Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Announcements (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Stots Build Thread (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12492)

Stot 8th February 2013 10:38 PM

Stots Build Thread

Been lurking a while but I have some photos so figured I should do a build thread.

I build a Sylva Jester pre SVA and have missed owning a kit car so thought the Haynes Roadster would fit the bill, so I set about finding a donor and bought a flat pack.

I'm going for a very classic looking build, KAR120C style so no carbon or digital gauges etc.

Hopefully the car will compliment my Royal Enfield Bullet.

On with the pics.

Got My Donor as it failed MOT for rust. 115000 miles and drives fine.

Spent a weekend stripping out the interior and engine bay and then lifted the shell off the following weekend.

Knackering work...

Stot 8th February 2013 10:40 PM

Striped the subframes, PPF and engine and chained the engine up for a few nights.

Subframes and shell are going to Phil at Talon so he can use them to jig up his new project. Phil is doing me the wishbones in return. Bonus!

Spent a few days striping the hubs and uprights. I have a sand blaster so I striped it all down and painted them up in smooth black and hammered green.

Amazing how much crap accumulates on these parts.

I have all the front running gear painted now and starting the rear parts this weekend.

Cheers
Stot

ayjay 8th February 2013 11:19 PM

Hi Stot

Looks like a good start--Very satisfying to turn cruddy old parts into lovely shiny ones:) :)

Talonmotorsport 9th February 2013 12:38 AM

Makes a change to get a clean collection for once, I usually pull my projects and donor cars from 4" of liquid mud or it's up side down in a ditch covered in 'police aware' stickers.

K4KEV 9th February 2013 01:29 AM

strong solid progress there bud.... keep it up, nice to see another build take shape.

Stot 9th February 2013 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talonmotorsport (Post 88435)
Makes a change to get a clean collection for once, I usually pull my projects and donor cars from 4" of liquid mud or it's up side down in a ditch covered in 'police aware' stickers.

I could arrange that if it makes you more comfortable. ;)

Cheers
Stot

Dualist 9th February 2013 10:39 AM

That's a great start mate, loving the pics :)

Stot 16th February 2013 06:30 PM

I reamed the uprights today. Glad I have a lathe or this would have taken hours!

Stot 16th February 2013 06:31 PM

I also got some more welding done on my chassis before I ran out of gas. :rolleyes:

Its not far off. Transmission tunnel and suspension brackets mainly.

Cheers
Stot

Eternal 16th February 2013 06:36 PM

Nice work! All looking very smart cant wait to see more :)

Oh don't suppose you have the plug that goes to the fuel sender spare? If so let me know as I'm trying to find one.

Stot 16th February 2013 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eternal (Post 88589)

Oh don't suppose you have the plug that goes to the fuel sender spare? If so let me know as I'm trying to find one.

Thanks!

Ill probably be using the MX5 sender but its possible another plug on the loom that I'm not using is the same so ill take a look.

Cheers
Stot

Eternal 16th February 2013 07:35 PM

Fantastic thanks mate :D

Johno 16th February 2013 08:00 PM

Seemed to have missed this one somehow...:o
Great to see another MX5 version on the go and it looks like you're off to a flying start.:) :)
Keep the pictures coming...

PorkChop 16th February 2013 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stot (Post 88590)
Thanks!

Ill probably be using the MX5 sender but its possible another plug on the loom that I'm not using is the same so ill take a look.

Cheers
Stot

All the plugs bar one (on the steering column) are unique.

The uprights shouldn't needed reaming - I thought BMW 5 series ends had the correct taper for MX5 uprights?

Lots of progress though - puts me to shame (although I have a fairly good excuse to not weld my chassis up yet) :o

Stot 17th February 2013 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PorkChop (Post 88601)
The uprights shouldn't needed reaming - I thought BMW 5 series ends had the correct taper for MX5 uprights?

I opted to ream the uprights as I couldn't find the BMW version. The reamer tool was £4.10 from Axminster and I knew I would be able to do it this way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSC MX5 Build
A change in threaded insert is required to M14 x 1.5mm thread to accommodate a change in
drag link to a 3 series BMW insert, Motaquip part number – PVTR325.

Even using the part number on the Motaquip website turned up nothing, in fact a Google search for that part number only found the build manual. :confused:

Cheers
Stot

Davidbolam 17th February 2013 09:52 AM

I reamed mine out. Andy at ssc attached the reamer to a drill and it was done in no time. Never heard anyone using BMW fittings before.

Davidbolam 17th February 2013 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eternal (Post 88589)

I need to get some mx5 bits in the next few weeks so am going to visit the breaker I use. I will try any get you one there. They normally bin the looms so probably will be free.

PorkChop 17th February 2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stot (Post 88604)
I opted to ream the uprights as I couldn't find the BMW version. The reamer tool was £4.10 from Axminster and I knew I would be able to do it this way.

Even using the part number on the Motaquip website turned up nothing, in fact a Google search for that part number only found the build manual. :confused:

Cheers
Stot

Ah, yes. It's a typo. There's no P in the part number - the part number is VTR325 (BMW E34 5 series saloon, 1988-1996).

PorkChop 17th February 2013 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davidbolam (Post 88605)
I reamed mine out. Andy at ssc attached the reamer to a drill and it was done in no time. Never heard anyone using BMW fittings before.

It's in the SSC build guide, Phil does his MX5 wishbones to suit the BMW stuff, I'm going to be using them (although I nearly bought 3 series ones by mistake :o) and Johno has too.

Stot 17th February 2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PorkChop (Post 88607)
Ah, yes. It's a typo. There's no P in the part number - the part number is VTR325 (BMW E34 5 series saloon, 1988-1996).

:doh: Never mind, more than one way to skin a cat I suppose.

Cheers
Stot

Johno 18th February 2013 09:24 PM

Hi Stot,:)
I hear you was down my neck of the woods Saturday.
If I had known I could have shown you round my car and had a chat.
The car was in the workshop where you picked up your stuff from and I was working on it upto about 4o'clock so must have just missed you...:(

Stot 19th February 2013 08:38 AM

Hi Johno,

I missed that bodywork by minutes unfortunately so it wasn't me if that's what you meant?

I was at home helping Phil @ Talon load my MX5 shell onto the back of his truck. :D

Never seen another man make my wife so happy.... :p

Cheers
Stot

Stot 20th February 2013 09:58 PM

a wee update. I needed to strip the rear uprights completely and I had a seized bolt stuck in one of them. I had cut the bolt to remove the upright from the wishbone.

I spent an age trying to get the damn circlip out of the upright and in the end took an old set of vice grips and welded them to the circlip!

Came out in seconds and i pressed the bearings out with a 12 ton press.

Ready for final blasting an painting.

Stot 20th February 2013 10:00 PM

Next up the seized bolt.

I center drilled it on the mill and then used a dead center in the press to free it up and a long socket to push it through.

It went with a bang.

Stot 20th February 2013 10:01 PM

I drifted it out the rest of the way.

Another job done.

Cheers
Stot

Stot 22nd February 2013 10:35 AM

Got the rear drivetrain bits blasted and painted. These are first coat pictures but I did the second coat this morning so they are done.

I have new bearings, brake seals, ball joints etc to go on. Be rolling soon... :eek:

Cheers
Stot

skov 22nd February 2013 02:43 PM

Nice work!
I gave up trying to remove the bolts out of my rear uprights and bought another pair with them pre-removed :rolleyes:

Stot 22nd February 2013 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skov (Post 88703)
Nice work!
I gave up trying to remove the bolts out of my rear uprights and bought another pair with them pre-removed :rolleyes:

Its definately handy having some big tools kicking around! If I hadnt been able to push it out I was going to mill it out but I managed to save the mess. :)

Cheers
Stot

Eternal 22nd February 2013 05:58 PM

Nice work :D Looking forward to seeing more!

Talonmotorsport 22nd February 2013 07:32 PM

They come out a lot easier if you can spin the bolts in the uprights with an impact gun, soak over night with oil, then they come out with a drift and a big Ammer!

Johno 22nd February 2013 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talonmotorsport (Post 88709)
They come out a lot easier if you can spin the bolts in the uprights with an impact gun, soak over night with oil, then they come out with a drift and a big Ammer!

Yep I'll second that as thats what we done.:)

Stot 22nd February 2013 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talonmotorsport (Post 88709)

Exactly how I got the other side off. This one, it wouldn't turn even with a 4 ft break bar and I was hammering like buggery until the end of the bolt was mushrooming with no joy so I made the executive decision to get the angle grinder out. :D

Cheers
Stot

Stot 23rd February 2013 09:19 PM

Uprights are ready to just bolt on now with all new brake seals, new rear bearings and new bushes. :cool:

Next I need to finish welding up the chassis and get the wishbone brackets tacked up.

Cheers
Stot

ayjay 23rd February 2013 10:52 PM

Very nice indeed;)

Stot 26th February 2013 11:39 AM

Look what just turned up from Phil @ Talon. :D

He even painted them for me. :cool:

Cheers
Stot

Stot 3rd March 2013 07:48 PM

Made some more progress with the chassis. Trans tunnel is in and suspension brackets are on.

One of my D12s has gone missing. :mad: most everything else is fully welded.

I trial fitted one of the front suspension and uprights to see how it would fit too.

Look a bit weird from that angle but it will probably make sense once I do them flat.

Cheers
Stot

Johno 3rd March 2013 08:44 PM

Some cracking progress there :)
Are the wishbones roughly based on the Saturn design? If so you may have a problem with the steering arm extension hitting the lower wishbone. You can get round it by limiting the amount of steering lock as it only just hits on full lock.
I know Phil made some lower wishbones with a slight bend in them to get over this as well I believe for the Voodou design I think.
Any thoughts on how you are going to mount your diff yet? It's been a topic of much debate in the past on which way to mount it.

Looking forward to more photos...:cool: :cool:

Stot 4th March 2013 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johno (Post 88846)
Some cracking progress there :)
Are the wishbones roughly based on the Saturn design? If so you may have a problem with the steering arm extension hitting the lower wishbone. You can get round it by limiting the amount of steering lock as it only just hits on full lock.

They are based on Saturn design, Phil made them for me, I'm a little concerned with how far it looks like I may have to have the drag links wound out to get to 1-2 degrees camber at the moment. Looks like there may only be 3/4"-1" of thread in the wishbone. Wont know properly till next weekend. I may shorten my rack as the book suggests which may limit the lock to lock enough that I dont need to put any stops on it. If not, Ill knock up some stops. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johno (Post 88846)
Any thoughts on how you are going to mount your diff yet? It's been a topic of much debate in the past on which way to mount it.

Hanging it from the arms but not sure on supporting the nose at the moment.

The next goal is to get it rolling so that I can wheel it to and from my detached garage so steering uprights and maybe handbrake next.

Cheers
Stot

Stot 5th March 2013 09:42 PM

Made a start on my pedal box tonight.

I note on the MX5 setup the furthest left lower bolt hole is covered by the pedal so needs to be repositioned.

Cheers
Stot

Davidbolam 5th March 2013 09:49 PM

Both skov and myself noticed on he mx5 the accelerator pedal moves a long way. It might be an idea before its installed to see if it can be modified in some way.