Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Announcements (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Eternal's Straight 6 Build Thread (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=4468)

Eternal 16th June 2010 01:37 PM

Eternal's Straight 6 Build Thread

Well got the garage ready to go! and build table is at last dead flat!

(sorry about the bad photoshop)

So i guess at last i can start my build. I will be using the RB25DET out of my written off my Nissan Stagea (skyline estate) and using a sierra donor for all the parts i need. I hope the 7" difs can take the torque of the engine. Will need to use the stock one for the IVA but if i find problems i can allways swap around later.
I will be doing a small extention on the front to move the suspension/rack forward and to make more space inside the engine bay area. Will have to get a free cad program from somewhere and make my chassis design in it.
Anyhow not much more to say about atm but i will keep this updated as i do the build.
Laters!

Eternal (Alex)

drury318 16th June 2010 02:10 PM

Hello Alex, all the best with your build, but I think you should look for a bigger & better equipped workshop mate!

Dennis.

Eternal 16th June 2010 03:24 PM

Haha alot of saving to get all that lot but kinda handy to have the gear when needed.
Not used the tig for a while still getting it all setup but just did this. Just a bit of practice work any tig welders able to give me any tips? trying to work out how to finish the weld off and look nice this one looks a big crap at the end.

EDIT: whops i made the image size was massive lol

baz-r 16th June 2010 05:49 PM

does the tig have down ramp control? that can help the crappy end you get on your run

loads of tigs have diffrent settings and knobs understanding what thay do realy helps

id be using a 2.4mm tungsen very pointed, 1.6 filler, around 50amps dc and 25 crator/base if you have it, pulse off if you have it, hf start on if you have it
1 sec pre gas
2 sec post gas

keep the torch travel constent with around 1.5 mm gap and dip/drag the filler onto the edge of the shiny pool to cool it keeping the bead uniform in with
as the work pice heats up you just go a bit quicker

not as easy as it sounds :D
a steady hand makes light work in the tig world

i realy miss tig welding

Headshot 16th June 2010 10:32 PM

Can I just say.......

Chuffin nora! I WANT that workspace!!!!!!!

Good luck with the build, can't wait to see this one finished :D

aerosam 17th June 2010 08:01 AM

Nice build area, looks like you spent a few bob down your local Machine Mart too!

That's the first build area I have seen that has a PC with the haynes forum up, so you can ask questions whilst actually doing the work - fantastic!

Look forward to seeing this build progress!

spud69 17th June 2010 09:05 AM

Wholly inadequate Alex workshop, still need more gear - dont see a lathe in there (bet its behind the camera)........;) :D ;)

Only jesting of course, all the best with your build....AndyH

Eternal 17th June 2010 09:28 AM

No lathe atm :D But the frame at the back is to encase my milling machine thats being converted to cnc atm. Should be getting my electonics from the states today woooo! loads more work rofl. Will be adding a 4th axis in the future so will be able to do lathe type stuff.

Thanks for the tips Baz i only have 2.4mm rods atm, gas is allready set to 1&2sec. pulse is off atm and i was doing that at around 70amps so will bring it down and try again. Just got to practice i guess :D

davidimurray 17th June 2010 10:34 AM

Nice workshop :D

What are you doing with the mill? I've go a 3axis (must finish the 4th) CNC mill. Was a manual machine I retrofitted ball screws to hooked up to some stepper drivers and running Mach3. I've also got a Denford Starturn CNC lathe I retrofitted to modern electronics and that again runs Mach3. Love my toys :D

Eternal 17th June 2010 11:00 AM

Sweet just going to be doing some small bits to start with. May make some stuff for eBay when I can make stuff good enough. I'm using a x3 small mill ATM. Will post more info when I get back.

Eternal 17th June 2010 01:30 PM

Right here is the setup im doing for the mill.

X3 Small mill

Just picked these up from Parcel Farce had to pay them over 25quid in handling grrr + customs. It took them longer to move it from customs to Dorset than it took from the factory(usa) to england. oh well heh
Geckodrive G540, 2x Keling KL23H2100-35-4B 381 oz motors for X and Y, 1x Keling KL34H295-43-8A 906 oz N34 motor for Z and 1x Keling KL-350-48 48V/7.3A PSU.

Will be getting the cncfusion delux kit when i got the stand and liquid cooling ready.

davidimurray 17th June 2010 02:43 PM

That's a nice setup - I got some very similar motorsfrom Keling and a similar PSU secondhand in the UK. Geckos are great bits of kit. I've alos got a touchscreen on mine which is brilliant - bought it for £9 as the glass unit and just glued it to the front of my monitor.

I recently added coolant on mine - thought these proper setups were a bit expensive so I bought a pond pump, a plastic box, some funnels and some hose and got the system going for £30 - then spent another £20 on proper locline for the hose. Works like a dream so far :D

Eternal 18th June 2010 04:28 PM

Just got a phone call from the director of kit car type stuff from the Bournemouth DVLA had a nice long chat and he gave me his personal number. He confirmed that i can used the steering colum and axle along with a unwelded chassis kit from saturn to get a age related plate. Also he is sending me a load of forms/info. Unfortunatly due to current rules ect i cant get a custom vin but will be issued with a dvla one instead. No big deal what i really care about is a non Q. Real nice chap and he will be the one to inspect the car as well. So yeah fantastic news :D

Eternal 20th June 2010 10:13 AM

Took a picture of the engine i will be using. My word its large heh going to have some fun making a custom front inlet plenum as well. :D

twinturbo 20th June 2010 10:50 AM

Got to love a straigh6 though...

My usual choice of Propultion is a V6, wish I had gone with one on the galaxy rather than the 4pot.

TT

Eternal 20th June 2010 02:50 PM

bugger! had a look under the engine just to see whats what and i have the RB26DETT GTR sump :eek: its solid ally and huge lol

rb25det rwd tin sump

rb26dett gtr sump/dif single cast.

Any ideas what i should do?

Edit: ohh this is a cool idea

Eternal 20th June 2010 05:06 PM

hah if i made the roadster left hand drive i could probably keep it 4wd haha

bobbyh 21st June 2010 12:18 PM

sounds tempting. :D

twinturbo 21st June 2010 02:48 PM

Get a steel sump pan.

TT

twinturbo 21st June 2010 02:49 PM

I am amazed they cast the diff housing into the sump, sierra ones bolt on.

TT

twinturbo 21st June 2010 02:51 PM

P.s.....

Did you not knwo you had 4x4?

TT

Eternal 21st June 2010 03:46 PM

Yeah i knew it was 4x4 but i did not realise the sump was like that.

if i get a 91' r32 rb25de engine block i can transplant my 97' rb25det head and internals. using the serial number i can then prove its pre 93 and thus no cat but is that a bit naughty?

Eternal 22nd June 2010 03:11 PM

progress! cant belive how much stuff there is attached to this engine!

should have it out tomorrow i think. i have not even started on the underside of the car yet :rolleyes:

Insurance finaly settled on paying me and wanted 120quid for the car so yeah great birthday gift from them lol

twinturbo 22nd June 2010 04:10 PM

WOW, £120 that's a bit of a bargin. Did they payout meet your expectations?

TT

Eternal 22nd June 2010 04:58 PM

Yeah i got what i bought the car for lol :D

twinturbo 22nd June 2010 05:55 PM

Magic :)

I bet you will make a packet on the rest of the parts too.

TT

Eternal 22nd June 2010 07:27 PM

Yeah all the cash is going towards the roadster. Just bought a RB26dett inlet plenum going to get the cam covers as well its going to look sweet :D

Eternal 23rd June 2010 04:34 PM

Damn that was alot of work! But jobs a good'un that gearbox is massive. honestly its HUGE. Think i need a beer now lol :D

Eternal 23rd June 2010 08:21 PM

sweet engine loom out now as well. U guys think i will need the interor loom? Also u think i will need the fusebox/alternator loom or should i just make that lot up from scratch or use the sierra.

twinturbo 23rd June 2010 08:39 PM

I am going to make all but the engine loom from scratch.

TT

Davey 23rd June 2010 09:27 PM

I'm making my wiring up from scratch for the whole animal, engine harness, lighting, charging, radio?:confused: and I'm using a third party engine management unit to boot! Also if anybody hasn't noticed I'll be bald from July 29th till August bank holiday:confused: :eek: !

D.

Headshot 24th June 2010 07:13 AM

I am also going to build my loom from scratch, except engine loom :confused:

Eternal 24th June 2010 08:41 AM

Cool i dont have to cut my knucles any more yay!

So do you guys think a 194mm stretch will make the car look silly? duno if i should stretch the hight by 1 inch as well.

Eternal 24th June 2010 12:48 PM

Evil HUGE auto gearbox removed at last. freaking supid gtr sump requiresyou to remove the flywheel before you can get to the bolts to remove the sump...... but the flywheel requires you to remove the sump to remove it! i had to heat up a 14mm spanner and bend it with a S shape to be able to get behind the flywheel. The sump has enough material to mill out socket holes so will do that i think. Could use a steel sump but that has no gearbox bolts so not quite as strong.

Eternal 25th June 2010 05:46 PM

Right thats pretty much all im going to remove from the engine. Going to use rb26dett cam covers and pully cover just to make it look nice and will match the rb26dett plenum that i will be modding onto the stock rb25 one. Will have to cut stock plenum up and make a adapter out of it. The Ally sump really weights alot! have decided to use a steel one instead will save some weight. Edit: its 14.5kg! wow

Was checking out the length of the engine stretch and have worked out it will give the roadster pretty much the same wheel base as the Donkervoort D8GT. Have decided to shrink the cockpit by 1inch as well im 6ft so i should be ok :D

Enoch 25th June 2010 08:57 PM

Bleedin hell that's long. I would certainly make it all a bit higher or it will look more like a dragster. Should be a most interesting project though. As far as wiring is concerned, I am using the engine loom and doing the rest from scratch. The roadster loom is so simple it just seems to make sense.
Enoch.

Eternal 25th June 2010 09:12 PM

yeah im worried about the hight i might have to add an extra inch i think any idea how high the zetec is from sump to top of cam cover? Humm wounder if its worth adding the hight to the scuttle and bonnet/nosecone or adding hight to the chassis....

Eternal 27th June 2010 09:56 AM

humm damn i really dont know about the size of this roadster think its going to look a bit crazy heh i know the normal ones are basicaly a +221 but with fitting the front extention its going to be a +821 so will be long and low i think the +1 on the hight would be good but only on the engine bay/scuttle so that would make it a +822 Idealy would like to +2 the width but thats a hole new can of worms..... Would have to rework all the sierra stuff and would be a complete ass.
But saying that a +842 would actualy look right. Anyone know how i can do this using the sierra stuff? Also the skyline gearbox has the starter on the drivers side and is wider so i think i will need the extra width to fit a pedal box and my feet!
My cash clears on Thu so i got a few days left of planning till i go nuts and order loads of stuff.

twinturbo 27th June 2010 12:36 PM

You want to avoid andy width change at the front, or you will have to find a new rack to avoid Bump and IVA fail..

TT

Eternal 27th June 2010 01:34 PM

Right to get what i want im just going to have to bite the bullet and just redesign the front chassis 194mm extra is just too long. But what i can do is keep the stock suspension bracket uprights so that will save a load of hastle. Tomorrow i will start i think and see what i can work out. Out of interest how hard is it to upgrade to the 7.5inch dif instead of the 7inch?