Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Announcements (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Hard Top (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=14125)

K4KEV 21st September 2017 10:30 AM

Hard Top

I'm thinking about trying to make a mould for a hard top would anyone be interested in purchasing if hard tops were made well?

Ricky 22nd September 2017 07:33 AM

I would but I'm half way around the world but would be nice to see one and some pics would be nice :D

chris_smith 22nd September 2017 08:00 PM

Hard top would be great but I think they only work if you have a full screen, which I'm not having, plus I have a full cage so it wouldn't be a fit

But yes I like the idea

The V8 Files 22nd September 2017 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K4KEV (Post 105686)
I'm thinking about trying to make a mould for a hard top would anyone be interested in purchasing if hard tops were made well?

I think a removable hard top would be a great addition to the roadster. Not necessarily a quick release thing but more like a winter top even if it means a a few hours to change over and a removable screen as well. Open for the summer and closed for the winter.

Cropper 22nd September 2017 11:08 PM

It would be an interesting addition, need to see some ideas first

PorkChop 23rd September 2017 01:10 AM

Kev, are you making one for yourself regardless of if anyone wants one or not or are you hoping to make a few quid?

If you're in any way leaning towards the latter rather than the former, I suggest you don't bother. You'll need something that will fit all major suppliers' scuttles and probably supply the windscreen (or at the very least specify an easily available option).

You see it all the time with fastback hardtops for MX-5s - everyone wants one until cost / importing comes into it (you can import them from Japan / USA at a cost of a few grand, Autokonexion's is almost $2000 just for the part). And that's for a production car.

Look at it this way, do Westfield / Caterham offer a hard top? If they could make it worthwhile then you can be sure they would have (Donkervoort have been in production with a hardtop on their D8 GT, so it's not a new concept).

K4KEV 23rd September 2017 10:54 AM

A bit of both PC ......if it pays for itself I will be happy if there is a few quid in it then that's a bonus, and yes I will probably be making it anyway, but just wanted some feedback on the concept.

Ianr 23rd September 2017 05:35 PM

I would be interested but think that my screen and roll bar arrangement would make it a difficult fit. Looking forward to see what you make :)

voucht 23rd September 2017 07:22 PM

HI Kev,
That's a good idea. But I'm wondering how you plan to get in and out the car with a hard top on?
Cheers.

rpjg1975 23rd September 2017 11:07 PM

I can see Kev now doing it a la dukes of hazzard :D