Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Donor cars (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   doner needed (yorkshire) (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2637)

andyuk697 25th September 2009 05:48 PM

oh right so if i get a cheap type 9 gear box from one car an engine from another diff from another it wont matter?
do i just need a full car if im going for the age related plates from the car?
will it cause problems with the sva?
its all very confusing at first lol

Andy

HandyAndy 25th September 2009 05:54 PM

basically thats correct, as long as the parts are interchangeable then you can source from where ever for each part, it just means that as you can,t PROVE which car your component parts came from originally you WILL get a Q plate upon registration, some people think this is a bonus too.
tho it may help when you have your IVA test to be able to prove the year of manufacture of the engine so that the emissions test can be carried out to the rules of which year the engine is applied to, you can gain the info on the age of the engine from the engine number & contact Ford or someone like Burton power etc.
hope that helps a little.
cheers
andy

andyuk697 25th September 2009 07:20 PM

thanks guys all info helps and it also helps others who read too

i spend hours reading through threads on here and find loads my head is swelling with knowledge lol

another question though should i stay away from later reg cars like 1990 1991 92 93 or can they be good for everything but the gearbox as i believe the type 9 was stopped being used in 1988 but i do i see pinto's in later years? will they be on mt75 box's?
can you fit a type 9 box on a dohc?

cheers Andy

HandyAndy 25th September 2009 07:50 PM

not sure where you got your info from but the later cars don,t all have the MT75 gearbox, tho my donor was a 1990 & had a 1.8cvh with a type 9 box so all good for the build.

cheers
andy

andyuk697 25th September 2009 08:28 PM

hi andy it was off www.zetecinside.com gearbox guide it says ....

The Type 9 was Fords first RWD five speed box, and based on the Type E. This gearbox is commonly used for 5 speed conversions on older vehicles. Some later versions were available with integral bellhousings, although they are more commonly found with removable bellhousings. A 4wd version of this box was also available for the early XR4x4 models. Power rating: Approx 200BHP

Fitted in:
Capri 1.6/2.0 02/83 on
Capri 2.8 11/82 on
Sierra 1.6/1.8/2.0 to 12/88
Sierra XR4i
Sierra XR4x4 2.8

im :confused:

Andy

Bonzo 25th September 2009 09:02 PM

I have owned, serviced & repaired many Sierras ( Both Own cars & customer ones )

I have never seen a MT75 box in anything other than the 2 Litre DOHC engined Sierra.

I do know that the last hadfull of petrol Sierras had either the 2L DOHC engine or a revised 1.6 CVH engine
These changes took place in late 91

Perhaps the dates given on the Zetec inside forum refer to the dates that the earlier, 4 speed, type 9 gearbox was last used.

Odds on, if you find a donor that is not a DOHC model, it'll have a type 9 gearbox.

I hope this is of some help :)

EDIT

My first donor was a 1991 1.8 CVH estate & was fitted with a type 9, 5 speed gearbox ;)

andyuk697 30th September 2009 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonzo (Post 22218)
I have owned, serviced & repaired many Sierras ( Both Own cars & customer ones )

I have never seen a MT75 box in anything other than the 2 Litre DOHC engined Sierra.

I do know that the last hadfull of petrol Sierras had either the 2L DOHC engine or a revised 1.6 CVH engine
These changes took place in late 91

Perhaps the dates given on the Zetec inside forum refer to the dates that the earlier, 4 speed, type 9 gearbox was last used.

Odds on, if you find a donor that is not a DOHC model, it'll have a type 9 gearbox.

I hope this is of some help :)

EDIT

My first donor was a 1991 1.8 CVH estate & was fitted with a type 9, 5 speed gearbox ;)

some good news ive got a doner its a 91 k reg 1.8cvh im picking it up on sat so fingers x'd all will be good :D

Andy

HandyAndy 30th September 2009 09:33 PM

nice one Andy,
is the donor a runner? taxed? tested?

my donor was also the 1.8cvh.

good luck with it.

andy (handy)
ps .... there are too many Andy,s about this forum :D

andyuk697 30th September 2009 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HandyAndy (Post 22527)
nice one Andy,
is the donor a runner? taxed? tested?

my donor was also the 1.8cvh.

good luck with it.

andy (handy)
ps .... there are too many Andy,s about this forum :D

hi andy yeh its a runner its just out of tax and test tho so wont be able to give it much of a test drive

just finished the main part of the chassis i will be starting the rear next need another lenth of 25x25 tho and some round tube which i didnt order

Andy

HandyAndy 30th September 2009 10:14 PM

chassis almost done, donor on its way :cool:
you,ll have your chassis rolling in no time;)

if you are having a GRP rear tub you don,t need the round tube for the rear chassis frame, depends on what your plans are for bodywork tho.

good luck with the donor, a little tip..... undo the hub nuts on the rear wheels whilst the car is still on 4 wheels. ;)

cheers
andy