Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Donor cars (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Best Donor car for a haynes 4x4 4wd car (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1928)

DaveW 10th May 2009 08:38 AM

Best Donor car for a haynes 4x4 4wd car

Can you help on this one

Best Donor car for a haynes 4x4 4wd car

Best regards David

Bonzo 10th May 2009 08:57 AM

That would be a hard one to do.

A 4X4 would require a complete re-design of most of the front end. :eek:

The Sierra XR4 would seem an obvious choice although i don't think you will overcome the sump clearance issue.

That would leave the Subaru & Audi options ;)

aaronbassett 10th May 2009 08:57 AM

sierria 4x4 if you can make every thing fit

Chris Gibbs 10th May 2009 12:44 PM

Google "Dax Quadra", this was a Sierra 4 x 4 based car.

The problem with the system is that the transfer box on the gearbox for the front prop/differential is on the drivers side of the gearbox and therefore takes up space in the drivers footwell.

There's also a 4 x 4 Locost, try a search on the Locostbuilders forum.

Cheers

Chris :)

AshG 10th May 2009 04:59 PM

my question to all is why would you want a 4x4 roadster?

im building a roadster because i wanted a small fast rwd car. why? because they are more fun that way!

i dont think its impossible to do and i would be very interested to see how someone goes about it. i just can't see the major advantage on such a small light car compared to all the extra weight and the time/effort put into developing it.

you never know one day they may start off roading roadsters then it will be a great idea :D

fabbyglass 10th May 2009 07:29 PM

RWD much better and a lot more fun especially in the wet:D

I have my own section of "hillclimb" on the way to grp suppliers so drive it like a complete knob but boy is it fun and a damn fine way of relieving stress..I arrive with a smile everytime:p

Bonzo 10th May 2009 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fabbyglass (Post 14317)
RWD much better and a lot more fun especially in the wet:D

I have my own section of "hillclimb" on the way to grp suppliers so drive it like a complete knob but boy is it fun and a damn fine way of relieving stress..I arrive with a smile everytime:p

A lovely bit of road Mark ;)

Lets hope we never meet when I am driving like a bell end :eek:

DaveW 11th May 2009 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AshG (Post 14303)
my question to all is why would you want a 4x4 roadster?

im building a roadster because i wanted a small fast rwd car. why? because they are more fun that way!

i dont think its impossible to do and i would be very interested to see how someone goes about it. i just can't see the major advantage on such a small light car compared to all the extra weight and the time/effort put into developing it.

you never know one day they may start off roading roadsters then it will be a great idea :D

200 km daily to my Works

chrisunwin 4th November 2009 08:21 PM

Dave

I have pondered the 4X4 option, the only way I can see to do it is to use the engine and box from a front wheel drive car, turn the whole lot through 90deg, then mate the drive shafts to dfis front and rear. BIG problem is that the diffs will need a 1 to 1 ratio. Good luck finding them.

Regards

Chris

londonsean69 4th November 2009 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisunwin (Post 24435)
Dave

I have pondered the 4X4 option, the only way I can see to do it is to use the engine and box from a front wheel drive car, turn the whole lot through 90deg, then mate the drive shafts to dfis front and rear. BIG problem is that the diffs will need a 1 to 1 ratio. Good luck finding them.

Regards

Chris

You have confused the hell out of me there. Why would you need a second gearbox? Just use 4x4 running gear from, oh lets see, a Sierra 4x4??

I asked this question some time ago on the LB forum, and whilst it can be done (and has been - although not a Haynes) it is a lot of work, involving inboard shocks to avoid front driveshafts etc.

Link to LB discussion on 4x4 locost/haynes