Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Chassis (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   5in Tube (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2755)

Rik178m 18th September 2009 10:36 AM

5in Tube

Has anyone got any I could buy? obv for the rear uprights.
Or will steel merchants sell it me in a small quantity?

AshG 18th September 2009 12:38 PM

3ge will sell you a bit cut to the exact size

Chris Gibbs 18th September 2009 12:38 PM

3ge sell 'em

Cheers

Chris :)

RAYLEE29 18th September 2009 05:08 PM

lesson learnt

Having gone to the trouble of finding a fabrication company that had some suitable tube, the man was very helpful and said "ill cut two to the length you want plus a bit to skim off if you want" great I thought and he did exactly that.
All was going great till he placed the tubes on the ground outside and I asked "how much" (thinking he'd say give us a fiver mate) no he says "£20" (OOPS!)me "your joking yeah"
him "No"
me "Oh But Ive only got a tenner as i wasnt expecting it to be that much". anyway he got very upset and started lecturing me on people wanting somat for nothing the fact he'd taken 15 mins to cut it and the hourly rate etc and Its £60 a metre etc etc then went on to tell me about its people like me that have caused the demise of british engineering (im an engineer) etc etc anyway he took my tenner and walked of muttering.
I walked off quite upset that id ruined the country, but I had my tube lol
any way the point is if you find someone with some get a price before they cut it!!!!
3ge only want £7 each for the finished part
Ray:)

Rik178m 18th September 2009 09:16 PM

3ge it is then.

Sounds like you had fun! I would have been tryin not to laugh! :rolleyes:

dogwood 18th September 2009 09:30 PM

Defo see you coming Ray.
I only paid 15€ for half a meter.

David

Bonzo 18th September 2009 09:37 PM

:eek: :eek:

I was lucky, found a 2ft length on the cutting room floor of my local steel stockists.
Paid 60p a kilo for it :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAYLEE29 (Post 21824)
Having gone to the trouble of finding a fabrication company that had some suitable tube, the man was very helpful and said "ill cut two to the length you want plus a bit to skim off if you want" great I thought and he did exactly that.
All was going great till he placed the tubes on the ground outside and I asked "how much" (thinking he'd say give us a fiver mate) no he says "£20" (OOPS!)me "your joking yeah"
him "No"
me "Oh But Ive only got a tenner as i wasnt expecting it to be that much". anyway he got very upset and started lecturing me on people wanting somat for nothing the fact he'd taken 15 mins to cut it and the hourly rate etc and Its £60 a metre etc etc then went on to tell me about its people like me that have caused the demise of british engineering (im an engineer) etc etc anyway he took my tenner and walked of muttering.
I walked off quite upset that id ruined the country, but I had my tube lol
any way the point is if you find someone with some get a price before they cut it!!!!
3ge only want £7 each for the finished part
Ray:)

AshG 19th September 2009 12:34 AM

i recall those days hunting around for scraps in the cutting area. its all buggared up these days with all these health and safety twits about

Bonzo 19th September 2009 09:29 AM

H&S

Yes things have gone a bit OTT re health & safety :eek:

Parkers being more anal about it than many :(

I do make a practice of wearing protective clothing when I visit the stockists. ;)
Hard hat, rigger gloves & boots. Oh high vis jacket as well :o