Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Chassis (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Picture of steering shaft to rack ?? (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=5502)

Andy_B 30th November 2010 06:58 PM

Picture of steering shaft to rack ??

Evening..been hunting through some build diarys for a pic of what you have done with the steering column to rack setup ...picked up my nice refurbed rack today and it looks a hell of a close to U2 ...does anybody have a good pic or can link me to one...many thanks

HandyAndy 30th November 2010 09:03 PM

I,ve posted up pics of the extension to the steering column to the rack, quite a while ago mind, i,ve got some pics I could email to you if you wish?

Yes it does run close to "U2", thats the reason that i,ve "stepped" my extension as it goes down from the bulkhead down to the rack.

I,ll have a look thru my past posts & see if I can find the thread with the photos in.......gulp :eek: i,ve got alot of posts to look thru :D

cheers
andy

Andy_B 30th November 2010 09:23 PM

Cheers andy have PM'd you my email add...thanks

HandyAndy 30th November 2010 09:34 PM

PM replied to ,

cheers
andy

HandyAndy 30th November 2010 10:14 PM

I,ve found a couple of pics from my photobucket account so thought i,d post them on this thread, hope the pics help.

You might be able to see how I,ve "stepped" the extension from the bulkhead down to the "group 4" coupling that attaches to the rack.

cheers
andy

AshG 30th November 2010 10:38 PM

i have got a 19mm single piece shaft on mine as i didnt fancy a cut and shut job for the exact reason you mention.

HandyAndy 30th November 2010 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AshG (Post 49562)
i have got a 19mm single piece shaft on mine as i didnt fancy a cut and shut job for the exact reason you mention.

Ash has gone about it slightly different from me ,

I used the available materials I had to hand to complete the job, this is just the way I did it, tho its not the "only" way ;) .

But, i would like to say that by using a Group 4 coupling at the rack end & making use of the original part that has the original rubber coupling,( which i cut in half & placed up the top near CP16), allows me to remove the extension quite easily by unbolting just 2 bolts without the need to unbolt the group 4 coupling from the rack.

We all have our "own take" on how to achieve the task :)

cheers
andy

Andy_B 30th November 2010 11:41 PM

jeeesus that looks bloody close !!! i will order a grp4 Joint and take a few pics..i had a thought that the engine mount would be easier to re fabricate if it gets in the way of the steering shaft...so i would do the shaft first...possibly a good call !!

HandyAndy 1st December 2010 07:16 AM

The photos are a little deceiving, there is quite alot of clearance as the shaft passes the engine mount & "U2".
Tho , yes it was well worth it fabricating a new engine mount rather than use the original Ford item.

cheers
andy

spud69 1st December 2010 11:00 AM

It does go Andy, tis just very tight. Also make sure you weld the extension piece in nice and straight so that it doesn't turn eccentrically and hit the upright.

Andrew