Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   SVA/Legal (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   IVA Friendly silencer (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=4163)

Bonzo 25th April 2010 09:53 PM

IVA Friendly silencer

It'll not be too long before I need to buy a silencer for my Roadster :)

Can anyone reccommend an IVA Friendly silencer that will not break the bank ;)

I have looked at the Robin Hood silencers that Kit Parts Direct sell .... Not too sure about quality of IVA suitability though :confused:

Idealy sub £150 would be nice :)

HandyAndy 25th April 2010 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonzo (Post 36899)
It'll not be too long before I need to buy a silencer for my Roadster

Can anyone reccommend an IVA Friendly silencer that will not break the bank

I have looked at the Robin Hood silencers that Kit Parts Direct sell .... Not too sure about quality of IVA suitability though :confused:

Idealy sub £150 would be nice

My silencer is the Robin Hood version, the edge of the silencer will need some trim to make the radius IVA friendly, I,m not sure if it,ll pass the noise test ( as not had it attached to the engine yet, tho its been on a road registered car ) but its a good fit for the car as it has a slight kink that follows the chassis shape.....
best bit tho.............£7.50 with no postage from ebay :D
Even if it fails the noise test, its a cheap way to find out...if it passes...its a bargain :D ;)

cheers
andy

Bonzo 25th April 2010 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HandyAndy (Post 36901)
My silencer is the Robin Hood version, the edge of the silencer will need some trim to make the radius IVA friendly, I,m not sure if it,ll pass the noise test ( as not had it attached to the engine yet, tho its been on a road registered car ) but its a good fit for the car as it has a slight kink that follows the chassis shape.....
best bit tho.............£7.50 with no postage from ebay :D
Even if it fails the noise test, its a cheap way to find out...if it passes...its a bargain :D

cheers
andy

I'll give you £30 for it & take a chance :D

I don't know how you manage to find all of these bargains mate :)

davidimurray 25th April 2010 10:36 PM

Ronnie - you could always try a standard bike can. Most modern bikes now seem stupidly quiet. I got an almost new exhaust from a Suzuki GSXR 100 K4 for £20 inc delivery from ebay. It bolts on to the rest of the exhaust so easy enough to change. Also has a catalytic converter built into it. The only issue I have with it is that , as per my previous thread, it could do with more of a bend on the outlet. Other than that it is light and as long as it is quiet enough will be perfect.

Of course on my own bike I happen to have a straight through race can on :D

ozzy1 26th April 2010 12:52 AM

Could try RAW motorsport; http://web.mac.com/rawuk/Raw/Price_list.html

5" silencer with clamp 100 quid
6" silencer with clamp 140 quid
6" silencer with Cat and clamp 295 quid.

These are old prices as i bought the 6" with clamp and was about 160quid.

dogwood 26th April 2010 08:32 AM

Hi Ronnie.

The Robinhood one won't pass IVA
I've got the same silencer, and it only just passed the SVA test.
I know the IVA is a lot lower. As Ash found out.
I fitted the Sierra cigar shaped first box, after the test.
See my pic on FS post
Defo made it quieter, Still not sure it's IVA friendly though

HandyAndy 26th April 2010 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dogwood (Post 36913)

The Robinhood one won't pass IVA
I've got the same silencer, and it only just passed the SVA test.

Oops :( oh well never mind ....£7.50 down the drain :eek: :D

cheers
andy

Bonzo 26th April 2010 09:06 AM

Thanks chaps

Cheers for your thoughts chaps :cool:

To be honest, I hadn't given a bike can a great deal of thought .... I am sure if one is able to deal with a 10,000 rpm / 150 bhp fire breathing monster, it'll be well capable of dealing withe the exhaust flow of my litte Zetec engine :D :D

Andy

All is not lost, why not open up the RH one & repack it ;)

davidimurray 27th April 2010 08:39 AM

Ronnie - if you need any info or dimensions of my can let me know. I was quite surprised how light the bike can is as it is all aluminium and titanium :D I think a couple of other guys on here have used bike cans.

Cheers

Dave

spud69 27th April 2010 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidimurray (Post 36999)
Ronnie - if you need any info or dimensions of my can let me know. I was quite surprised how light the bike can is as it is all aluminium and titanium :D I think a couple of other guys on here have used bike cans.

Cheers

Dave

Bike Can for me and easily passed SVA, ebay special with the flared end. Tis really quiet until you boot it then it gives of a nice meaty tone. If you can get a repackable one just to be sure for the tighter IVA test.

AndyH