Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Chassis (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Painting is the worst thing... (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12377)

BenBrooks 6th January 2013 04:01 PM

Painting is the worst thing...

Finally have finished painting the chassis and wishbones, probably the worst experience, i really dont like painting but at least its done now.

Some pics:

remind me to get everything powder coated next time..

Ben

Bonzo 6th January 2013 04:13 PM

I hate painting too

It was definitely the lowest point of my build.

A time consuming & thankless task if you are not the kind of person who enjoys painting.

If I had to do another chassis it would certainly go off for powder coating. :)

At least you have that part of the build over with, now you can get onto the fun bit of final assembly. :cool: :)

BenBrooks 6th January 2013 04:15 PM

yeah, it feels very strange putting my welder, angle grinder and hacksaw away for the last time but brakes and floor next then engine in!

Ben

rpjg1975 6th January 2013 04:31 PM

I feel your pain. Remember the finger cramp well. Hopefully u Didn't miss any.....I remember every time I turned round I spotted a side that I had missed! :mad:

Talonmotorsport 6th January 2013 04:40 PM

You think doing it with a brush is a ball ache you should try spraying one, I think I got more buff coloured etch primer and 2k gloss black over my arms than on the chassis.
I've had some great fun painting chassis one that sticks out in my mind was an Exo super trike chassis that I did a few years ago for Rayvolution cars. Silly bugger here walked in to it 10 mins after the final coat was put on a day before it was due to be at the Stafford show.

Bonzo 6th January 2013 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talonmotorsport (Post 87665)
You think doing it with a brush is a ball ache you should try spraying one, I think I got more buff coloured etch primer and 2k gloss black over my arms than on the chassis.

You are not wrong there :eek:

Wastes an awful lot of paint too.
I used to have access to some electro static spray gear for that kind of job but as ever, costs an absolute fortune for the kit. :(

BenBrooks 6th January 2013 05:11 PM

that makes me feel better.

i kept thinking as i was doing it this would be so much easier to spray but maybe not. trouble is, the paint kept smearing off when i went over it.

Talonmotorsport 6th January 2013 05:21 PM

What primer and top coat did you use if it smeared off?

Tatey 6th January 2013 05:27 PM

I found for the chassis the best way to paint it was to use a roller, massively reduced the time to paint it and then you go over the corners with a brush, gives a nice finish as well.

BenBrooks 6th January 2013 05:27 PM

I did two coats of epoxy mastic 121 then light sand and just a two pack polyurethane on top which is the black. it would go on and then as i brushed over it again it would just wipe all the paint off so was a pain in the neck and took a lot of paint to do it