Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Announcements (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   MoysieWRX's Build Thread (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=7593)

MoysieWRX 3rd January 2012 05:55 PM

MoysieWRX's Build Thread

Thought i'd start off my build thread with some photos of my MX5 donor.
Its the 1.6 Eunos Roadster (Jap import)

MoysieWRX 3rd January 2012 05:58 PM

The photos dont quite do justice to the imaculate bodywork of this car (with exception to a bit rust on the drivers wing) seems a shame to break it up.

Even still has 6 month MOT. Was considering insuring it and running about with it until i start to need parts from it, however the missus has been eyeing it up and trying to drop hints that she wants it. I think if i was to put it back on the road, i may need to find another donor lol :rolleyes:

Engine and gearbox seem solid.

Nothing happening yet construction wise as my local steel supplier/ timber merchant won't be open until monday to put in my materials order :(

robo 3rd January 2012 07:42 PM

[quote=MoysieWRX;69370]The photos dont quite do justice to the imaculate bodywork of this car (with exception to a bit rust on the drivers wing) seems a shame to break it up.

Even still has 6 month MOT. Was considering insuring it and running about with it until i start to need parts from it, however the missus has been eyeing it up and trying to drop hints that she wants it. I think if i was to put it back on the road, i may need to find another donor lol :rolleyes:

Might as well use it if you can as you wont need any of it untill the chassis is built. Might also win some browny points from her indoors:rolleyes: :rolleyes: <as if>:)

And welcome to the forum.

Bob

MoysieWRX 3rd January 2012 09:10 PM

Yeah right, more likely i'll need to find another car lol
Still considering whether to put it on the road and give it a bit sideways fun :D
Would need to mess aroung getting insurance and road tax aswell,would it really be worth the hastle me putting it on the road for a few months.

In two minds whether to put it on the road just now or strip off the parts i dont need and sell them to get some of my money back.
Would like to buy a new welder for the project, at the minute i have a portable 130A Gasless mig.

stew 3rd January 2012 10:24 PM

Hi, and welcome. Look forward to seeing how your build comes along, im also in the process of doing a MX5 based car. :)

twinturbo 3rd January 2012 10:48 PM

Put it on the road and enjoy it for a few months..

TT

MoysieWRX 14th January 2012 09:44 PM

Havn't posted in the last week or so, quick update.
Still have not started the build yet been getting quotes on the steel etc.
Although i first thought i would put the donor back on the road for a few months till i need parts from it, i decided that i would just strip it and sell the parts.
Had it advertised for breaking for around 5 days in various places and had looooooads of intrest. Sold some of the parts and got £600 in sales so far :D so making profit and still have the parts i need BONUS :cool: . Loads of parts still to sell.

Someone has paid a deposit for the bare chassis (minus V5 + VIN) so im currently consentrating on stripping the car for the guy to take the chassis (the guy is not too fussy about when he gets it, within reason obv) and for me to sell all the unwanted parts and free up more space.

Will probably order some steel next week although wont be able to start building the chassis straight away due to stripping the car and going to Paris a week on wed.
Hoping to get started building the chassis around Mid Feb, its taking a little while to strip the MX5 with working long shifts during the week, only having around an hour and half to two hours each night split between stripping the car, selling parts and then reply to emails for parts when go back into house.
Also had some trouble with hard to reach rusty bolts :mad: :mad:

MoysieWRX 14th January 2012 09:50 PM

Makeshift seat :p

MoysieWRX 6th February 2012 08:57 PM

Donor car Body now fully stripped sitting on Axle stands above the running gear etc. Ready to be collected by the buyer on sunday.

Should then be able wheel the running gear out to the side of the garage to clear some space to get my build table constructed.
Will need to order my steel very soon.

Done quite well so far in terms of making money off of the spare parts from the donor car, will fund the start of the build. Still loads of parts left to sell :rolleyes: