Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Announcements (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Stots Build Thread (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12492)

K4KEV 24th July 2014 05:36 PM

yeah YEAH.... DO IT... DO IT... DO IT:cool: :cool: :cool:

Stot 2nd August 2014 01:22 PM

Got my windscreen glass today, £35.

Course now I need wipers and demisters. :rolleyes:

Cheers
Stot

CTWV50 2nd August 2014 01:31 PM

That's cheap, looks good too! Next you'll be fitting air bags and air con!:)

Stot 2nd August 2014 09:25 PM

Yeah I was chuffed with the price. 6.4mm laminated glass and they ground the edges too.

Wiper positions and lengths are taking some calculating but I think I have it cracked so to speak. My windscreen is quite shallow so I have to use 8" blades and 6.5" arms but it should work out.

Wiper boxes mounted with the rack at the bottom and the wiper motor under the passenger scuttle.

Cheers
Stot

Stot 5th August 2014 09:14 PM

Got my wipers in place tonight.

Just need to find a way to mount the motor now but the sweep on them works out well.

Cheers
Stot

flyerncle 6th August 2014 10:16 AM

Looks good in a nice retro old school sort of way......:cool:

K4KEV 6th August 2014 03:20 PM

very 'polished' indeed Andrew as ever keep it up matey.

SeriesLandy 6th August 2014 05:30 PM

The screen looks great and suits your car perfectly . I still don't know if I want one as I don't think it 'looks' as good but I have to wear a bike hat so I can see. Unless anyone else has any ideas.

Stot 6th August 2014 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeriesLandy (Post 98192)
The screen looks great and suits your car perfectly . I still don't know if I want one as I don't think it 'looks' as good but I have to wear a bike hat so I can see. Unless anyone else has any ideas.

I do have a set of Aviator goggles that I use on my Bike and that was option 2 for me. :D

Cheers
Stot

skov 7th August 2014 08:23 PM

I tend to wear these most of the time (with the strap fitted rather than the arms):

http://www.uksportseyewear.co.uk/pro...-biker-glasses

If you search the locost forum a discount code pops up for them periodically.

johnl63 8th August 2014 03:59 AM

what are the wipers you used Stot?

Stot 8th August 2014 09:06 AM

The wiper system is classic Mini, like this but I got and old used set for £15.

The wiper arms and 8" blades I got from CBS as they are fully adjustible arms and I didnt know how long I would need to make them once the wheel boxes were installed. Now I know the length I could probably cut down the standard mini wiper arm I have but meh.

All in ~£70 for the wipers.

Cheers
Stot

Stot 11th August 2014 01:05 PM

Heres the shortest video ever showing the sweep I have managed on my postage stamp windscreen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWfW00bISv8

And here is a picture of my Megasquirt install in progress.

It runs, not to great as I ruined a coil bit its all in, stock ECU is unplugged and everything seems to be working.

Cheers
Stot

Dualist 11th August 2014 08:31 PM

Wipers and windscreen are spot on mate, nice job.

Stot 18th August 2014 10:46 AM

So I took a hack saw to my loom yesterday and got rid of quite a few KG of copper and fuse box.

Under dash before,

and now.

Obviously have some to go back in but no where near as much, maybe 10-15%.

Cheers
Stot

jps 19th August 2014 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dualist (Post 98249)

Haven't been following this thread as closely as I should - but these were my thoughts exactly - they look very nice!

Stot 20th August 2014 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jps (Post 98395)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dualist (Post 98249)

Haven't been following this thread as closely as I should - but these were my thoughts exactly - they look very nice!

Cheers guys. Just goes to show that IVA is just the start! :eek:

Cheers
Stot

TheArf 20th August 2014 08:42 AM

Is that the cbs pre built wiring module, it a really tidy instillation

Arfon

Stot 20th August 2014 10:15 AM

Yeah its the CBS one, A guy over on lcb was selling it so I picked it up. Its not designed for EFI so I am adding 2 seperate relays and fuses for that but they can run via the coil/fuel pump output on the CBS board overall.

Cheers
Stot

Stot 21st August 2014 10:31 AM

Woot! :cool: Makes me wish I hadn't hacked the wiring out now... :o

Cheers
Stot

K4KEV 21st August 2014 10:49 AM

get a move on matey cos it is looking like autumn is just around the corner now:( :(

Stot 21st August 2014 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K4KEV (Post 98449)
get a move on matey cos it is looking like autumn is just around the corner now:( :(

The Megasquirt is all in now through the fusebox its just the other circuits so really just running wires from switches to fusebox, an afternoons work I recon/hope.

Cheers
Stot

Davidbolam 21st August 2014 11:41 AM

How long did it take the dvla to process you paperwork?

Have you fitted your other wheel arches yet?

David

p.s nice reg

Stot 21st August 2014 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davidbolam (Post 98452)
How long did it take the dvla to process you paperwork?

Have you fitted your other wheel arches yet?

David

p.s nice reg

Posted my application on Friday 25th July so 3 and a bit weeks til it landed on my desk this morning. I did send them an RMSD envelope to return everything in though.

Havent fitted the clams yet Ill do that when it starts getting too cold to drive.

Cheers
Stot

Stot 21st August 2014 09:25 PM

My V5 was on the doorstep when I got home too. :D Ill be driving it to work next week weather dependent!

Cheers
Stot

Stot 23rd August 2014 10:33 PM

Got enough of the electrics done to put 10 miles on it this evening. Just the tell tales arent all wired up and the tach isnt working at the moment.

Looks a bit like Clarence the Lion with the plate on the front.

Cheers
Stot

garyt 24th August 2014 07:56 AM

looking good, just get out and enjoy the good weather, must admit it makes me jealous and gives a kick up the #### to get on building.
ENJOY :) gary

SeriesLandy 24th August 2014 09:16 AM

Get out and enjoy it. Drive carefully untill you get used to the car. I've just done 370 miles and I'm pushing it a bit harder now. I had a nice 65mile drive last. Night.

Stot 24th August 2014 04:34 PM

Well I took it out for a blast and some motorway to see how it handled it and to let Megasquirts Autotune at it.

70 on the motorway isn't a problem really other than the noise. Doesn't feel twitchy or anything.

When you get off the motorway though it seems that this thing comes alive after 4000rpm. I'm going to have to get used to changing gear a lot later to get the best out of it. Its a bit like riding a redistricted two stroke motorbike. :eek:

Cheers
Stot

flyerncle 24th August 2014 09:37 PM

Cracking reg BYO,build your own !

Stot 25th August 2014 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyerncle (Post 98516)
Cracking reg BYO,build your own !

Full title is Haynes 7 Build Your Own. :D I got it last year and they put it straight on for me at registration, not a lucky coincidence unfortunately.

Cheers
Stot

SeriesLandy 25th August 2014 08:50 AM

I knew I had seen the reg before, now I know why.

Stot 25th August 2014 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeriesLandy (Post 98522)
I knew I had seen the reg before, now I know why.

Yeah I sampled it earlier in the thread. ;)

Another day another idea. The flat windscreen makes the wind fly right round into your face at speed and I have had a pair of brackets in a tin for the last 15 years I thought I could make some use of.

I milled a ridge on the edge as I only have 2 and this will stop them trying to swivel when mounted.

I laser cut some wings from 5mm acrylic and mounted the brackets.

Mounted them to the windscreen frame with some self tappers and jobs a good un.

Stot 25th August 2014 05:58 PM

Should help deflect the wind behind my head instead of right in my face.

Cheers
Stot

alga 26th August 2014 02:34 PM

I'd be interested to know it this helps. I've been reading about this topic, and it seems that the only solution to the wind buffetting problem is full size sidescreens.

TSM Locost 26th August 2014 03:57 PM

I have some similar to these on ebay 111444275589, and yes they are a big improvement than just a screen although full side screens are better.

Stot 26th August 2014 05:10 PM

Yeah I had some on my Jester, they helped a lot. I mean long hair still flails like a galloping horses tail but you dont need to drive doing your best Gilbert Gottfried impression.

Cheers
Stot

Stot 2nd September 2014 05:59 PM

Not sure if this new part my wife gave me last week is going to work out?

:rolleyes:

Cheers
Stot

voucht 2nd September 2014 07:29 PM

Congratulations Stots (I mean, for the baby, I think I already congratulated you for the car ;) ). And same to Mrs Stots of course !

K4KEV 2nd September 2014 08:04 PM

Many congrats Andrew.....seems like your good at making baby's too:D :D