Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Electrics (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   wiring (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=7953)

misty 16th April 2012 01:14 PM

wiring

Hi All
I would like to run over this with you all to see where i am going wrong
battery+ to large bolt on starter solenoid and from the starter solenoid to alternator, small cable from alternator to ign.

coil+ to dizzy and from dizzy to earth.

alternator to be earthed

run an earth cable from battery to gearbox

Now this is what i have done just wanted to check with you all to see if i am correct.

If i am wrong could you please let me know as i am an idiot so it would have to be idiot proof

many thanks

brainbug007 16th April 2012 01:59 PM

I'm not sure about this for certain, but I think you should have a thick red going from the starter to the battery+, a black/red going from the starter to ignition (it should change to black/blue by the ignition), a red going from the alternator to battery+, and then a thin blue going from the alternator to the instrument cluster.

I'm not sure about the coil/dizzy as my engine doesn't have that setup.

Yes you should have a thick black wire going from the battery- to a gearbox bolt.

SeriesLandy 16th April 2012 02:35 PM

I also had a blue wire going from the alternator to the auto choke.

On the coil, I'm sure the -ve went to earth and the +ve (green wire) went into the esc unit.

Not sure about the dizzy

PS dont take it as gospel, I've slept since then.

baz-r 16th April 2012 06:41 PM

er would depend on what engine and ign setup you have

only bit that sounds odd is the coil bit
usualy ign+ goes to coil+ then the cb side would go to the points that got the neg side conection from the dizzy body but meny later engins had eletronic ign to replace the points.
i think the ign + is still to coil +

twinturbo 16th April 2012 07:26 PM

Agree with BAZ on the coil.

+Ve must be an ignition live feed.
-Ve must be a wire to the correct control module for the engine ( ESC, ESC2, ESC-Hybrid,EEC-IV or TFI )

TT

misty 16th April 2012 07:51 PM

sorry should have said it is a pinto 2 lt engine, no fancy stuff ie ecu or anything like that hope this helps this engine has points

misty 16th April 2012 07:53 PM

meant to say also that on the solenoid there are 2 pillars and 2 spade terms can someone tell me what these are for please the large one is for the batt cable and the alt cable

twinturbo 16th April 2012 07:56 PM

Where did the engine come from? what connections are on the DIZZY?

can you get a pic of the solenoid?

TT

twinturbo 16th April 2012 07:58 PM

If the engine has points then there should be a condensor unit on the outside of the dizzy and a wire , this goes to the coil -VE.

TT

misty 16th April 2012 08:06 PM

great info will get pics tomorrow in daylight many thanks