Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   SVA/Legal (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Seatback panel edges (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=7663)

skov 22nd January 2012 06:56 PM

Seatback panel edges

Do I need to fit trim around the edges of the ali seatback panel for IVA?
Looking through the IVA manual I think it might be exempt from the interior edges/radius rules, but I'm not 100% sure.

Davidbolam 22nd January 2012 10:57 PM

Ii was planning to intall carpet on mine. Then put an edging/finishing strip along the top similar to a westfield to get around this.

davidimurray 22nd January 2012 11:29 PM

On mine, I have made my boot lid extend to be flush with the front edge of the alu sheet and then filled the gap with P trim. If you want any pics I can dig some out.

skov 23rd January 2012 01:53 PM

Thanks Davids!

I was hoping to avoid any carpeting, but I'm getting more and more tempted to chuck some on the seat back and tunnel just for the IVA.

I had a look through your photos and found what you did with the p-trim along the top edge. Have you done anything to the side edges of the seatback?

SeriesLandy 23rd January 2012 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skov (Post 70021)
Thanks Davids!

I was hoping to avoid any carpeting, but I'm getting more and more tempted to chuck some on the seat back and tunnel just for the IVA.

I had a look through your photos and found what you did with the p-trim along the top edge. Have you done anything to the side edges of the seatback?

I've carbon wrapped my seat back as I didn't want carpet there. I've not thought about along the top rail yet.

Also using black rivets so that they blend in with the carbon wrap. Its not rivited on at the moment but I don't think it looks too bad.

minicountryman1961 23rd January 2012 06:10 PM

If you don't cover the Aluminum interior panels with something, won't the interior turn into a solar oven?

shh120m 23rd January 2012 08:44 PM

a good general rule of thumb is if in doubt put some edge trim on, the iva man cant fail you for being too cautious

davidimurray 23rd January 2012 10:58 PM

It's ok - we haven't seen the sun in the UK since 1986!

The IVA manual says -

Rearmost Vertical plane  Where the rearmost designated seat is forward facing; the area starts forward from a theoretical vertical plane 250mm to the rear of the front of the seat backrest (measured where the backrest meets the cushion)

Where the rearmost designated seat is side, rear or centre facing; the area starts forward from a theoretical vertical plane 250mm to the rear of the rear most part of the seat
Where there is a fixed bulkhead or similar within the 250mm measurement this is taken to be the rearmost boundary and is subject to the requirements
Horizontal Plane

The theoretical horizontal plane is determined to be150mm above the top of the lowest seat cushion (measured at the lowest point) extending forward from the rearmost part of the seat back and;

Extending rearwards level with the top of the seat back excluding the head restraint until the horizontal plane intersects the vertical plane. See annex 2

You would need to check with the diagram in section 12 but it would suggest the area behind the seat is exempt

skov 24th January 2012 07:20 AM

I read section 12 over and over again until my head hurt, and I'm still not sure :confused:
I might just wrap the entire car in bubble wrap for the IVA :D