Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Announcements (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Starting another build thread! (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12934)

Cropper 7th September 2013 10:31 PM

Starting another build thread!

5 Attachment(s)
Hi all, I have been looking on here for a while now & had convinced myself that my new project would be a self build 7 replica. I decided that the mx5 route would probably be the best way to go. That was a couple of months ago, I also thought, no rush, we are in the middle of planning a wedding, trying to move the future in-laws from a 3 bed house to a 1 bed apartment!!
Anyway as I was browsing ebay, as you do, I came across a chassis for sale, vmax1974, I ended up putting in a bid & won. No problem I thought, i'll just put the chassis in the garage for now. Trouble is you can't just leave it alone!! So I started to finish of the chassis, just plod on I thought. Anyway last Tuesday the girlfriend trashes the back tyre on her, mid life crisis SLK, rings up for assistance & then proceeds on her way out in my car, leaving me stranded with the SLK! Same thing on Wednesday morning, I have to sort her car out & be late into work while she takes mine.
The guy in the local tyre shop also does a bit with MX5's so as he's relieving me of cash for a tyre, I say do you know of any rotten MX5's, 1.8 etc. He turned round & pointed to a car outside & says how about that one! 1.8 limited slip diff etc, import. He bought it for the roof, which was new. Any way he wanted roof seats, lights, window glass & a few other bits. A deal was done & it now sits in my garage! I think £150 was a bit of a good deal!
So it wasn't my fault that I bought it because if my girlfriend hadn't trashed her tyre I would never been in the tyre shop!!
So even though I wasn't really ready to start, it is happening, work on the chassis will now stop for a while whilst I get the MX5 stripped & get some garage space back, apparently my 8 x 4 trailer is now spoiling the view of the garden.
I have included a few photo's to show the MX5 & full garage.

I will try & keep up the posts but time is of a premium at the moment.

hope my ramblings aren't too bad

Hope the pictures have uploaded

Davidbolam 7th September 2013 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cropper (Post 93440)
Hi all, I have been looking on here for a while now & had convinced myself that my new project would be a self build 7 replica. I decided that the mx5 route would probably be the best way to go. That was a couple of months ago, I also thought, no rush, we are in the middle of planning a wedding, trying to move the future in-laws from a 3 bed house to a 1 bed apartment!!
Anyway as I was browsing ebay, as you do, I came across a chassis for sale, vmax1974, I ended up putting in a bid & won. No problem I thought, i'll just put the chassis in the garage for now. Trouble is you can't just leave it alone!! So I started to finish of the chassis, just plod on I thought. Anyway last Tuesday the girlfriend trashes the back tyre on her, mid life crisis SLK, rings up for assistance & then proceeds on her way out in my car, leaving me stranded with the SLK! Same thing on Wednesday morning, I have to sort her car out & be late into work while she takes mine.
The guy in the local tyre shop also does a bit with MX5's so as he's relieving me of cash for a tyre, I say do you know of any rotten MX5's, 1.8 etc. He turned round & pointed to a car outside & says how about that one! 1.8 limited slip diff etc, import. He bought it for the roof, which was new. Any way he wanted roof seats, lights, window glass & a few other bits. A deal was done & it now sits in my garage! I think £150 was a bit of a good deal!
So it wasn't my fault that I bought it because if my girlfriend hadn't trashed her tyre I would never been in the tyre shop!!
So even though I wasn't really ready to start, it is happening, work on the chassis will now stop for a while whilst I get the MX5 stripped & get some garage space back, apparently my 8 x 4 trailer is now spoiling the view of the garden.
I have included a few photo's to show the MX5 & full garage.

I will try & keep up the posts but time is of a premium at the moment.

hope my ramblings aren't too bad

Hope the pictures have uploaded

Hi there it's good to see vmaxs build is still in progress.

Where abouts are you?

David

Cropper 7th September 2013 10:52 PM

Hi I am based in Lancashire, between Preston & Southport

alga 8th September 2013 02:36 AM

Well, it's your destiny, see! I wish you that your current motivation carries through to the end, if you have enough of enthusiasm and money, you could be done in 6 months or so!

twinturbo 8th September 2013 09:54 AM

there was/is a couple of builders in your area.

Welcome in, and perhaps the donor find is a sign of good luck :)

TT

Cropper 8th September 2013 10:51 AM

Thanks Guys, motivation is there, money is a bit lacking with a wedding to pay for, but there's lots to do which needs more of a time commitment rather than cash, hopefully I will still make money back on the mx5 bits I don't need, it's an import so has air-con & power steering, the Aircon even works.

K4KEV 8th September 2013 11:48 AM

Welcome Cropper, good to know that a build started on here has been taken up by yourself .....good luck and anything you want to know just ask on here.

PorkChop 8th September 2013 12:21 PM

Welcome. A word of caution though - just because it is an Eunos doesn't mean that it has an LSD. It's the most common misconception. FWIW the Torsen LSDs are worth £250 on their own.

Cropper 8th September 2013 12:43 PM

The guy who I got it off told me it had a LSD & he deals with MX5's all the time so I presume he is correct, time will tell I suppose when I can get to it properly. Even if it isn't I think I got a good deal.

vmax1974 8th September 2013 01:30 PM

Cant wait to see it progress glad to see it go to a good home

Keep up the good work

Johno 8th September 2013 01:57 PM

Welcome aboard..:)
Another one to add to the MX5 club.
Sounds like you're off to a good start.

TheArf 8th September 2013 08:18 PM

Welcome to the house of fun, good to see vmaxs hard work being progressed, thats some garage you have there to have your donor and build chassis side by side

Arfon

Cropper 27th September 2013 09:56 PM

Refurb work started

3 Attachment(s)
Hi all

Been stripping the donor recently, soon be ready to lift the body off, when time allows. I set myself an electrolysis tank up in my garden shed(out of the way) & started feeding through my brake calipers, anyway a week later & I had all parts cleaned & ready for paint, with very little work from me, apart from putting things in & out of the bath & a quick wire brush. All parts are now painted, see pictures. That's about all for now, time is limited due to impending wedding & trying to move future in laws from a 3 bed house to a 1 bed apartment! so far 1 skip & 4 car & trailer trips with full car & 8x4 trailer full. We are on first name terms at charity shop & tip!

Cropper 21st October 2013 10:28 PM

Engine Position

Hi All

Just managed to place the engine & gearbox in the chassis, to see what it looks like. I have got a good position for height 40mm below chassis rail & how far back to sit it, but was wondering what the consensus was over positioning around the centre line, there seems to be a few different ideas out there.
I have a Saturn based chassis with a 1.8 MX5 motor. I want to avoid power bulges on the bonnet!

Thanks
Neil

Davidbolam 21st October 2013 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cropper (Post 94149)
Hi All

Just managed to place the engine & gearbox in the chassis, to see what it looks like. I have got a good position for height 40mm below chassis rail & how far back to sit it, but was wondering what the consensus was over positioning around the centre line, there seems to be a few different ideas out there.
I have a Saturn based chassis with a 1.8 MX5 motor. I want to avoid power bulges on the bonnet!

Thanks
Neil

Hi Neil,

If you are using the 1.8 engine this will fit with it place directly down the centreline. i'm using a 1.6 engine and have it slightly towards the nearside which means there is a little bit more room for the clutch slave cylinder to work.

David

Cropper 11th October 2015 08:48 PM

Sorry it's been a long time since I posted but thanks to the info already on here I have just been bee earring away for the last 2 years. Thought it was about time I posted some photo's since it's nearly finished. Have a look at the pictures. Thanks Neil
https://www.flickr.com/gp/136904711@N05/55YHa0

Badger 11th October 2015 11:47 PM

Looking bloody good there :)

Ianr 12th October 2015 11:05 AM

Looks brilliant, like your seats, they look the same as mine which came from a Renault Scenic :)

Cropper 12th October 2015 01:21 PM

Yes, they are the centre rear seat from a mk 1 Scenic, 1 cost £10, the other was extorniate at £30!

voucht 12th October 2015 04:22 PM

Hi,

Your car looks awesome !

Are you sure the 90° elbow between your filler neck and the fuel tank is fuel resistant? It looks like a cooling (water) silicone elbow to me, but I might be mistaken as I can't see the internal layer. Fuel resistant silicone hoses/elbows have a fluoro-silicone layer inside (usually brick orange-red colour).
However, with the fumes in the fuel tank compartment, the outside layer of silicone will certainly not last forever, and I would rather go directly for a 100% Nitrile elbow like this one, which are specifically designed for filling circuits.

But it is just my humble opinion :p

Anyway, congratulations for the car!

Cropper 12th October 2015 08:38 PM

You made me wonder about the fuel pipe, I thought it was correct but still had to go in the garage to look at what I had left! Anyway there was nothing to worry about, see photo. Thanks for your comments.
https://flic.kr/p/zpGKGg

Cheer's
Neil

vmax1974 12th October 2015 11:53 PM

Bloody hell thats never the same chassis is it looks great well done

Davidbolam 13th October 2015 01:06 AM

Your car looks really good. Nice to see another mx5 engined roadster.

One mod I have made to mine is the coolant expansion tank. I have this now plumbed to just ahead of the thermostat and I have a close loop where the heater used to go. The expansion tank was getting really hot. Now I have no problems at all

David

Cropper 13th October 2015 01:23 PM

Thanks David, i will see how it goes, it seems to work fine at the moment, but it could be a different matter when i get it on the road.

Cropper 17th June 2016 06:06 PM

Passed the IVA today, 2nd attempt, failed on silly things & back brakes first time. Ref forms already in the post! I drove to Chadderton for the retest, about 38 miles each way, I went on normal roads going, help bed the brakes some more, but came back on the motorway, everything ran perfect but my drivers mirror did come loose on the motorway, could be something to do with speed!https://www.flickr.com/gp/136904711@N05/030g50

vmax1974 17th June 2016 06:35 PM

Awesome well done i am really happy to see it go through

Cropper 17th June 2016 06:43 PM

Thanks, it's a great feeling, makes the drive home very :)

garyt 17th June 2016 07:11 PM

congratulations on the pass now get the registration and enjoy, feels good doesn't it ?? :)

Cropper 30th June 2016 06:18 PM

Got my reg number from the DVLA today, plates should arrive tomorrow:) :)

vmax1974 30th June 2016 06:21 PM

Well done now enjoy

Cropper 30th June 2016 07:49 PM

Thanks, just praying for nice weather now!

garyt 30th June 2016 08:46 PM

nice one now enjoy her :)

metal matt 1st July 2016 11:21 AM

well done that's another Haynes roadster on the road

Cropper 1st July 2016 08:59 PM

The weather has been a bit iffy today but I have managed a couple of trips out, need to lift the rear suspension a bit as it the wheels are catching the arches with a passenger on board or during spirited cornering:) . The new throttle pulley seems to work well with reduced pedal travel, I would certainly recommend it for any one using a book pedal box & the mazda 1800 engine.

RandyBMC 12th April 2018 11:05 PM

That throttle pulley looks awesome. Is there a throttle stop on that end like stock?