Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   SVA/Legal (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   IVA and brakes (just a quick basic question) (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=4359)

kevanf1 28th May 2010 12:54 PM

IVA and brakes (just a quick basic question)

Hi all. I'm not currently building a vehicle but am thinking of doing so at some future date. I'm currently too busy getting my 2a Land Rover ambulance sorted.

So, my question. I read the that the IVA test was going to call for ABS braking systems to be built into self build (amateur) vehicles (or cars at the least). Is this true or was it dropped?

Cheers.

Kevan

gingea1pom 28th May 2010 01:38 PM

Kevan,

Afternoon, Just and welcome to the forum.

Good question, well presented, deserves an answer and, I am sure, someone will be along to put your mind at rest,:rolleyes: we have a few on here that are very up to speed with current IVA regs.

I to, like to have my punctuation and grammar correct, although not essential on this forum, we are a friendly bunch.:D The question is the important thing. Well the answer is more important!

Enjoy.

Cheers Ginge

Neil P 28th May 2010 01:49 PM

Kevan,

despite Ginge's schoolmasterlike positive appraisal of your sentence structure, I have to disagree.

I'm sure you will be beside yourself when you spot the
Quote:

I read the that the IVA test
blooper! :D

As for the question, I can only assume, given the number of IVA passes without it, that it isn't a requirement.

Neil

kevanf1 28th May 2010 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil P (Post 39060)
Kevan,

despite Ginge's schoolmasterlike positive appraisal of your sentence structure, I have to disagree.

I'm sure you will be beside yourself when you spot the blooper! :D

As for the question, I can only assume, given the number of IVA passes without it, that it isn't a requirement.

Neil

Oops, you are right, Neil. That would be my brain getting ahead of myself :)

As for the ABS part of my question. It would appear to look promising then. My fingers are firmly crossed, together with my knuckles being self rapped.

Cheers guys.

Take care.

Kevan

snapper 30th May 2010 06:51 AM

Having just accompanied my good friend Gavinc from locostbuilders & Essex kit car club to our 4th collective SVA/IVA (all first time pass) I can assure you that ABS is not a reqiurement.
One thing I did notice at IVA that was different from SVA was that the tester checked the edges of the chassis tubes inside the car with the 2.5 mm radius tester, no big deal as most square tube has a round edge but worth a run over any sharp bits with a sander or some filler befor painting.
spelling mistkes, gramatical errors D- see me after school

dogwood 30th May 2010 08:05 AM

I can confirm wot Snapper did said.
ABS brakes not an IVA requirement.

Grammar???
She's married to my Grammpa..:rolleyes:

kevanf1 30th May 2010 01:24 PM

That's good news, cheers guys.

In all honesty I cannot say when I will start my car. As previously stated I am in the process of getting my Series 2a Land Rover ambulance sorted at least for road use. The things needed to bring it up to MoT readiness (as far as I know and I have had it inspected by a friend who did hold a testers license) are minor. There is an annoying exhaust leak which may entail a new system, one rear hub seal is badly leaking and the transmission brake (the Land Rover handbrake) does not hold properly. Of them all the brake is the most critical. It needs a complete new bracket fabricating and welding into place. Easy enough job but there are others things with higher priorities :( It does also mean I can't go fishing... that's the worst of it actually.

Again, many thanks for the information I really do appreciate it.

Kevan