Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Announcements (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Stots Build Thread (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12492)

TheArf 15th September 2013 12:33 PM

Still going up another level with every installment

Arfon

Johno 15th September 2013 06:25 PM

That's going to be one very nice dash...:cool: :cool:
This build certainly raises the standards again and again.:)
Do you plan to fit the fly/aeroscreen before SVA and then change to full window screen afterwards if so are you going to fit wipers or just take it out on sunny days? I'm thinking about fitting a window screen after the test and what you have come up with is a damn good idea with the straight swap...;)

Stot 16th September 2013 09:28 AM

Cheers Arfon, Jonno. I have to say though I'm not spending nearly as long on the bits you dont normally see like you guys are.

Yeah my plan is to fit the flyscreen for IVA then I can add the windscreen at my leisure after that. I already have all the gear for the wipers. I managed to pick up a full wiper set from a Morris 1100 for £5 so it would have been silly not to. :D Saying that I wont be taking it out in the rain so it will be more for bug removal.

I didnt bother curving the bottom screen channel to fit the scuttle but you could. The jig to bend it would be more complicated though because of the weatherstrip channel along the bottom. I think I will make up some aluminium brackets that will hold the frame together from the back and fill that gap like the red bits below.

Cheers
Stot

jason 82 16th September 2013 02:46 PM

I can't afford to park my car up in the rain, it has got to be a daily use vehicle. I am just really lucky that my little mx5 came with an LSD. Should make winter driving a little easier. I have been looking into a custom wet gear set up, like the ones on the gbs zero, need a heater though, you can buy the crappy electric ones, but I prefer a proper one. Any ideas ?

Stot 16th September 2013 03:32 PM

I used my Jester as a year round vehicle and that had a fiesta heater in it but to be honest it didnt do much. Thick socks and a big jacket are the way to stay warm in these cars.

What you will need though is a demister. Im making a demister from an old 120mm computer water cooling radiator.

Ill make some simple ducting for it and plumb it in to the radiator lines. Its kind of the same lines as these.

Cheers
Stot

jason 82 16th September 2013 04:15 PM

Please don't finish your car for about another 6 months, you are way too handy ! Lol:D

Stot 16th September 2013 10:07 PM

I made an air filter adapter today to suit one of those ASH filters. I cut a 3mm plate to match the gasket with a groove in it to fit a 76mm pipe. Sat the pipe in the groove and welded it from the inside.

Worked out about £22 all in. :cool:

Cheers
Stot

Stot 18th September 2013 07:58 PM

Tried out my flyscreen today. Couple of issues. I have mounted it at the wrong angle slightly. I have some BRG gelcoat so I can repair the holes if they are not hidden by the brackets when its all fitted. Second I need to make the brackets slightly longer in the middle section so I can 'fold' them in to the bodywork a bit more.

I think I will remake them from 4mm or 5mm. Not sure whether to just make some cover plates for the corners or make a solid filler that I can put the seal strip into.

Ill probably end up trying both. :rolleyes:

Cheers
Stot

Stot 28th September 2013 05:13 PM

I have put the Air filter in position today and lengthened the air flow meter cable to reach.

Ill probably get an aluminum U bend to replace the rubber part so that it doesnt try and crush when it bends round. I have some sip ties holding it open at the moment.

I also carried on a little with my dashboard. Stuck the aluminium parts to the MDF and rounded the edges with a rasp. I added some extra MDF to the back at the bottom so I can radius round a bit.

Stot 28th September 2013 05:17 PM

I didn't add the aluminium to the bottom section so I could add some padding at the bottom. I used some mousemat material.

I test covered it. The final cover will have a stitch line going left to right to hide the transition from aluminum to mousemat, but to be honest you hardly notice it anyway.

Really want that laser cut piece now!

Cheers
Stot