Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General discussion (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Roadster Owners Club (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=4115)

HandyAndy 17th April 2010 10:00 PM

Roadster Owners Club

Hi all,

I have a suggestion to make............

Whilst reading the current issue of Complete Kit Car magazine ( reading it again as I like to glean as much info as possible :o ), something suddenly dawned upon me ........in the magazine there is a double page listing showing all known "Owners Clubs" giving contact info etc,

then I realised as I searched for the "Haynes Roadster" contact info that there isn,t such information available to folk who read this magazine ( & others within the Kit car world ).

We have this fantastic forum which is without doubt a huge help to all builders / possible future builders / people with an interest in the Roadster as well as being a focal point of the membership for all things "Roadster".

We have some fantastic suppliers, all offering products aimed at aiding the Roadster builder ....Saturn / Talon / 3GE & others ( me too :D ).

We have Roadster cars registered on the road, both via SVA & IVA, plus over 100 builds currently on the go.

We have an immense depth of knowledge thoughout the forum membership covering practically every aspect of building the Roadster.

The one thing we DON,T have is a "Roadster Owners Club"

So, excuse my ramblings :o

I propose that such an owners club be created, If Mr Gibbs is willing then i,d suggest that he be the Chairperson,
we would need a
Secretary ( admin )
Treasurer ( poss for a yearly subscription of membership to cover costs of admin etc, if the forum thinks this is needed)

My idea is just a suggestion & would welcome your thoughts, both positive & negative, but from small acorns grow big tree,s . I feel we should be able to let the various kit car magazines know that we excist etc.

So guys........what do YOU ALL think?

cheers
andy

twinturbo 17th April 2010 10:16 PM

was thinking similar last week.

Happy to help in whatever way I can.

But... Although I am a computer systems Manager/Engineer... Dont ask for a website cos I know Jack when it comes to that :)

TT

gingea1pom 17th April 2010 10:21 PM

Andy,

From the front row HERE HERE.

Fantastic Idea would love to help in any way, defiantly not volunteering for a job, I would not be able to give the club the continuity that is required (they keep sending me away!!)

We would be able to have a club polo shirt, AGM’s and membership numbers and everything (some of that is tongue in cheek)

Good idea.

Cheers Ginge

twinturbo 17th April 2010 10:29 PM

Well I am a member of 2 club and fund 2 forums . ( gave up on giving money to two clubs due to silly forum rulz)

The car is now taking of and the Lost club no longer seem to operate so there may well be an oportunity for a comunity club.

TT

twinturbo 17th April 2010 10:33 PM

we obviously can't use the haynes name without written permission.

TT

HandyAndy 17th April 2010 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinturbo (Post 36382)
we obviously can't use the haynes name without written permission.

TT

Thats why I suggested the "Roadster Owners Club" ;) :)

cheers
andy

Bonzo 17th April 2010 10:41 PM

Cool idea

Me being of the old school, would be more than willing to pay a modest subscription for membership of a Haynes Roadster Club. :D

I guess finding a person who has the time & resources to handle all of the admin involved will prove to be the sticking point .... My hand would be up like a shot but as some of you know, my health is a bit too unreliable for such a comitment :(

ChrisG did explain to me the reasons as to why the Locost club is closed to new subscriptions .... I am sure that he would be more than happy to be an honourary Chairperson/president, provided that no admin dutys are involved ;)

Love to see a club get off the ground though & fully agree with you Andy :)

gingea1pom 17th April 2010 10:45 PM

Might I suggest.

“The Roadster Builds Club”

I feel it is more akin to what we are, as ‘owning’ is only a small part of what we do and, it will set us apart from all the ‘owners’ clubs.

Kind of explains us as a club in the name.

Just my thoughts.

Cheers Ginge

HandyAndy 17th April 2010 10:53 PM

cheers for the input TT / Ginge / Ronnie..:cool:

without pushing myself to the front of the queue :o I would offer to act as the admin person,
but feel it would be better if the forum membership would offer their names to the post of secretary & treasurer & then the forum could vote ( via a secret vote ) & hey presto we will have a democratic way of filling the various positions needed to run the "Owners Club".

Before it gets argued with regard a subscription cost.... I,m speaking off the top of my head here & would suggest £5 per year & maybe we can from that supply a car sticker / quarterly newsletter ( I know we have the forum etc ) etc etc ...... just bouncing idea,s here ....

A good point raised by TT with regard using the "Haynes " name, maybe this permission would be given if asked for in the correct manner & to run alongside this forum etc....again, just making suggestions / idea,s etc.

cheers
andy

twinturbo 17th April 2010 11:08 PM

Happy to be technical advisor related to sierras :D , and could probably do treasury. Most clubs are running £15-£25 membership with a quaterly pamphlet or something. Perhaps a £10 in Y1 and see how we go.

For the clubs and forums I pay into ( probably £100 between 3 in the last year ) I don't get much to show, but for them it's about support..

If somone can research Merchandise, I could administer it...

The Profile of the HR seems to have jumped in the last few months and as a group we need to make every effort to capitolise on this and make the roadster a big player in the se7ern world.

TT

Bonzo 17th April 2010 11:16 PM

Personally I do not forsee Haynes having a problem with the name Haynes Roadster Club !!

After all that is the logo in the book & also the name designated for the Roadster.

Provided the club do not sully the Haynes brand I am sure they would willingly support the formation of such a club :)

Subscription may be a little low at £5 .... Admin costs can certainly add up quickly & it would be nice to fund a basic web domain dedicated to the club. :cool: :)

twinturbo 17th April 2010 11:20 PM

roc.org.uk is already taken....

HandyAndy 17th April 2010 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonzo (Post 36389)
Personally I do not forsee Haynes having a problem with the name Haynes Roadster Club !!

After all that is the logo in the book & also the name designated for the Roadster.

Provided the club do not sully the Haynes brand I am sure they would willingly support the formation of such a club :)

Subscription may be a little low at £5 .... Admin costs can certainly add up quickly & it would be nice to fund a basic web domain dedicated to the club. :cool: :)

I totally agree with you Ronnie, with regard the "Haynes" brand connection, but would need to contact Haynes themselves to confirm,

Also agree regarding a subscription fee, but thru this thread and the forum membership a figure could be agreed to .

I know just the man with regard the domain thingy......he,s on this forum & already has a related domain name, I just didn,t want to name him without his input on this thread :)

cheers
andy

twinturbo 17th April 2010 11:25 PM

haynesroadster.org.uk is available....

HandyAndy 17th April 2010 11:30 PM

nice work TT :cool:

if the other domain related name that i,ve mentioned above isn,t available then that one you suggest maybe the one to go for

cheers
andy

twinturbo 17th April 2010 11:37 PM

what is it?

I can check availability...

TT

twinturbo 17th April 2010 11:40 PM

p.s. about £6 for two years registration BTW.. Not sure on hosting costs as I only register domains for work or homw which have their own webservers.

TT

HandyAndy 17th April 2010 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinturbo (Post 36395)
what is it?

I can check availability...

TT

I don,t know the full name of the domain, but it belongs to a forum member who is active on here so i,m sure he,ll be along soon to give his input, sorry if that seems a little unhelpful, i,m just trying to be respectful to that forum member & give him the oppurtunity to comment on this thread.

cheers
andy

dogwood 18th April 2010 06:54 AM

I'm in......:D

Were's me T shirt and sticker????

Davey 18th April 2010 07:37 AM

Sounds like a plan guys, count me in but not for any committee posts please. My own website is hosted through a company called Streamline and I pay about £50 for two years, I've actually got several websites through them and in five years with them I've had no problems at all. http://www.streamline.net/

I'd suggest £10 a year for the subs as any less just isn't going to cover admin costs. It will help immensely if committee members are close geographically, We used to run a car club in the nineties and the committee was spread around quite a bit, Chairman in Sheffield, us in Telford, Treasurer in Cheshire, committee members in Bath, Leicester and Sunderland. It made committee meetings difficult to organise.

Personally I don't think there is any need for a paper newsletter, we're all here on the interwebby thing so it could be done as a pdf file and sent out by e-mail. If no-one else steps up for the job I'll put my hand up for newsletter editor as I've done this sort of stuff before. My son can design websites and we can handle regular updates if the material comes in from other members.

D.

HandyAndy 18th April 2010 09:40 AM

Ginge............. A good suggestion regarding the club name , maybe if we get permission from Haynes to use the brand name maybe we could call it "Haynes Roadster Builders Club"....

Davey..... also some good points raised, PDF files etc .........

lets get a few more members input then maybe we can put together a list of possible club names & a list of members wishing to be involved in the running of it & then the forum membership can cast votes via a thread poll.

Now where is that forum member that has a related domain name at the ready ???? :D :D

thanks for the input guys....

cheers
andy

twinturbo 18th April 2010 09:48 AM

The only problem I forsee is "theclub" wanting a forum it can control.

Funding the club could be helped with advertising revenue, but a none forum website is unlikly to generate huge traffic and click revenue.

I could host a website for nowt, althought my upstream bandwidth is limited. Saves the cost of hosting until the club grows. But don't ask me to design a site ;) . For anyone thinking of doing the design I run a LAMP system. If somoen can make sense of Joomla Sections and Catagories then it's a quick way to a usefull site ( my www.claytune.org.uk site shows the functions and my lack of webskill )

TT

Eternal 18th April 2010 09:56 AM

Sounds good to me! I would be happy to pay a membership as long as its not stupid money! Like twinturbo said only problem i can see is the forum control issue. I still think it would be a great idea to have a Build directory on this forum and loads seem to agree but nothing done maby i should chase that up a bit lol

HandyAndy 18th April 2010 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinturbo (Post 36410)
The only problem I forsee is "theclub" wanting a forum it can control.

TT

I understand your thoughts TT, but this where we can be unique, we already have a fantastic forum hosted by Haynes........

My suggestion for a "Club" is to generate awareness to folk who haven,t found this forum, not to rival it......
Just so we can have contact info etc alongside all other known "Owners clubs" in national & international publications, as the more awareness of this forum & the Haynes concept of building a sports car can hopefully generate more builders & in the long run be better for the "Marque".

cheers
andy

twinturbo 18th April 2010 10:10 AM

There is lots we can have on a site mind.

Cherry picking forum articles and formating them to suite.

TT

flyerncle 18th April 2010 10:11 AM

Sorry for late input,fitting bathroom rather than building car.

Ace idea Andy I am all for it.

twinturbo 18th April 2010 10:12 AM

So...

Who want's to aproach Chirs, I think he would be best placed to speek with Haynes regards usage of the name and logo.

I guess we can help them by backlinking to their online store.

TT

twinturbo 18th April 2010 10:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quick Logo.....

AshG 18th April 2010 10:58 AM

tt i registered loads of the possibe domain names last year from memory i think roc is one of them. So that part is already done. Chris andy and i had this discussion at stoneleigh last year.

gingea1pom 18th April 2010 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinturbo (Post 36417)
Quick Logo.....

TT,

YES YES.

As I have mentioned before I think the BUILD aspect is the important bit.

Nice one.

I have saved it and can make my own club of one now!:D

Cheers Ginge

HandyAndy 18th April 2010 11:34 AM

great logo TT,

If all are ok with this I,ll approach Chris & Ash at stoneleigh to see if we can take this whole idea forward,

is everyone ok with me taking this forward?

cheers
andy

GraemeWebb 18th April 2010 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HandyAndy (Post 36420)
great logo TT,

If all are ok with this I,ll approach Chris & Ash at stoneleigh to see if we can take this whole idea forward,

cheers
andy

Go for it. You have my backing. See you at the show.

HandyAndy 18th April 2010 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GraemeWebb (Post 36421)
Go for it. You have my backing. See you at the show.

thanks Graeme.

cheers
andy

gingea1pom 18th April 2010 12:21 PM

Andy,

We can all have a chat at Stoneleigh over a brew/beer.:D

Cheers Ginge

twinturbo 18th April 2010 12:27 PM

Quote:

great logo TT,

cheers
andy

5 mins and a program called "GIMP" :)

yep go ahead Andy

On the website we should have an open section and a members only section with all the juicy good bits :) . People can still find most of the information on the forum but the effort taken to collate and organise it will be worth paying £10 for.

We may have an easierer ride organising group buys as well as a club, and organising discounts from an affiliated insurance broker.

TT

HandyAndy 18th April 2010 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gingea1pom (Post 36424)
Andy,

We can all have a chat at Stoneleigh over a brew/beer.

Cheers Ginge

or like last year.............a beer with a jack daniels chaser :eek: :D
ouch...sore head the next morning :D

Yes, totally agree Ginge, there will be so many forum members at stoneleigh it,ll be great to "bounce" the idea of the club amongst us all :)

TT........yes, we could have club merchandise / discounts / insurance etc / Trackdays etc etc .

great suggestions , keep em coming.

cheers
andy

Bonzo 18th April 2010 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HandyAndy (Post 36412)
We already have a fantastic forum hosted by Haynes........

My suggestion for a "Club" is to generate awareness to folk who haven,t found this forum, not to rival it......
Just so we can have contact info etc alongside all other known "Owners clubs" in national & international publications, as the more awareness of this forum & the Haynes concept of building a sports car can hopefully generate more builders & in the long run be better for the "Marque".

cheers
andy

Agreed :)

I for one am happy with this forum as it is .... A first class resource for the Roadster builder :cool:

100% behind the idea of forming a Roadster Builders club though .... When do you want my subs in :D :D

Jimmyd 18th April 2010 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonzo (Post 36428)
Agreed :)

I for one am happy with this forum as it is .... A first class resource for the Roadster builder :cool:

100% behind the idea of forming a Roadster Builders club though .... When do you want my subs in :D :D

Here here Ronnie.

J

adrianreeve 18th April 2010 02:19 PM

Great idea Andy, count me in! Won't be at Stoneleigh though, so I'll just go along with whatever you decide.

Cheers

Adrian

Land Locked 18th April 2010 03:56 PM

Quote:

great logo TT,

cheers
andy

Just do it, BUT don't forget to allow for us furiners, we also wanna be able to join!