Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Announcements (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Stots Build Thread (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12492)

Stot 20th March 2013 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ayjay (Post 89143)
Looks good:)

Is it Metallic BRG?

No just standard RAL6005. Gelcoat with a good polish on it can give a really deep colour. :cool:

Cheers
Stot

alga 20th March 2013 08:16 PM

Colour code KAR120C :)

Stot 21st March 2013 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alga (Post 89145)
Colour code KAR120C :)

Well, its got to look right next to this in the garage.

Cheers
Stot

Not Anumber 21st March 2013 08:25 AM

Let me know how you get on with the clamshell wings, ive been thinking of moving over to them.

Stot 21st March 2013 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Not Anumber (Post 89148)
Let me know how you get on with the clamshell wings, ive been thinking of moving over to them.

Will do.

Dave said he doesnt know how they fit exactly as he has only sold one other set of them.

They need a bracket fabricating about 2/3 of the way up as well as bolting to the sides so Ill probably weld in a 3mm strip to the chassis so that they are bolting into metal rather than just onto the GRP sides.

Cheers
Stot

Not Anumber 22nd March 2013 07:52 PM

Amazing pace on your build and its always great to see use of the traditional colours and styling.

Stot 22nd March 2013 09:18 PM

Thanks! I think i'm lucky enough to have a lot of the tools I need to save a lot of time on it so far.

I'm looking at the dash at the moment. I was thinking of some classic Smiths dials or something like that but its cable drive and 1024 revs per mile so not all that common, and besides I have a perfectly good dash from the MX5 and there's a guy on MX5Nutz who does custom dials. Only problem is the shape of the instrument cluster doesn't flow nicely, but it does upside down so I'm currently designing some dials.

I'm going to have bezeled bulbs/leds for the warning lights.

Moving the position of the needles is easy, major problem is the odometer would be upside down. So I took it out and flipped it over. Just had to fettle the back a bit to allow it to fit.

And while i was there I zeroed the odometer.

Only initial problem is I don't have a way of resetting the trip meter a the moment because the reset button would be where the indicator tell tale is.

Not the end of the world, I could do without a trip meter.

I should note. That last photo is just me playing with paper dials, not the finished items!

Cheers
Stot

Johno 24th March 2013 06:45 AM

That's dammed impressive :cool:
I think the layout of the Mx5 suits the car well.
Look forward to more photos.

Stot 24th March 2013 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johno (Post 89217)
That's dammed impressive :cool:
I think the layout of the Mx5 suits the car well.
Look forward to more photos.

Cheers, It looks to fit real nice.

I have refined my design a bit as I realised I have a 140mph speedo and I have included KM/H on the speedo for DVLA registration.

Need to check I have all the required tell tale lights, these are all the ones that are currently on the dash so should be ok.

Cheers
Stot

flyerncle 24th March 2013 11:06 AM

There has been a lot of changes to the MOT as of last week so I would think we will see a change to IVA manual as well.