Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Chassis (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Chassis on ebay (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12421)

TSM Locost 21st January 2013 12:58 PM

Chassis on ebay

Ford based chassis professionally welded ? Item number:190786655057

sparkybagnall 21st January 2013 04:23 PM

What would you value a second hand chassis at I'm thinking of bidding on it to get me started

Talonmotorsport 21st January 2013 04:42 PM

Not much more than £150-200 they don't tend to go for much.

beardydave 28th February 2013 10:11 AM

Well, that winner was me.

I now need to work out how to fit the massive BMW diff to the rear of that car, mod the back end to take the long range fuel tank I want for the thirsty Saab turbo and tidy up some of the suspect "professional" welding. And work out just which wishbones and uprights i'm going to use.

Leaning towards fabricated front and rear uprights to use the Saab 9000 bolt-on front hubs both front and rear, using Sierra geometry with some of the Saturn adaptations for more adjustability.

Some of the welds are quite good, but I can see at least 3 people have done welding on it already from the different styles.

Still a bargin at that price though.

SeriesLandy 28th February 2013 12:49 PM

Hi Dave, welcome to the forum. I've just seen where you are, nice and close!

robo 15th March 2013 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beardydave (Post 88786)
Well, that winner was me.

I now need to work out how to fit the massive BMW diff to the rear of that car, mod the back end to take the long range fuel tank I want for the thirsty Saab turbo and tidy up some of the suspect "professional" welding. And work out just which wishbones and uprights i'm going to use.

Leaning towards fabricated front and rear uprights to use the Saab 9000 bolt-on front hubs both front and rear, using Sierra geometry with some of the Saturn adaptations for more adjustability.

Some of the welds are quite good, but I can see at least 3 people have done welding on it already from the different styles.

Still a bargin at that price though.

We are currently mashing a large case beemer diff into a roadster chassis, will post up some progress pics soon.

Bob

beardydave 18th March 2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robo (Post 89061)
We are currently mashing a large case beemer diff into a roadster chassis, will post up some progress pics soon.

Bob

Well, i've drawn up my large case e38 750 diff, and it will fit in the roadster chassis with snug ease when the ride height is planned for 75mm or higher.

I'm knocking up the designs for the front and rear mounting brackets on CAD now, and as soon as i've got my chassis in the garage i'll be trial fitting it all.

CAD pic below.

Fits nicely at the back end with enough space on top for an L-shaped bracket to hang the diff from.

2mm is a maybe a bit more than snug...
That rail may have to be moved.

The V8 Files 18th March 2013 02:18 PM

I'm looking at using my e38 730 diff also so will be well interested in this :D

beardydave 18th March 2013 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The V8 Files (Post 89100)
I'm looking at using my e38 730 diff also so will be well interested in this :D

The 730 diff is a medium case diff i believe, only the V8 and V12 had the large.

If you measure up the mounting hole positions i'll tell you if they match the ones on my diff. If they do i'll send you the drawings for the mounting brackets once i've had a chance to proove them on my car.