youtu.be

Might have to fit an exhaust before I try again!

Davidbolam 5th August 2012 07:25 PM

congratulations - it wont be long until you are taking it for a spin up the street!!

Johno 5th August 2012 08:12 PM

Well done John.....:D
I bet you are well happy with her starting up.
I see you had a big grin on your face on the vid but couldn't see if you had your fingers crossed....:)

Glad to see your hard work is paying off....

Johno

skov 6th August 2012 11:11 PM

Thanks guys, I did indeed have a big grin :D
I had a little bit of excitment just before that too. Ran the fuel pump to get the fuel rail pressurised in preperation, and it turned out one of my injectors wasn't seated properly, resulting in a petrol fountain!

Tried to make a start on the exhaust today, but the bearings went in my angry grinder... and shortly afterwards I managed to break my last jigsaw blade trying to cut an exit hole in my side panel :rolleyes:

Davidbolam 8th August 2012 12:02 AM

John,

On the fuel rail which of the fuel tubes is the input and which is the exit?

I was going to select the one with the small regulator as the exit. Hoping this is right. I was thinking that if yours started you must have had them the correct way around.

David

skov 8th August 2012 06:52 AM

Hi David,
That's right - the one at the rear near the regulator is the exit. I went on mx5nutz and asked that very same question just to make sure!

skov 8th August 2012 09:34 AM

Shiny!

Oooh, the postman has been kind today :D

Johno 8th August 2012 08:31 PM

Well that looks very nice indeed....:cool:

May I be cheeky:o and ask how much?
Really looks well made, what are the specs of it.
Once shes fitted first test drive looming......????????:eek:

Johno

skov 8th August 2012 09:06 PM

It's a Simmi Performace stainless steel end can.
Handmade in the North of England apparently, so must be good! It does appear to be very nicely made.
Comes with a removable baffle too which might be handy for the IVA noise test :D

Here's the ebay listing:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250800426533?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p398 4.m1439.l2649

Still a fair way off the first test drive yet! Hopefully get time to drop the propshaft off for shortening this week, which'll get me one step closer.

motomaniac 8th August 2012 09:28 PM

bloody hell, simmi, hes just up the road from me.... did the removable baffle for my supermoto.... nice work he does...

Davidbolam 8th August 2012 10:46 PM

The exhaust looks good and it comes from consent the home of the philleas fogg tortilla chip!

That's only about 10 miles from me so I may use one of those if it works well.

motomaniac 9th August 2012 01:04 AM

hes just outside if he hasnt moved, somewhere i think near stoney heap.... got mine done a few years ago, so he might have got bigger premises now...

skov 21st August 2012 09:08 AM

My shortened propshaft turned up from Bailey Morris today.
Looks like they've done a great job, and have even painted it which I hadn't expected!

K4KEV 21st August 2012 11:21 AM

jeeeez....that looks awefully long....mine will be half that length at least, is the mx5 box really that short?

CTWV50 21st August 2012 11:28 AM

So when is the first drive? :)

CTWV50 21st August 2012 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skov (Post 76675)
Just started her for the first time, woot woot! :D :D :D

Here's the requisite evidence:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjKb0...ature=youtu.be

Might have to fit an exhaust before I try again!

Well done john, made me smile when I saw you crack a smile! My little buy said over the noise "Why is he turning it on when it's not ready?" Haha!

skov 21st August 2012 09:06 PM

You had me worried all afternoon Kev, turns out my massive shaft fits perfectly though :D

I was just thinking this morning I hadn't seen you on here for a while Chris!
I'm still a little way from the first test drive yet. I need to get the clutch and brakes working, make the exhaust system, and stop it p!ssing coolant all over the place :mad:
Really looking forward to blasting up and down my drive though!

K4KEV 22nd August 2012 12:51 AM

just realized John ...the sierra diff sits a little way into the trans tunnel and its my g/box that sits a long way back ....it had me thinking (worrying too):confused:

CTWV50 22nd August 2012 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skov (Post 77190)
I was just thinking this morning I hadn't seen you on here for a while Chris!

It's that time of year again where I just can't be bothered!:rolleyes:

skov 23rd August 2012 08:37 AM

I know the feeling, my build time's been fairly minimal recently :rolleyes:

skov 27th August 2012 08:37 PM

Had a successful bank holiday today.
The wife could tell I was hankering to get in the garage and offered to take all the kids out shopping for the afternoon (in return for a fistfull of spending money of course!).
Managed to fabricate my exhaust system and take her out for her first drive :D
Ok, so I only went up and down the drive (largely because the brakes don't work yet), but it was still quite exciting!
I'll stick up some photos of the exhaust later, but here's the first drive video for now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlClgxiGbrQ&feature=plcp

ayjay 27th August 2012 08:55 PM

Well done;)
Did you use the back wall of the garage as a brake?

twinturbo 27th August 2012 09:08 PM

Must be a very long time sine I did much productive, and going up and down the drive is blocked by the other two projects :rolleyes:

May have a couple of free days a week for the next few months, so perhaps progress on all fronts.

TT

Davidbolam 27th August 2012 09:13 PM

Well done. I must get out in the garage tomorrow night!!

David

skov 27th August 2012 11:04 PM

Thanks Guys :D

Here's some pics of my exhaust set up.
The tubing is just two 90 degree bends, with some strange angles cut into the ends to make it all line up (took a lot of trial and error!).
As mentioned previously, the end can is by Simmi Performance, and I mounted it using the hanger strap it came with and two 'half moon' exhaust rubbers I found on ebay.

Johno 29th August 2012 08:27 PM

Hey....:D
First turn of the tyre under its own steam?
One serious goal achieved there John.... my hat off to you buddy.;)

Exhaust looks good too, I see you put it plenty forward of the rear wheel arch compared to a lot of builds, is this to keep heat of it?
Also I've been looking on here regarding exhaust clamps and IVA but not found a lot. Obviously not a good idea to put a plastic cap on one's nuts in this area....:D

Is part of this area exempt to a certain degree as per the front shock area?:confused:

Whats your thoughts John?

Johno

skov 29th August 2012 09:02 PM

Hey Johno,
I put it that far forward for several reasons.
The official reason is to stop the kids stepping/burning themselves on it getting into the car, and to stop it melting the rear arch.
The real reason is I was too lazy to make it any longer, and too tight to buy the extra pipe (the bits I did use were fished out of the bin at work :) )

Not sure what to do about the exhaust clamp. I might just cover it in exhaust heat wrap, which might then fall off on the way home from the IVA ;)

Johno 2nd September 2012 06:52 PM

Hi John,
I hate to be the bearer of bad news :( but has anybody pointed out that your green paint on your side panels is looking a bit eeerrrr.... frayed around the edges.....:D:D

Do you plan to put a heat shield around your'e lovely bike can at some point?
Is it true the carbon fibre cans don't heat up as much as stainless cans as black would look good against yellow.
Not that I'm enquiring for my own build of course you know....:rolleyes:

Johno

skov 2nd September 2012 10:57 PM

Ha ha. I've been trying to keep that protective film on for as long as possible, as I'm bound to scratch my panels to buggery as soon as I do!

No idea if carbon is cooler or not :confused: Does look good though :D
Simmi do a carbon version of my can for another 30 or 40 quid.
I was quite tempted, but was struggling to justify spending a ton on the can, let alone any more :rolleyes:

Hadn't thought about a heatshield to be honest.

skov 6th September 2012 11:21 AM

Managed to get my brakes working last night, so I can now stop as well as go!

I really hadn't been looking forward to bleeding the system, and was having nightmares about spending days pumping the pedal, but it couldn't have been easier!
I went for the squirting-fluid-into-the-callipers-with-a-syringe approach. A few squirts into each one in turn, tried the pedal and it was pressurised :D
Usually takes me several hours to get any pedal pressure!

Davidbolam 6th September 2012 01:49 PM

Now I really have to go into the garage and do some building lol!!

You will have to pop a video on youtube of your first blast up the street!

Have you had any thoughts about the front wing stays. I know Nathan produced some and had them available on the NTS site. Have you designed your own yet?

David

skov 6th September 2012 02:08 PM

I'm not sure I want to post incriminating evidence on youtube!

I have been thinking about how to do the wingstays recently, and have some ideas, but haven't started making them yet.

vmax1974 6th September 2012 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skov (Post 77610)
I'm not sure I want to post incriminating evidence on youtube!

I have been thinking about how to do the wingstays recently, and have some ideas, but haven't started making them yet.

When you do please make a few sets cause I will be wanting some too