Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Announcements (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   My progress (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=4116)

Bonzo 17th April 2010 10:05 PM

My progress

The sun is shining & my workshop has at last been warm enough for me to be out there working on my build.

Over the last few weeks, I have managed to get some serious time in on my build.

Engine & box all given a good clean, light overhaul & a nice lick of paint .... Now put to one side, under cover all ready for the grand fitting party.

Completed & painted the new engine mounts .... Not as good as Ginge's but will do the job nicely.

Overhauled my ebay steering rack, fitted new gaitors & a nice lick of paint .... Sorely tempted to buy a new one but would have been a bit daft to replace a still good, serviceable rack.

Overhauled my push in driveshafts. Good clean up, repack the CV joints with grease, fitted new CV boots & a good lick of paint.
Reluctantly I gave in to temptation and decided to try some of those new fangled stretchy, stretchy boots.
I was half expecting them to be as useless as the glue together wonder boots.

For once I had a nice surprise, they are the Ronseal of CV boots & does what it says on the tin :D
Took next to no time to fit them .... Well pleased.
The 4 boots & the plastic fitting cone cost me £27.30 delivered
A fraction of the time & cost of fitting original Ford CV boot kits ;)

I have fitted the Golf GTI radiator that I got from the breakers .... Big thanks to Gus for some inspiration at a time I had some brain freeze :o

Once I knew the Rad was fine I ordered a new one, this has arrived & is now fitted.
Had a quick trip to the breakers to find a suitable electric fan .... Found the ideal fan on a Citroen Xsara, only a very tiny mod to make on the fixing poits & now fits like a glove.

Result at the breakers .... Cooling fan & a pair of seat runners, £5 Bargain

My Two pack Epoxy arrived this morning so it will be all go on the wishbones & uprights next week.

Weighed in another load of scrap & collected another sheet of alloy ( Hopefuly the last ) Fook me, that has gone up some !!??
8" X 4" sheet of 1.2mm half hard £47.50

Keep looking at the things on my to do list .

Pedal box " Don't fancy doing that at the moment " ( It'll go tits up if not in the mood )

Side panels " Don't fancy doing them at the moment " ( It'll go tits up if not in the mood )

Diff, all cleaned up ages ago but still not painted !!??

So chaps, I have been having a real crack at the build & have enjoyed every moment .

In true me style .... The things done have taken ages to do but I am at least thankfull that I have the energy to do them.

Also in true me style .... I go to bed with the next day all worked out .... Once in the workshop, I do something completely different :D

Well that's it for now folks.

HandyAndy 17th April 2010 10:11 PM

Nice one Ronnie :cool:

You,ll soon be driving the Roadster ( erm testing it ) on that "private" lane of yours ;)

Its great to hear that you are making great progress......if you feel the need to do even more ......i,ll supply B&B and you can come and do mine :D

lets have some piccies please :cool:

cheers
andy

Bonzo 17th April 2010 10:23 PM

Cheers Andy

I'll get some photos up once I have the chassis rolling again, that'll be in the not too distant future ;)

As usual .... I have turned the workshop into a pig sty once more :o

The pictures will look well cool, outside in the sunshine :D

Forgot to mention .... I also altered the steering column support so as I dont have to take a big notch out of the scuttle :eek:

gingea1pom 17th April 2010 10:26 PM

Ronnie,

Some real progress there.

May I ask what car your seat runners are from and is the fan a push or pull (does it fit to the front or back of the Rad)?

Pictures, pictures, pictures.

Cheers Ginge

Bonzo 17th April 2010 11:02 PM

The cooling fan was a front mounted unit & pushes the airflow into the rad .... All sits under the nosecone a real treat.

It was mouted to the original car via 4 strong wire/round bar arms .... Near as dam it, the same spacing as my new rad.
Sliced a few mm off & welded 4 flat tabs on them this allowed fitment to the mounting points on the new rad ;)

The seat runners were found on a Renault Scenic .... Middle rear seat ( The small one ) only abot 400mm wide.
There are clips on the front hinges to allow easy seat removal ..... The tricky bit is getting to the runner fixings.
I prised the uphostery clips out & removed the lower seat squabs, access to the 6 allen bolts was then simple.
Just as well my local breaker is not too fussed about collateral dammage cos it fubared the seats :D

The only downside is, you'll need to find Two cars though as there is only One in each car .... Although to be honest, I didn't look at the runners of the other seats in the car, they too may be suitable !! ;)

I'll take some pictures of the cooling fan & seat runners tomorrow mate :)

dogwood 18th April 2010 06:28 AM

Glad ya build is going well for ya.
Surprising how a bit of sun puts a whole different aspect on things.
It's 7:30 here the sun is shining, and I'm up a ready to go.
In the winter I could barly drag my sorry ar*e out of bed before 9:00:eek:

Bonzo 18th April 2010 08:03 AM

Couldn't agree with you more David :)

Been up at 6 am most days & dagging to get out there :D

Hopefully this weather will last a few days longer so as I can hang all the wishbones & uprights on the washing line

Much nicer to work al fresco :cool:

Sun is beating down again today, got a couple of quick bits of welding to do .... I'll not be in any rush to don a boiler suit though .... T shirt for me today :D

dogwood 18th April 2010 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonzo (Post 36404)
Sun is beating down again today, got a couple of quick bits of welding to do .... I'll not be in any rush to don a boiler suit though .... T shirt for me today :D

Watch them rays though........:rolleyes:

twinturbo 18th April 2010 03:31 PM

Quote:

The only downside is, you'll need to find Two cars though as there is only One in each car .... Although to be honest, I didn't look at the runners of the other seats in the car, they too may be suitable !! ;)

I'll take some pictures of the cooling fan & seat runners tomorrow mate :)
Err... The passenger does not need adjustment. they have no pedals.

TT

twinturbo 18th April 2010 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dogwood (Post 36431)
Watch them rays though........:rolleyes:

Yeah.... Whilst standing at saturn last week I was burning, as was the wife. Kids had Factor 8000000 on... So why am I building an opentop sports car???

TT