Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Announcements (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Stots Build Thread (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12492)

Stot 2nd July 2013 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTWV50 (Post 91437)
I think you have a little army of elves helping you out at the rate this build is coming along.:) Where did you get you bodywork from? And how much was it? Not really an option for me but I am curious.

Just me! (and my wife sometimes).

Its an Equinox bodykit, £795. I figured that once I had purchased the nose/scuttle/wings and the aluminum and then went through the process of painting it how I wanted I wouldn't be far off that cost for the bodywork.

It does have its own inherent issues. The side panels for example because they are pre-formed don't conform to the variations in my chassis rails, so I have a little packing to do on it to fit it right.

Cheers
Stot

Stot 3rd July 2013 10:25 PM

The elves have been busy again..

Got the brake lines all in position. Just need to be clipped down now.

Next job is to paint the roll bar and the rest of the wishbones and get it back on its wheels!

Cheers
Stot

Stot 6th July 2013 07:18 PM

Busy day.

I got my brake lines secured in place.

I got the rest of my bits painted, including the rollbar.

And I got all my carpet pieces cut to size.

My build is not A-B-C more A-R-L-C but I figure that if I cant do the 'next' step in the build I may as well do 'a' step in the build rather than sit around.

Cheers
Stot

Stot 7th July 2013 07:19 PM

Had a bbq with my family today and my dad kindly brought along his sewing machine so I can add some edging to areas of my carpet like down the trans tunnel and the top of the seat back.

I had a few practice runs to figure out the best way to do the edging.

Think I have a winner.

Cheers
Stot

Talonmotorsport 8th July 2013 08:08 AM

Unless I have missed the part where you said what the carpet was I would be using Marine carpet, otherwise it will start rotting and stinking from the first time it gets wet and it will get wet.

Stot 8th July 2013 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talonmotorsport (Post 91532)
Unless I have missed the part where you said what the carpet was I would be using Marine carpet, otherwise it will start rotting and stinking from the first time it gets wet and it will get wet.

You're right Phil I didnt say but it is a rot proof carpet from these guys. Not the cheapest stuff but nice and should last some years.

Cheers
Stot

Not Anumber 8th July 2013 10:04 AM

do you use any backing or underlay or glue the carpet directly to the metal ?

Stot 8th July 2013 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Not Anumber (Post 91537)
do you use any backing or underlay or glue the carpet directly to the metal ?

I will be glueing direct to the metal on this one with a spray upholstery glue.

The edges of the trans tunnel will be trimmed with the leather and then use press studs to attach to the trans top so I can remove it easilly if I need access to the tunnel.

I used a felt underlay in my Jester but dont think I needed it, or need it for this car. If I were building a Cobra or the like I would felt for sure to give that extra plush feel.

Cheers
Stot

Stot 9th July 2013 09:42 PM

Had more of a play with the sewing machine today.

I'm going to cover my interior side panels with leather and have a pelmet coming off the top of it over the top of the side panels to finish them.

Really happy with how the test went, the finished item should look smart. :cool:

Cheers
Stot

jason 82 10th July 2013 06:20 AM

Most people have horse power stot ! Not cow power. Anything to be different. :D that is one tidy bit of upholstery there, come on then, when are you opening the one stop stot shop ? Selling locost badges, to upholstery ! Seriously, well done son, that is going to be a car worthy of a magazine front cover. :p