Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Chassis (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Word of Warning Rear Toe in (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=6204)

Ashtonr 31st March 2011 10:53 AM

Thanks Guys, is the track width the same front and back ? guess I need to put all the front and rear suspension back on and check its all paralel, I never did this before I used the book jigs at the front and offerred up the wishbones at the back.

fabbyglass 31st March 2011 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashtonr (Post 56213)
Thanks Guys, is the track width the same front and back ? guess I need to put all the front and rear suspension back on and check its all paralel, I never did this before I used the book jigs at the front and offerred up the wishbones at the back.

Yes front to back, not easy to measure on your own though. If you take a measurement from the rearmost front bracket to one on the rear do exactly the same on the other side. If its on wheels measure centre of wheel to centre of wheel...it MUST be the same CASTOR MUST be the same angle also or weirdness will set in.

mopple 31st March 2011 10:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My solution will be an adjustable rear suspension. Based on Rorty plans and suited to Roadster. I think that my car will be on wheels on summer. Then I can share my experience. Adde also a picture of 3D model.

fabbyglass 31st March 2011 10:57 AM

Doesn't just apply to track cars it's a MUST for road use unless you like hedges;)

james3004 31st March 2011 06:42 PM

I think I'm going to uses washers/ shims on the rear hubs to correct mine

ayjay 31st March 2011 07:50 PM

Puts me in mind of a Renault back in late 70s or early 80s .It was the Renault.5 Ithink. One of the rear wheels was about an inch forward of the other to accomodate some strange suspension idea. They made a selling point of it --Quirky/cute French "flair" or something like that( they were crap anyway ).:mad:

Bonzo 31st March 2011 07:54 PM

Oooh 70s-80s Renault 5

The first thing that springs to mind is .... Rust :D :D

Perhaps that was just Cornwall :o

ayjay 31st March 2011 08:06 PM

No I can assure you it wasn't just Cornwall. That wasn't the worst rust bucket Renault did either. Anyone out there old enough to remember the Renault Dauphin?

Ashtonr 31st March 2011 09:55 PM

Well it gets worse after measuring everything for several hours this evening it appears the wishbones and hubs introduce a little more error as stated by Talon and Trick earlier in this post as well so when there fitted I have the following errors

Front Track NS 0 Front Track OS +3mm
Rear Track NS +3 Rear Track 0

Not realy sure the best way to resolve seems I would need a lot of shims but at least it will go around left hand bends well:mad:

baz-r 3rd April 2011 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonzo (Post 56258)
Oooh 70s-80s Renault 5

The first thing that springs to mind is .... Rust :D :D

Perhaps that was just Cornwall :o

rust! thay would keep owners up at night at you could hear them rusting away on the drive :D

i think i sweped one up in the workshop once
for some reason my first boss had a thing for r4's and r5's the body roll was fantastic im sure you could get 30-35 deg then it would start to slide
unrollable tho?